House Price Crash Forum
man o' the year

Interest Rates Tomorrow?

I cannot see it myself but does anyone think we will see any rise at all tomorrow?

No.

No chance of a rise just yet

A meaningless small rise in the interest rate (if one appears) coupled with little increase in the jobless figures means the chances of a HPC are even more remote.

I'm sure my strongly worded letter to Merv will have stung him into action. I recommended setting the bank rate to 5% in the first instance, and higher later if required, so I expect that's what he'll do. ;)

There's been a concerted propaganda campaign to the effect that it'll happen later in the year, and I suspect that the inflation figures now will only determine only how much, not when.

I agree with the "concerted propaganda campaign" I feel as though there is a deliberate attempt to deceive the public. In reality I don't think the interest rate are going to go up this year (maybe a 0.25 to keep the deception going) we have just had negative gdp figures if we get negative figures next quarter then we are back into recession a double dip at that. Have they ever raised interest rates in the middle of a recession? (I don't know the answer to that)

If people thought that interest rates were going to be low for the next 5 years they may put their savings into a 5 year bond. maybe the tptb want people to spend money instead.

Almost £1000 available at Betfair to back a rise rather than hold.

So if you've got the money to risk, and you're certain it ain't gonna happen, then there's £100 to had.

I think there's no chance of a raise, but I ain't risking a grand to win £100 either.

Almost £1000 available at Betfair to back a rise rather than hold.

So if you've got the money to risk, and you're certain it ain't gonna happen, then there's £100 to had.

I think there's no chance of a raise, but I ain't risking a grand to win £100 either.

You have that correct that's 10-1 on odds,it would be classed as a certain favourite, almost certain guaranteed raise, which we know it's far from that.

No. If we are lucky they might go up 0.25% by Christmas.

Yeah I reckon it'll be at the tail end of the year.

Bank rates are reckoned to be going up anyway ... bbc breakfast did a bit today about it.

They are getting into a box. The trade deficit is actually getting worse even with the huge fall in sterling. Negative GDP growth, while the rest of the world is really growing. And inflation creeping up nearing the danger zone.

The next quarter is important because another negative gdp growth and it will be officially a recession. Realisticaly with a rising trade deficit and economy in recession no one raises rates.

One possibility would be managing prices in the economy. For example freezing rents, professional fees, utility bills. Freezing prices at the grocery stores. Combination of tax relief and subsidies on essentials.

Bank rates are reckoned to be going up anyway ... bbc breakfast did a bit today about it.

Yep, the banks are making sure people are locked into increasing rates over base before base goes up..

They are getting into a box. The trade deficit is actually getting worse even with the huge fall in sterling. Negative GDP growth, while the rest of the world is really growing. And inflation creeping up nearing the danger zone.

The next quarter is important because another negative gdp growth and it will be officially a recession. Realisticaly with a rising trade deficit and economy in recession no one raises rates.

One possibility would be managing prices in the economy. For example freezing rents, professional fees, utility bills. Freezing prices at the grocery stores. Combination of tax relief and subsidies on essentials.

You could take the view that all that's screwed anyway, so you may as well raise rates to sort out the inflation problems.

What time does Merv sit on his fat **** arzz and announce how vigilant he is being?

Funny thing, I think they might go for a .25% hike this time due to the bad press Muppetry has been getting lately. But don't expect it to show up in your savings account (.25 at BoE rate translates into a much higher arte at consumer level after all the tiers do their add-ons).

Edited by Realistbear

What time does Merv sit on his fat **** arzz and announce how vigilant he is being?

Funny thing, I think they might go for a .25% hike this time due to the bad press Muppetry has been getting lately. But don't expect it to show up in your savings account (.25 at BoE rate translates into a much higher arte at consumer level after all the tiers do their add-ons).

Isn't the inflation external commodities and unlikely to be affected by rate rises anyway?

Yes because cheap liquidity for the banking system must have nothing to do with bubbles forming in commodities.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Home-repossessions-fall-Q4-reuters_molt-1790600343.html?x=0

The CML warned that the number of homeowners in difficulty could increase over the coming months if the Bank of England raises interest rates.

But as the Bloomberg farticle a couple of posts above points out, IR ARE rising no matter what Merv does.

I totally agree. so are we wrong or is there a deliberate attempt to deceive the public?

maybe the press only report productions they consider interesting rather than predictions that are accurate.

Edited by gf3

Our old pal Ray Boulger was on Breakfast news today. Being asked about interest rates etc..

Said that the UK inflation was being caused by the VAT rise and the cost of commodities - and that raising the UK interest rate would have NO impact on either of these. :blink:

Now I appreciate it is a pretty complicated thing - however it is basic common knowledge (Well it should be from financial advisors) - that raising interest rates makes your currency more attractive to invest in - that may in turn raise its price against other currencies - that means commodities bought from abroad may become cheaper.

Now I know this is not guaranteed but it is certainly a possibility. However it was the way that Boulger just stated the opposite as fact that really annoyed me. Surely he knows this stuff ?! How can you say that raising UK interest rates will have NO impact on commodity prices in the UK !? 100% wrong IMO. And he did say NO very clearly. Not little or something similar. It was a big fat NO.

Either he is lying or doesn't have a clue what he is talking about - anyone care to hazard a guess ?

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Home-repossessions-fall-Q4-reuters_molt-1790600343.html?x=0

The CML warned that the number of homeowners in difficulty could increase over the coming months if the Bank of England raises interest rates.

But as the Bloomberg farticle a couple of posts above points out, IR ARE rising no matter what Merv does.

said before, I know....... but why 0.25%?? ............... why not .05%??

....... or are things that precarious??