House Price Crash Forum

Surestart Sure Fails

SarahBell

HOLA441
HOLA442

Ive a 3 yo + 6 yo - i refuse to get into the mumsnet abbrievations!

What I've found is that there's not much of distribution in parenting - people re either good parents or bad parents.

There's no middle.

The difference on good + bad parents is not by rich or poor parents.

By rich i mean working.

I used to take my kids to the sally army free playgroup.

There was a mix of rich + poor.

The mums on benefit their got up and got their kids to the hall - it did start at 10am so hardly 6am start.

I never met any bad parents when my eldest was below school age - everyone you interact with at that age are making some sort of effort to spend time with their kids.

Playgroups, park, that sort of stuff.

I did start meeting bad parents when the eldest started school. Then parents !have! to mix their kids.

Thats when the fun starts - kids that have not been socualised i.e. met other kids.

Kids that cannot behave or sit or listen.

Kids that are total *****s already at 5.

Surestarts problem is that it assumes that all parents want to do right by their kids AND will make some effort.

Its a bit like the early Labour job schemes when the working model was that people wanted to work.

Bets indicator of a bad parent is check the school late/no turn up book.

HOLA443

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12423543

Can be the only conclusion from this damming report.

Just ban parents from using a mobile phone whilst looking after their kids.

Reading to 3 year olds is quoted as having a positive impact - as if we didn't know.

Yet they're closing libraries, where anyone can borrow masses of lovely books suitable for 3 year olds for free.

On another recent thread, someone on this forum more or less said what's the point of young children joining libraries, since they can't read. (is there a despair emoticon?) Plus of course what's the point of libraries in the first place, it's all internet now - usual rant of anti-library brigade.

If that's the attitude of some on here, who you'd think might be reasonably intelligent... (despair again)

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA444
HOLA445

The report mentions life expentancy, why on earth if you were poor, struggling through each day would you want another 20 years of it ?

I've read debate after debate about poor but intelligent kids getting a raw deal but I have to say I haven't met many in real life, people who are smart do not stay poor. The opposite also seems to apply, but less so granted.

HOLA446

No shit sherlock.

Having lived in a "lively" inner city area and an exclusive cheshire village, I could bore you with some observations but I won't, its fairly easy to join the dots and no doubt I'd get grief for it if I did.

For example,

Yet they're closing libraries, where anyone can borrow masses of lovely books suitable for 3 year olds for free.

Hulme and Rusholme librry classes - Local parents? Hard to spot ;)

Hale library classes - Predominantly white and over-subscribed

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink

Edited by daiking

HOLA447

Bets indicator of a bad parent is check the school late/no turn up book.

I know someone who thinks it's acceptable to turn up late to school on a regular basis and wondered why the head teacher speaks to her about it.

It says a lot about someone. Feel sorry for the kid. Mum always on mobile is not a good thing. Seen some whilst out today, ignoring their kid whilst on phone and just dragging them about.

And as for books.

You can read kids the paper and if you put some effort into it they'll enjoy it.

There are tons of ways of getting cheap/free kids books too. Playswaps, play schemes, other parents... Yes libraries are great and it's awful when they close, but the really sad thing is the kids who need them most don't go near them.

Edited by SarahBell

HOLA448

Primary schools have a VI in reporting low levels of attainment in their intake 4/5 year olds.

I know of situations where head teachers falsely depress these levels in official records so that it looks like the children make lot of progress after entering the school.

It is probably these school assessments, rather than the pre-school assessments which are being reported.

Not to say there aren't problems, but take these data with a large pinch of salt.

Y

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I personally think Surestart has been one of the success stories of the Labour Government. (I'm a Tory Voter). I am the proud Father of a 6month old boy, who I adore and we use Surestart. The stereotype is that this scheme was setup for poorer members of society to get education for raising their children. The truth is everyone uses Surestart at least those of us, who want to get ahead and do the best for our children and that seems to be irrespective of your current account balance.

I dont think Surestart is cheap though and so there will be those looking to close the scheme.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I know someone who thinks it's acceptable to turn up late to school on a regular basis and wondered why the head teacher speaks to her about it.

It says a lot about someone. Feel sorry for the kid. Mum always on mobile is not a good thing. Seen some whilst out today, ignoring their kid whilst on phone and just dragging them about.

And as for books.

You can read kids the paper and if you put some effort into it they'll enjoy it.

There are tons of ways of getting cheap/free kids books too. Playswaps, play schemes, other parents... Yes libraries are great and it's awful when they close, but the really sad thing is the kids who need them most don't go near them.

skools have librees.