House Price Crash Forum
Si1

Do The Tories Want To Lose The Next Election?

In all seriousness, in all probability there was going to be a bounce following the credit crunch, but the 10 year trajectory for standard of living seems to be down as the costs of the debts and the retiring boomers kick in. Further recessionary aftershocks are inevitable.

Are the tories trying to time it so they benefit from a multi-year bounce from say 2013 to 2015, even though by this time we will be due another recession, and wilfully LOSE the following 2015 election, in full knowledge Labour would get in with another recession round the corner?

It's just that the tories are repairing the balance sheet JUST ENOUGH BUT NO MORE THAN THAT to instill confidence in the markets and permit confidence-led bounce in the short-medium term, but not so much that there will be room to borrow more from 2015 onwards if Labour win that election.

Labour won't have the confidence of the markets to allow them borrow their way out of trouble (because insufficient debt will have been paid down) and will be faced with a real recession and suddenly increased interest rates on national borrowing (owing to being Labour) - a credit crunch aftershock - sometime between 2015 and 2020 - which they will get the blame for. Then tory election victory in 2020.

(reason I thought this - the tories seem to have done nothing to limit the leftwing narrative of things like Question Time, or even to challenge it much, except in the initial afterglow of the May election victory; they are almost encouraging the abuse, I am just assuming there is a reason for this; one other reason could be to strengthen the coalition - nothing like an external political threat to encourage co-operation)

Doesnt seem to matter which bunch of PPE graduates are running the country, I thought politics was about to get interesting and partys would slightly revert to their founding principles in this depression i couldnt have been more wrong.

A referendum on the EU could be the Torys trump card for the next election ... but Dave will never play it.

I see a LIBLAB coalition backed by the jock and taffy partys at the next election unless of course electoral reform whatever that is gets voted for.

Edited by I-hate-scumlords

Nope no of them want to lose ,lets face it they are only there because they want to be none off them would ever need to find employment to fund their existence ,so one can only assume they are doing the job for the power that comes with it

Edited by long time lurking

If you were someone who didn't follow politics and didn't listen to the news, would you even know the government had changed. Has a single thing changed on the ground?

The ony thing I can think of that the Tories have done is raise the VAT.

But if the fat lunatic didn't lower the VAT in the first place wouldn't it still be 17.5% right now. Further if that fat lunatic hadn't taken house price inflation out of the inflation measure might things have been different now.

Vote for anyone, just not labour.

Edited by scrappycocco

If you were someone who didn't follow politics and didn't listen to the news, would you even know the government had changed. Has a single thing changed on the ground?

The ony thing I can think of that the Tories have done is raise the VAT.

My feeling exactly and having voted for the conservatives last time I'm seriously p!ssed off, they talk of cuts but I'm not seeing any. I could well find myself voting BNP next time around just to throw a spanner in the works.

My feeling exactly and having voted for the conservatives last time I'm seriously p!ssed off, they talk of cuts but I'm not seeing any. I could well find myself voting BNP next time around just to throw a spanner in the works.

there you go - they'[re preparing the ground for a modest bounce in a few years, not permanent office

I think they're planning the cuts to be hard and fast, however they need to start soon.

Once all the of the pain has been taken, then hopefully the economy will be growing and they'll have a little bit of money left over to bribe the socilist masses/spongers who want everything for free.

Hopefully it'll work

I voted for the carefully implied hints of whiggism.

As I've seen no sign of it outside of rhetoric, next time I'll be voting for the most frightening bunch of lunatics I can find that have some outside chance of keeping their deposit.

Hopefully, enough people will do this to affect post election policy, before enough people do it to let the lunatics actually take power.

Guest The Relaxation Suite

In all seriousness, in all probability there was going to be a bounce following the credit crunch, but the 10 year trajectory for standard of living seems to be down as the costs of the debts and the retiring boomers kick in. Further recessionary aftershocks are inevitable.

Are the tories trying to time it so they benefit from a multi-year bounce from say 2013 to 2015, even though by this time we will be due another recession, and wilfully LOSE the following 2015 election, in full knowledge Labour would get in with another recession round the corner?

It's just that the tories are repairing the balance sheet JUST ENOUGH BUT NO MORE THAN THAT to instill confidence in the markets and permit confidence-led bounce in the short-medium term, but not so much that there will be room to borrow more from 2015 onwards if Labour win that election.

Labour won't have the confidence of the markets to allow them borrow their way out of trouble (because insufficient debt will have been paid down) and will be faced with a real recession and suddenly increased interest rates on national borrowing (owing to being Labour) - a credit crunch aftershock - sometime between 2015 and 2020 - which they will get the blame for. Then tory election victory in 2020.

(reason I thought this - the tories seem to have done nothing to limit the leftwing narrative of things like Question Time, or even to challenge it much, except in the initial afterglow of the May election victory; they are almost encouraging the abuse, I am just assuming there is a reason for this; one other reason could be to strengthen the coalition - nothing like an external political threat to encourage co-operation)

It doesn't make any substantive difference who wins/loses because they are all essentially the same with some superficial differences in terms of social outcomes that are so technical they're not worth thinking about. It's all just vaudeville. Politically, Ed Balls, Nick Clegg and David Cameron could all be on different wings of the same party.

