House Price Crash Forum
singlemalt

100% Hpc Imminent

The owners of a luxury clifftop mansion are living on the edge - after seeing part of their garden crash into the sea.

The unnamed couple paid £1.75 million for the picturesque property in Dawlish, south Devon, 18 months ago.

The end of the four bedroom property's stone terrace which enjoys stunning paranormaic views over Dawlish towards Exmouth, is now only a metre away from the edge of the 200 foot high cliffs.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1355185/Luxury-mansion-1-METRE-cliff-edge-Dawlish-south-Devon-landslides.html#ixzz1DU228c2L

article-0-0D1A2A7D000005DC-790_634x422.jpg

Full Article

She should sue her surveyor for not noticing there was a cliff there. :lol:

Just because the house is no longer there, doesnt mean the Land Registry's records will be updated.

That must leave the door open for some sort of fraud to save the day.

seems to have been some frantic tree planting at some point. Now either they hated the view or somebody was trying to stabilise the soil. Can't think which tho ....

The owners of a luxury clifftop mansion are living on the edge - after seeing part of their garden crash into the sea.

That is not a luxury clifftop mansion.....that is scary. :o

Two words immediately spring to mind. Buildings insurance.

I think I would be frantically digging out my policy if I was them.

I'd be surprised if they have any. Who in their right mind would offer to sell you an insurance policy for a house right on the edge of a cliff on a stretch of the coast that is notorious for cliff erosion?

Two words immediately spring to mind. Buildings insurance.

I think I would be frantically digging out my policy if I was them.

Tragic.

Sad.

Hubris.

A good symbol of the Nieu Labia Years...... UTTER madness.

MASSIVE FRAUD. LIAR LOANS HANDED OUT LIKE CONFETTI BY BENT MONEYLENDERS TO FRAUDULENTLY FUEL PRICES. TOTALLY ARTIFICIAL.

The GREATEST FRAUD OF ALL TIME. THE GREATEST PONZI/PYRAMID SCAM IN ALL HISTORY.

AS PER THAT HOUSE IN THAT PICTURE

-- BUILT ON SAND

Edited by eric pebble

That coastal stretch of railway is scenic, but a maintenance nightmare (and slow).

Combine high tide with a bit of rough weather and the waves come right up over the top of the train!

From the report in the Mail.

Planners approved the development in 2005 with a number of conditions including a full geotechnical report to ensure the future stability of the cliff which would not be affected by the property's construction.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1355185/Luxury-mansion-1-METRE-cliff-edge-Dawlish-south-Devon-landslides.html#ixzz1DULEeXov

Surely they got the reason for that report the wrong way around. They should have asked would the future stability of the property be affected by the cliff.

I'd be surprised if they have any. Who in their right mind would offer to sell you an insurance policy for a house right on the edge of a cliff on a stretch of the coast that is notorious for cliff erosion?

A British bank?

Horsecove House, Old Teignmouth Road,

Dawlish,

Devon,

EX7 0NJ

Sold for £1,785,000 2nd October 2009.

Agent's brochure (PDF)

It is a beautiful house and a stunning location... but I am truly staggered that someone who can make that much money to afford such a place actually bought a house on top of those kind of rock cliffs...

Build a brick wall at the base of the cliff to stop erosion.

- Tony, Dartford, 9/2/2011 16:51

Click to rate Rating 24

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1355185/Luxury-mansion-1-METRE-cliff-edge-Dawlish-south-Devon-landslides.html#ixzz1DUUN2sVr

Sounds easy enough. Why did he get 24 thumbs down? If you look to the right side of the main photograph, a wall protects the railway track from coastal erosion. If all the neighbours club together, and it is in their interest to do so, that sea wall can be extended.

Guest The Relaxation Suite

The owner "does not want to be named". Cracks me up when people go to a national newspaper with this attitude. I bet it would take less than 15 minutes to find who owns this house, if one could be bothered.

Surely if we all chip in we can raise £5000 to buy it.

Sell off all the materials to get our investment back and sit back and wait for the sale to hit the price indices.

I'm sure this is force majeure, so won't be covered. It not like a bit of subsidence, its probably closer to an earthquake.

It is a beautiful house and a stunning location... but I am truly staggered that someone who can make that much money to afford such a place actually bought a house on top of those kind of rock red earth cliffs...

Obviously their school assemblies didn't cover the biblical passages about not building on unsuitable ground or they weren't listening...;)

What were they thinking when they bought??? You don't even need to bother doing any soil mechanics maths to know you are going to get screwed, the only properly solid part of the cliff is the tunnel wall!

Have sent the link to the original article to a friend on the NR civils team who is responsible for that line, the response should be entertaining :lol: