House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
happy_renting

If You Think Uk Landlords Are Greedy...

"Mostly it's compensation for loss of rent for flats. The biggest was 120m yen (£900,000). The claim was that the entire apartment building was worthless because one person committed suicide there. So they have to pay to rebuild it."

Jesus, don't give them any ideas!

If you think that renting in Britain is bad, then I would advise you not to rent in Japan. On moving in, a tenant will typically pay the first six months rent up front. Plus two months deposit, theoretically returnable. Plus two months rent of what is known as key money, essentially a payment to the landlord to be allowed to move in. Plus they typically have to pay for a guarantor company, although what they actually do is a mystery, it certainly isn't a form of insurance for unpaid rent. When the two year contract finally comes to an end, you have to pay another months rent plus contract fees to be allowed to sign a new contract.

All in all a tenant must pay nearly a years rent up front, before they can set foot in the place.

If you think that renting in Britain is bad, then I would advise you not to rent in Japan. On moving in, a tenant will typically pay the first six months rent up front. Plus two months deposit, theoretically returnable. Plus two months rent of what is known as key money, essentially a payment to the landlord to be allowed to move in. Plus they typically have to pay for a guarantor company, although what they actually do is a mystery, it certainly isn't a form of insurance for unpaid rent. When the two year contract finally comes to an end, you have to pay another months rent plus contract fees to be allowed to sign a new contract.

All in all a tenant must pay nearly a years rent up front, before they can set foot in the place.

I am in Tokyo at the moment and have the potential offer of a job out here.

I can tell you it is pretty expensive with the strong yen and the weak pound. I bet property rental prices are frightful.

Nice one! Although I wouldn`t recommend trying to live there for the long term, there can be few better places to spend a couple of years drifting about in than Tokyo. I was lucky enough to be over there a few years back when the pound was well over 200 yen, certainly made those 700 yen beers taste a bit better when they were only 3 pounds, rather than the 5 pounds or more they are now.

There are cheaper accommodation options available. More than likely there will be companies around to offer accommodation for the uncivilized barbarian foreigner without quite such heinous costs at start up, of course the flats might be of a lower quality. Then there is also the gaijin house but I wouldn`t recommend that. For a fairly standard flat in a reasonable area in Tokyo I guess you would be looking to start at 60000 for a 30 square metre place. Posh areas in the centre will be much more of course.

The wife and I rented a house in Kansai (with parking!) from 1992 to 2004. We paid 300,000 gift money and 300,000 key money + 160,000 re-contract money every 2 years. The rent was 80,OOO, never went up in 12 years.

I'd say it was a fare deal considering that we used the front room as a classroom and the rest of the house as an office/warehouse...we also keep 3 cats illegally, no one ever checked.

The original landlord went bankrupt c2001 so we escaped paying 2 months rent....also we got all 300,000 of our deposit back!! God knows how that happened!!

After we moved the place was demolished.(32 years old)(no not me,the house)

Interesting situation in Tokyo. I lived there for 2 years 1988-89. The flat was rented for us is available now for somewhat less in Yen than it was over 20 years ago. Its higher in £ of course, but who said domestic prices and rents always rise over time?