Why vote?

And I thought the Tories would commit political suicide by enacting the cuts too soon, too deeply, and with little forethought? :blink:

A reasonable assumption. I never believed they would make cuts, because I knew who the brothers in law, cousins, parents and so on of the Tory leaders were. Almost all are in very lucrative government jobs.

The only one I did see who looked like he had the will was George Osbourne. The others all seemed like beta, go along to get along types.

One thing I found interesting is on something like question time where the 3 mainstream parties are and the BNP, how the 3 mainstream parties appear as clones. And they all unite and agree with each other in attacking an alternative politicial ideology.

The only thing I can think of that the Tories have done is raise the VAT.

Good point, VAT increase and the thumbscrews turned on students is all I've really noticed, neither of which I like.

There seems to be some talk of cuts but so far all I've seen is them charging people more for things instead of actually cutting back.

Meanwhile we continue to carry a £3bn deficit each week, the debt continues to grow, the trade balance gets more and more ridiculous each month, etc, etc. Did Gordon actually leave or did he just morph into Cameron and who the hell is that glove puppet they called Clegg?

They didn't win the last election what makes you think they can win next time.

The Tories don't really have a mandate to make these radical cuts and attack our nhs. They didn't have a majority.

It doesn't make any substantive difference who wins/loses because they are all essentially the same with some superficial differences in terms of social outcomes that are so technical they're not worth thinking about. It's all just vaudeville. Politically, Ed Balls, Nick Clegg and David Cameron could all be on different wings of the same party.

Quite.

The Tories don't really have a mandate to make these radical cuts and attack our nhs. They didn't have a majority.

Yeah, boo to the nasty party, I want my miracle economy back, 'like wot labour gave us'.

Coalitions are a very normal part of the political in much of the world, get over it. And I'll take the cuts to ensure a better future, thanks.

Why vote?

I just can't understand why people suggest not voting, or encourage people to spoil their ballot papers.

No-one takes any notice of spoiled papers - they're just binned. Wasted. A wasted opportunity to vote for someone.

Agreed, often there are no real differences between the main three parties, but there are usually independents or minor candidates to vote for.

If you don't actually cast your vote why do you think you have a right to complain about anything?

If you don't like who's in power then the only way (short of revolution) to get rid of them is to vote for somone else.

Not voting is simply bone-idleness.

Spoiling you ballot paper is just throwing your toys out of your pram.

Bring on the revolution!

Why vote?

And I thought the Tories would commit political suicide by enacting the cuts too soon, too deeply, and with little forethought? :blink:

I don't think they've done enough.

There's still a culture of those at the top sitting in gold thrones whilst the plebs at the bottom suffer.

Equalisation needs to happen.

High wages need to come down.

I'm with the Archibishop on this - footballers etc are paid too much.

Until they're paid something sensible (for kicking a bloody ball about) then we're all doomed.

And Labour got a majority in each election they won did they?

Doesnt seem to matter which bunch of PPE graduates are running the country, I thought politics was about to get interesting and partys would slightly revert to their founding principles in this depression i couldnt have been more wrong.

A referendum on the EU could be the Torys trump card for the next election ... but Dave will never play it.

I see a LIBLAB coalition backed by the jock and taffy partys at the next election unless of course electoral reform whatever that is gets voted for.

Most of the alexander cohort of Ppe grads i knocked about withh were more into eccies than economics. Amazing number of bicycle couriers in the class of 1993.

Didn't Mervyn King say something like the party that takes power after the election (2010) will not be in power again for another generation. That seems a bit extreme but I don't think the Tories stand much chance at the next election unless something truly miraculous happens. They couldn't even win against a truly abysmal Gordon Brown and when up against Gordon Brown as incumbent PM even the LibDems lost 5 seats.

I think the next election isn't much more than a year away because the Coalition will collapse as Lib Dem grass roots support collapses.

I'm a life-ling Lib Dem voter but I will be voting Labour next time. I know Gordon Brown was a disaster, but the Torylition has just carried on that disaster by using Labour's bail-out mistake as an excuse to punish the public. The country isn't going to forgive a group of rich men taking an axe to the infrastructure of society. They should be getting the bail-out money back from the banks - more than what they're doing already.

Exactly. This is horrendously undemocratic, these huge cuts are being made by an unelected government. It's unelected because it's fair to assume that 0% of Lib Dem voters voted for a Tory government, which is what we've got. A coalition would be fine if the parties were broadly similar in what they stood for, but the Torylition is just doing one thing after another that are totally against what Lib Dems stood for. And yet we couldn't expect the Lib Dem tail to be wagging the Tory dog, as they are the minority partner. Within the coalition it seems, policy is first-past-the -post, which means that all the policies are undiluted Tory George Osborne ones.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

I'm a life-ling Lib Dem voter but I will be voting Labour next time. I know Gordon Brown was a disaster,

You do know labour are talking to libdems now anyway, stealing policy ideas as they have nothing of their own, and will abuse the relationship just as much as tories do.