House Price Crash Forum

Martial Law In Egypt?

Bruce Banner

There may be flag waving and smiles today, but this ain't gonna be a simple transfer of power to a more democratic system.

Army

The West has cocked-up again. We are happy to place/support a tyrant into power, to satisfy our own short term political agenda. But we do nothing to encourage a gradual transition to democracy, and then wonder why extremists grab power.

Mubarak announces he will not step down.

Really? Violence on the way.

Obama's public comments about this have been ... strange. Earlier today all the news channels were fixed on his speech at a university. He turned up all folksy, cracked a few gags, said something about "change" for the young people of Egypt, then got all folksy again. I think all the journalists reacted "Wot, is that it?"

Disappointing, but the Americans must be certain that democracy will deliver a hostile government.

• 1 year later...

Sixteen months later and it looks like the army are going to stay in charge. Quelle surprise.

....I think there's going to be trouble!!!

this smells like civil war proper brewing........not just a minor scuffle in the town square.

....I think there's going to be trouble!!!

this smells like civil war proper brewing........not just a minor scuffle in the town square.

Would they reach an amicable arrangement like their Southern neighbours? To be honest, "South Egypt" would be getting a pretty rough deal (unless they could fill the desert with glass-making solar powered 3-D printers or something).

• 2 years later...

Archived