House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mrs Bear

Forgotten Savings Accounts

Having wondered how on earth people 'forget' savings a/cs (unless they've got dementia) I got a shock recently. Used to have a Bradford and Bing. a/c , shifted nearly all of it out well over a year ago but always keep a very few £ in, in case I want to shift back later.

Have several a/cs now, and constantly watching eagle-eyed (as I thought) for expiring bonus rates, etc.

Suddenly remembered the B&B (now Santander) a/c - found an interest payment from the pre-shift stash - I'd completely forgotten to check. Phoned to find out rate - of course they make it is difficult as poss. to find out on the website - no surprise that it was 0.1%.

Shifted out sharpish but pig sick to think I let them have it at 0.1% since last July. :(

Your loss, their win, THEIR GAME. I noticed a variation in method whereby Barclays advised me in January that an ISA rate will fall through the floor in April. You have reminded me to try and bear this in mind come April. They no doubt are convinced that I will have foregotton by then, and can come out smelling of roses because they did advise me.

Your loss, their win, THEIR GAME. I noticed a variation in method whereby Barclays advised me in January that an ISA rate will fall through the floor in April. You have reminded me to try and bear this in mind come April. They no doubt are convinced that I will have foregotton by then, and can come out smelling of roses because they did advise me.

Put it in your diary to remind you - wish I had. Not a vast amount, but it's the principle.

Were Barclays paying a good rate on an ISA? I have a current a/c with them and they've asked me several times lately whether I've checked their 'products' - yes, thanks and rates (didn't check ISAs since do those elsewhere) were rubbish.

One good thing I have to say about Northern Rock - when I phoned them a few months ago to ask what my IR was, the girl told me without my asking that the bonus expired on Jan 12th this year. And I did remember - v easy to open one of their new a/cs online and switch - all done in 24 hours. Can't do that with Santander, although they're paying a good rate for instant access.

I keep track of money using a spreadsheet (or two).

I have columns for amount in, interest rates (net and gross), maturity date (or date when the bonus IR ends)... etc.

I have not so far (as far as I know) allowed any money to slip through the net and languish on 0.1% or similar.

I am, to be sure, a smug-pants.

But then, when the banks know nothing about loyalty to long-standing (or even medium-standing) customers... :angry:

Show them no loyalty, for you shall receive none! :)

Edited by Ologhai Jones

I keep track of money using a spreadsheet (or two).

I have columns for amount in, interest rates (net and gross), maturity date (or date when the bonus IR ends)... etc.

I have not so far (as far as I know) allowed any money to slip through the net and languish on 0.1% or similar.

I am, to be sure, a smug-pants.

But then, when the banks know nothing about loyalty to long-standing (or even medium-standing) customers... :angry:

Show them no loyalty, for you shall receive none! :)

Not smug, just sensible. Maybe I'll have to go down the spreadsheet route - once I've worked out how to do it.

Never shall the evil thieving b*ggers have my cash at the square root of eff-all% again.

Maybe I'll have to go down the spreadsheet route - once I've worked out how to do it.

I recommend it. I have a spreadsheet that I've been using for years now which i have gradually added more and more to.

• I have a sheet for my savings and mortgage where each row is a month. It goes off into the future so I can see how my savings will grow and my mortgage will shrink
  • I have a sheet where I have all my big annual / bi-annual outgoings on and a simple sum to work out how much i need to put by each month to cover everything
  • I have a sheet which i keep as a template for my monthly outgoings and income. then, each month i make a copy of it and use the copy for that months budgeting
  • After all of the monthly copy sheets, going back for years, i have a sheet where i list all of the bank accounts and passwords, etc. Just in case I pop my cloggs and my wife needs to get everything sorted. Also useful for highlighting the accounts where the temporary rates are about to stop...

Oh, and I back it up...

Good luck.

i have a sheet where i list all of the bank accounts and passwords, etc. Just in case I pop my cloggs and my wife needs to get everything sorted.

That's a disaster waiting to happen.

I hope it isn't something like Bank name, username, password, answers to security questions, so if someone gets hold of the spreadsheet they have the lot.

I wouldn't keep passwords on your PC.

That's a disaster waiting to happen.

I hope it isn't something like Bank name, username, password, answers to security questions, so if someone gets hold of the spreadsheet they have the lot.

I wouldn't keep passwords on your PC.

The problem I have with passwords is that I often can't have what I want.

More often than not, these days, I enter a password and I'm told I must have a mixture of letters and numbers, with at least one capital letter or some such nonsense.

If you can't choose a password that you can remember, you have to write it down, making it less secure that the simple password that you can remember.

I entirely forgot about one bond, I was trying to close an account that I didn't need anymore and they said I couldn't because I had a £20k bond with 18 months to run linked into it. "Are you sure?" I asked :huh:

Again, not the sort of thing I would expect to do.

I entirely forgot about one bond, I was trying to close an account that I didn't need anymore and they said I couldn't because I had a £20k bond with 18 months to run linked into it. "Are you sure?" I asked :huh:

Again, not the sort of thing I would expect to do.

I'm glad it's not just me. :)

Just shows how easy it is - how many billions do they reckon are tied up in dormant accounts?

No wonder Gordon Brown had plans to raid them.

The problem I have with passwords is that I often can't have what I want.

More often than not, these days, I enter a password and I'm told I must have a mixture of letters and numbers, with at least one capital letter or some such nonsense.

If you can't choose a password that you can remember, you have to write it down, making it less secure that the simple password that you can remember.

At least if you write the password down (don't write the bank name with it) and keep it in your wallet away from your PC - someone needs to hack into/nick your PC AND nick your wallet. I definitely wouldn't keep everything together in one place, particularly on a PC.

You need to be more inventive with your numbers and letters. You could do something like create a password but add numbers in positions that relate to the length of names etc. so you can remember them more easily.

Edited by Redhat Sly

My dad has a bank of ireland passbook from the eighties he forgot about, shows a lot of money certainly enough for a house deposit but they claimed the account was closed. They couldn't say who the money was paid too and my dad never received any lump sum in his other accounts.