House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fellow

Icelandic Volcano Set To Erupt Dwarfing Last Year's Eruption, Warn Scientists

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/iceland/8311924/Icelandic-volcano-set-to-erupt.html

Scientists in Iceland are warning that another volcano looks set to erupt and threatening to spew-out a pall of dust that would dwarf last year's event.

Geologists detected the high risk of a new eruption after evaluating an increased swarm of earthquakes around the island's second largest volcano.

Pall Einarsson, a professor of geophysics at the University of Iceland, says the area around Bárdarbunga is showing signs of increased activity, which provides "good reason to worry".

He told the country's national TV station that a low number of seismometer measuring devices in the area is making it more difficult to determine the scale and likely outcome of the current shifts.

But he said there was "every reason to worry" as the sustained earthquake tremors to the north east of the remote volcano range are the strongest recorded in recent times and there was "no doubt" the lava was rising.

The geologist complained that the lack of coverage from measuring devices means he cannot accurately detect the depth and exact location of the increased number of localised earth movements.

"This is the most active area of the country if we look at the whole country together," he told the Icelandic TV News. "There is no doubt that lava there is slowly growing, and the seismicity of the last few days is a sign of it.

"We need better measurements because it is difficult to determine the depth of earthquakes because it is in the middle of the country and much of the area is covered with glaciers."

Respected volcano watcher Jón Frímann, said on his volcano watch blog: "After the Eyjafjallajökull volcano eruption in the year 2010 it seems that geologists in Iceland take earthquake swarms more seriously then they did before."

He explained the Icelandic Met Office had on Sunday warned of the increased risk of a eruption in north-west side of Vatnajökull glacier due to the high earthquake activity in the area, and added: "It is clear that only time is going to tell us if there is going to be a eruption in this area soon or not."

The last recorded eruption of Bárdarbunga was in 1910, although volcanologists believe its last major eruption occurred in 1477 when it produced a large ash and pumice fallout. It also produced the largest known lava flow during the past 10,000 years on earth.

It is the second largest volcano on Iceland and is directly above the mantle plume of molten rock.

By comparison, Bárdarbunga dwarves the Eyjafjallajökull volcano, which shutdown most of Europe's airspace last year after its ash cloud drifted across the continent's skies.

The Vatnajökull glacier is quite thick - a volcano could erupt beneath it for a short while without actually breaking through the ice; it would produce a lot of flooding due to the melt water.

That might have been the Black Swan event that derails the UK's runaway growth, resilient house prices, rising jobs and improving balance of trade. :D

Round one of the global collapse started there, let's hope we get the double :ph34r:

Hmm....

:rolleyes:

Symbolic of the coming ARMAGEDDON that is about to overwhelm us..... as banks & then governments/countries go bust - The edifice collpases - the whole pile of cr@p finally collapses into a heap....

I fear for the future..... I really do.

The "Financial Crisis" of 2008 was just the start. They stuck their finger in the dyke. It ain't gonna hold.......

:ph34r:

I think I'm correct in saying that the volcano Bárdarbunga usually erupts one to two years after Eyjafjallajökull has erupted.

You have probably heard of Laki, that did for 2 million in Europe and killed 25% of more of Iceland's population? Well this is the same system as the perpetrator of that lot. (More sensationalism)

The system erupted over an 8 month period during 1783-1784 from the Laki fissure and the adjoining Grímsvötn volcano, pouring out an estimated 14 km3 (3.4 cu mi) of basalt lava and clouds of poisonous hydrofluoric acid/sulfur-dioxide compounds that killed over 50% of Iceland's livestock population, leading to famine which killed approximately 25% of the population[4]. The Laki eruption and its aftermath has been estimated to have killed over six million people[5] globally, making it the deadliest volcanic eruption in historical times. The drop in temperatures, due to the sulfuric dioxide gases spewed into the northern hemisphere, caused crop failures in Europe, droughts in India, and Japan's worst famine.An estimated 120 million tons of sulfur dioxide was emitted, about three times the total annual European industrial output in 2006, and equivalent to a 1991 Mount Pinatubo eruption every three days.

Hmm....

:rolleyes:

Symbolic of the coming ARMAGEDDON that is about to overwhelm us..... as banks & then governments/countries go bust - The edifice collpases - the whole pile of cr@p finally collapses into a heap....

I fear for the future..... I really do.

The "Financial Crisis" of 2008 was just the start. They stuck their finger in the dyke. It ain't gonna hold.......

:ph34r:

Unfortunately wars tend to follow economic collapse. So despite being hopeful that I'll make out like a bandit from this disaster, I'm not hopeful I'll be living in a world that I'll be able to truly enjoy it in.

Can't they contain it like they have the global debt problem?

On a seperate note:

Icelands Housing Market Improves Strongly

In Iceland, house prices were down by 13.98% during the year to end-Q1 2010, an improvement from the drop of 20.47% during the same period last year.

So a 34% drop in under two years is good news then...? Mmmmmmm

[Expect another 34% drop when the big mountain burps]

Unfortunately wars tend to follow economic collapse. So despite being hopeful that I'll make out like a bandit from this disaster, I'm not hopeful I'll be living in a world that I'll be able to truly enjoy it in.

Yes, the shiny stuff may stick in the throat.

At least I can pronounce this one (I think): Bárdarbunga - bit easier than Eyjafjallajökull

Can't they contain it like they have the global debt problem?

Yes, technically possible, but like last time it would need Gordon Brown to save the world, and he isn't allowed to visit Iceland - see here a lovely image from shop window in Iceland.

Brown is the color of poo

I know I've posted the link before, but the picture is soo cool! I so regret not buying one of those tee-shirts!

Optobear

Well we were warned that a larger eruption was a possibility within a year of the smaller eruption so i'm not sure this could be regarded as a black swan event.

It's almost expected.

Another eruption isn't necessarily a big deal, what direction will the wind be blowing?

I hope it doesn't happen though, it provides another excuse for why things are bad. First the snow, then this. The market bulls will lap it up and Mervyn will use it as yet another reason why inflation will be magically back under control by doing nothing. Yeah right.

Another eruption isn't necessarily a big deal, what direction will the wind be blowing?

I hope it doesn't happen though, it provides another excuse for why things are bad. First the snow, then this. The market bulls will lap it up and Mervyn will use it as yet another reason why inflation will be magically back under control by doing nothing. Yeah right.

it is when you have an "elite" who are seeking to use every single crisis,manufactured or otherwise, as an excuse to grab more power.

A volcano I can't spell, might go off?

Yes, the shiny stuff may stick in the throat.

At least I can pronounce this one (I think): Bárdarbunga - bit easier than Eyjafjallajökull

Excellent! :D