House Price Crash Forum

Getting Incredibly Desparate In The Usa

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Listen to the robber..... he's got bills to pay rent to pay children to feed

How much more of this are we going to see?

I don't know, but when he gets caught he will get another debt to pay, his debt to society along with a stint in free accommodation.

HOLA444
HOLA445

A hoax, surely?

Robber deliberately touching surfaces with bare hands, picking up coffee before walking away?

Also, 05/02/2011 - and we are supposed to believe this is the US?

A shop surveillance video has captured the moment an unmasked man walked into a petrol station shop in Seattle in the US, and politely told store attendant John Henry he was robbing him.

After paying $1.30 (80p) for a cup of coffee, the suspect calmly took out a gun and asked Mr Henry to empty the till.

The suspect, identified by police as Gregory P Hess, stole $300 (£186) but promised to pay the store attendant back if he ever got back on his feet again.

He then apologised for the robbery, saying he was "really sorry to have to do this but [he had] kids".

The man, who was known to authorities after previous robberies, was arrested on Monday by King County sheriff's deputies, according to the Seattle Times.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

This is not a hoax. This is from my local paper, the Seattle Times: Seattle Times

People here are very polite. If you're going to be robbed come to Seattle! This idiot was lucky not to get blown away by the shopkeeper. I live much closer to the city than where this robbery took place and have never experienced any violence. Please don't let it stop you from coming here. Great city, loads to do, great people and beautiful countryside.

HOLA449

This is not a hoax. This is from my local paper, the Seattle Times: Seattle Times

People here are very polite. If you're going to be robbed come to Seattle! This idiot was lucky not to get blown away by the shopkeeper. I live much closer to the city than where this robbery took place and have never experienced any violence. Please don't let it stop you from coming here. Great city, loads to do, great people and beautiful countryside.

The TSA, travellers tax and Visa issues (which mean people can and do get turned away on arrival even if they have valid visas). Means I'd have to pass at visiting the USA for a long long time. Even the Russians aren't so bad with visa issues these days.

Heh if you live in Seattle have you seen how big the slugs are? Maybe you can catch them and ship them to France, Fillet de Escargo :P

HOLA4410

Out of interest, how do you see the job market / living standards, quality of life, general state of society in Seattle given events such as this? Is one to think the city is on the brink of anarchy, or is this just a one off?

HOLA4411

Even the robbers are great people.

HOLA4412

Even the robbers are great people.

In the UK the robber would have stabbed the shop keeper even after he'd handed over his money. There was recently a big reclaim the streets event somewhere in the UK. Where a child was stabbed multiple times in the head EVEN AFTER surrendering his wallet (which contained £5)

HOLA4413

Out of interest, how do you see the job market / living standards, quality of life, general state of society in Seattle given events such as this? Is one to think the city is on the brink of anarchy, or is this just a one off?

:lol: This is the best place I've ever lived! This is a non-story. I could ask the same question about Britain after seeing that woman hitting the robbers with her handbag!

If I walk 100 yards up my road I can see the space-needle i.e. I'm almost in downtown. I have never seen any violence. There are no chavs hanging around either. The police are very intolerant. You will lose against them. You will lose against the judge too. I was disgusted at the violence in West Sussex when I lived there, especially at pub/club closing time. There are a lot of homeless people downtown. They sell a big-issue type paper, same as in Britain.

My standard of living is superior in every respect. Yes, it's hard but it's nowhere near anarchy. Bellevue is voted one of the best places to live in the USA.

This is a great place to live.....and health insurance costs about $250 per month if you need to buy it yourself. People in Britain have written off America. Big mistake.

HOLA4414

:lol: This is the best place I've ever lived! This is a non-story. I could ask the same question about Britain after seeing that woman hitting the robbers with her handbag!

This is a great place to live.....and health insurance costs about $250 per month if you need to buy it yourself. People in Britain have written off America. Big mistake.

My other half's family are in OK (so not like Seattle at all!), and despite things being 'tight', still no-where near the 'end of days' scenario some on here beckon. There was a piece in the Guardian last year about how awful things had gotten in OK - except the place they reported on had been known as a $hith0le since the 1980's - so like you say, another non-story.

She also has a frend who does live in Seattle - no moaning from her either.

Ho hum...

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The TSA, travellers tax and Visa issues (which mean people can and do get turned away on arrival even if they have valid visas). Means I'd have to pass at visiting the USA for a long long time. Even the Russians aren't so bad with visa issues these days.

Heh if you live in Seattle have you seen how big the slugs are? Maybe you can catch them and ship them to France, Fillet de Escargo :P

I've been handcuffed, by mistake, coming back into America from Canada! The Immigration people are like those cops off Rambo. They are NOT representative of the America people though.

Can't help you with the slugs! :lol:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

My other half's family are in OK (so not like Seattle at all!), and despite things being 'tight', still no-where near the 'end of days' scenario some on here beckon. There was a piece in the Guardian last year about how awful things had gotten in OK - except the place they reported on had been known as a $hith0le since the 1980's - so like you say, another non-story.

She also has a frend who does live in Seattle - no moaning from her either.

Ho hum...

People like to knock the USA but I cannot do it. I've only been here a short while but have made friends already. The British are generous people but so are the Americans. They are very patriotic and optimistic in spite the economy. I was intending to move to New Zealand after 5 years but doubt I'll ever leave America now. Seattle is different though. There are a lot of intelligent people here who read the international news. Everyone seems to be holding a book or studying.

HOLA4419

That is very cheap indeed - probably only for a young, fit person, without "pre-existing conditions", right?

That's for a 43 year old. I cannot remember whether there were questions about pre-existing conditions. There are plenty of places to shop around online. The policy excesses are steep but it's an insurance. If you or your spouse are employed it's not an issue anyway. If you're an emigrant your job is 99% likely to come with health coverage.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
That's for a 43 year old. I cannot remember whether there were questions about pre-existing conditions. There are plenty of places to shop around online. The policy excesses are steep but it's an insurance. If you or your spouse are employed it's not an issue anyway. If you're an emigrant your job is 99% likely to come with health coverage.

If you were unlucky enough to become unemployed, would you come back to the UK to make sure you have health care- or is the system there still able to cover people without jobs or cash?

HOLA4425

If you were unlucky enough to become unemployed, would you come back to the UK to make sure you have health care- or is the system there still able to cover people without jobs or cash?

That's a very good question. If I did then I wouldn't feel bad. I've paid tax in the UK every year from the age of 16.

I wouldn't want to return to the UK. After being treated like crap by Blair and Brown I made my plans to live in the USA or New Zealand. I've got enough cash to see me through at least 10 years of unemployment. If I did get made unemployed I'd be entitled to $600 a week anyway, based on my current salary. In the UK I'd get no unemployment insurance and have to pay more to exist. Here I could move somewhere cheaper and still enjoy the same lifestyle. There is no contest as far as I'm concerned. Canada is on my doorstep, so I could try for work there too. If the worse came to the worse I could pick up a contract in Europe I guess. I like it here and will fight to stay.