House Price Crash Forum

Newsnight Scotland Bear Food

I've just watched last night's Newsnight Scotland and couldn't believe how fabulous it was. Music to my ears. Jonathan Davis did get a bit fire and broomstone towards the end but still made valid points. Just magnificent. Fair play to the presenter as well, spoke calmly and objectively.

Nice work BBC!

+1

Gordon Brewer is the man. Very rarely you see a TV presenter standing up to the VIs.

Watch newsnight now. Discussing the online revolution. Protests spawned in cyberspace

(...) Watch and learn Paxman.

Exactly! Paxman is shallow. he just goes for the sensationalist, demagogic, trying to create some tabloid repercussion. He doesn't even try to understand the real issues, and look for real solutions. he just goes for the superficial, populist [email protected]

JD is so much better on the telly now. Comes over very calm and collected now, indeed I' d say he's had some coaching. Just started to loose it at the end, but can you blame him!?

...JD KB was brilliant ...and the Scots presenter was a killer also....agree..Paxman move over...the VI from RICS didn't stand a chance.... :rolleyes:

A little trick I use on a daily basis...... when people are "optimistic" about the market - I agree, I am very optimistic. I will not tolerate being called a pessimist. - Leaves you free to choose you moment when the other person realises that you expect prices to go down and then questions your optimism - "surely you mean you are pessimistic?" they usually say - smugly grinning that they think that they have caught you out...

I usually reply

"Hoping prices remain high thus further stifling an already near-dead market?? that's optimistic?"

A little trick I use on a daily basis...... when people are "optimistic" about the market - I agree, I am very optimistic. I will not tolerate being called a pessimist. - Leaves you free to choose you moment when the other person realises that you expect prices to go down and then questions your optimism - "surely you mean you are pessimistic?" they usually say - smugly grinning that they think that they have caught you out...

I usually reply

"Hoping prices remain high thus further stifling an already near-dead market?? that's optimistic?"

:D

Good man.

(P.S. I enjoyed your deep sea lurker fishing not long back. I imagine the events of the next few months will bring a few more to the surface. )

I usually reply

Weird i'n'it!!?? :rolleyes:

...agreed ...and why does the BBC Scotland 'get it' while the rest are in denial....?.... :rolleyes:

:lol:

If you lived up here in Jockland you would appreciate the humour in that statement. BBC Scotland is so biased when it comes to house prices it makes Homes Under the Hammer and Krusty look reasonable. And no I am not kidding. I am sure all else who visit the Scottish sub forum can confirm this.

This was a very surprising episode. Very welcome but about as far from the usual BBC Scotland housing reporting as it is possible to get.

Imagine switching over to LLL and it opens with Krusty saying 'We need a house price crash - the prices in the UK are ******ing insane !!!'.

That is somewhat comparable. And again - no I am not kidding.

Still maybe they have a new editor in place or something. Here is hoping.

This was a very surprising episode. Very welcome but about as far from the usual BBC Scotland housing reporting as it is possible to get.

NB That was thr 3rd time that bear was on Newsnight Scotland for the subject of house prices (as well ass othewr occasions for other economic issues)

Surprisingly good. Gordon Brewer's got previous on hounding RICS/EAs iirc. He must have a colleague or family friend who's got his ear about the total mess of the market, or (more probably) he's actually a BBC journo with his integrity intact and a background in economics.

JD still a bit rough round the edges but much improved, his passion for the subject (and for the general greater good) adds to the argument and doesn't detract too much. Glad he's stuck to his guns, even though I'm considering buying and not in a bad financial position it's really nice to hear an actual debate on the national broadcaster.

RICS guy was a total muppet right enough. "We're not EAs" - fair point, but RICS and EAs are all rats in the same sack. Easy mistake for GB to make. He did warm to JD didn't he.

5 years too late? More like 8 years - this is fking dragging on...

Edited by stillill

If you lived up here in Jockland you would appreciate the humour in that statement. BBC Scotland is so biased when it comes to house prices it makes Homes Under the Hammer and Krusty look reasonable. And no I am not kidding. I am sure all else who visit the Scottish sub forum can confirm this.

Imagine switching over to LLL and it opens with Krusty saying 'We need a house price crash - the prices in the UK are ******ing insane !!!'.

That is somewhat comparable. And again - no I am not kidding.

Still maybe they have a new editor in place or something. Here is hoping.

Isn't Gordon Brown living up there? I wonder if he was watching it. :D

NB That was thr 3rd time that bear was on Newsnight Scotland for the subject of house prices (as well ass othewr occasions for other economic issues)

Aye remember a few times previously. Always on Newsnight though ? When an appearance on Reporting Scotland is in place I know the worm will really have turned.

Isn't Gordon Brown living up there? I wonder if he was watching it. :D

He would have been choking into his porridge at the sight of this show.

Aye remember a few times previously. Always on Newsnight though ? When an appearance on Reporting Scotland is in place I know the worm will really have turned.

And call Kaye Adams on Radio Scotland