House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nowhere To Go

Made An Offer

Hi,

I have been an avid reader of HPC for many years and totally believe house prices are way overpriced!

We STR'd last year and I am constantly watching rightmove on a daily basis, often more than twice a day just to see what is happening in my local area.

Anyway we have been looking at a few properties over the past few weeks and all the time in the back of my mind I am thinking now is not the time to buy but we have a little girl that starts school next year and would like to be settled in the right catchment area before then.

I finally found a house that I would be willing to part with my money for and today made an offer 20% lower than asking price (£159,950 so I offered £128K), I would have been prepared to go to £135K but our offer was flately refused and the sellers are wanting asking price or there abouts.

This house has been on the market since last April and has had no offers until ours today!

I honestly don't see this pack of cards coming down anytime soon, it was only yesterday the estate agent was telling me all prices are negotiable but today the seller said NO!

We don't live in a high wage town and have a very healthy deposit of 90K which most people don't have so who and how are people buying these houses, not that I think this one will sell for anywhere near asking price as one of the pitfalls of the property was the fact that the kitchen wouldn't house the washer and dryer and these were plummed in an outhouse. There was no off road parking, no garage and they still expect £159,950!!!! The sellers are deluded, I don't think I will be looking to buy this year and we will sit it out in our rented place.

Hi,

I have been an avid reader of HPC for many years and totally believe house prices are way overpriced!

We STR'd last year and I am constantly watching rightmove on a daily basis, often more than twice a day just to see what is happening in my local area.

Anyway we have been looking at a few properties over the past few weeks and all the time in the back of my mind I am thinking now is not the time to buy but we have a little girl that starts school next year and would like to be settled in the right catchment area before then.

I finally found a house that I would be willing to part with my money for and today made an offer 20% lower than asking price (£159,950 so I offered £128K), I would have been prepared to go to £135K but our offer was flately refused and the sellers are wanting asking price or there abouts.

This house has been on the market since last April and has had no offers until ours today!

I honestly don't see this pack of cards coming down anytime soon, it was only yesterday the estate agent was telling me all prices are negotiable but today the seller said NO!

We don't live in a high wage town and have a very healthy deposit of 90K which most people don't have so who and how are people buying these houses, not that I think this one will sell for anywhere near asking price as one of the pitfalls of the property was the fact that the kitchen wouldn't house the washer and dryer and these were plummed in an outhouse. There was no off road parking, no garage and they still expect £159,950!!!! The sellers are deluded, I don't think I will be looking to buy this year and we will sit it out in our rented place.

The buyer may decide to accept or negotiate further with you, so long as you wait. If they need to sell, then they will be back. If not, then they may sit on it in self delusion that their home is worth more than you offer. They may have forgotten that it will only be worth what someone is prepared to pay.

Hi,

Don't be disheartened. This is ONE house. That particular vendor might be insane/deluded/stubborn as hell. They might not need to sell but sooner or later someone else will.

I have just had the same thing house was up for for 295000 (came on last july) we offered 260000 with no chain and mortgage in place with large deposit the house is empty as the owner died, the family refused the offer and said they want asking price or just under.

I have just had the same thing house was up for for 295000 (came on last july) we offered 260000 with no chain and mortgage in place with large deposit the house is empty as the owner died, the family refused the offer and said they want asking price or just under.

Go back and say your offer has now been revised to 255k in the light of their attitude. :)

so if you want it and can pay more then you will have to offer more. if you can't pay more, tell them that. if the agent knows what you can afford then you're screwed

so if you want it and can pay more then you will have to offer more. if you can't pay more, tell them that. if the agent knows what you can afford then you're screwed

Dont really want to pay more as needs work doing to it will just move on plenty more fish in the sea.

Hi,

Have you looked how much they paid for it? Could well be that this sort of price would leave them with a shortfall on the mortgage therefore they cannot sell. A lot of people are stuck in that position at the moment. Especially those who were hapless enough to get a Northern Rock Together mortgage or similar.