House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

£9K Tuition Triggers Savings Boom -- No Worries Then

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Parents-boost-savings-pay-tele-359993435.html;_ylt=Ajum_nVvx6Wq9kpyGGpyr5XSr7FG;_ylu=X3oDMTE5bmptN2xxBHBvcwMxMQRzZWMDeWZpVG9wU3RvcmllcwRzbGsDcGFyZW50c2Jvb3N0?x=0

Parents boost savings to pay for tuition fee rises
Myra Butterworth, 8:36, Wednesday 9 February 2011
Britain is seeing a savings boom as parents begin putting money aside to pay for tuition fees, according to new research.
A quarter of parents have either started a university fund or increased the amount they put away following the Government’s proposed tuition fee rises, the latest savings survey from ING Direct suggested.
It led to a 3.6 per cent boost in accessible savings in the last three months of last year.

No problem here then--tuition goes up and savings simply rise to keep pace. Sounds like the same kind of magic Gordon introduced withe the perpetual source of cash in the form of MEW.

No problem here then--tuition goes up and savings simply rise to keep pace. Sounds like the same kind of magic Gordon introduced withe the perpetual source of cash in the form of MEW.

It's what we are doing.

If, of course, you are a chancellor wishing to see economic growth any time soon, then putting in place a system where middle income parents have to save someting like £100 per month per child is not a good idea.

It's what we are doing.

If, of course, you are a chancellor wishing to see economic growth any time soon, then putting in place a system where middle income parents have to save someting like £100 per month per child is not a good idea.

That's what I was doing with child benefit payments for my 3 year old. Shame they could stop soon.

We're going to need a lot of real growth to make up for the drop in consumer spending. I'm sure our illustrious leaders have a plan.

That's what I was doing with child benefit payments for my 3 year old. Shame they could stop soon.

We're going to need a lot of real growth to make up for the drop in consumer spending. I'm sure our illustrious leaders have a plan.

Yes it's called inflation. Apparently you can have good inflation which creates growth which we are aiming for then there is nasty bad inflation like wages going up.

So to recap food, energy inflation good. Wage inflation bad.

Clearly no flaw with this logic especially when you are aiming for growth to fill the gap left by consumer spending...

From an economic point of view, isn't it better to have money in savings accounts rather than bricks and mortar? In theory, the quality of teaching at UK universities should go up with the extra funds and improve the quality of graduates, so again, there should be a return on the fees, ie that they are an investment.

IMO though, the universities are going to find themselves short of students and competing through prices to get bums on seats. This will result in less graduates, or at least a higer percentage of graduates with skills that are directly relevant to the work place.

New reserch, sounds like they made it up nand are fishing for punters to buy their savings products the day after universities started announcing they were (unexpectedly) going to charge full whack tuition fees.

There was something on BBC breakfast the other day about 16 year-olds all keen to find apprenticeships. The group they interviewed had all dropped any plans of going to uni following the fee increase. Sign of things to come?

Edited by rantnrave

Between tax credits, Child Benefit, tuition fees and the various other bits and pieces, I would have been better off had they just put the basic rate of tax up to 30p.in the pound.

Although I don't mind losing the tax credits, terrible system..

From an economic point of view, isn't it better to have money in savings accounts rather than bricks and mortar? In theory, the quality of teaching at UK universities should go up with the extra funds and improve the quality of graduates, so again, there should be a return on the fees, ie that they are an investment.

IMO though, the universities are going to find themselves short of students and competing through prices to get bums on seats. This will result in less graduates, or at least a higer percentage of graduates with skills that are directly relevant to the work place.

I think what you will find is that VC salaries will go up.

What happens with teaching quality is any ones guess.

27k to put your sprog through 'education' for them to flip burgers.

face it, uk plc is toilet, the west to east transition is in full swing.

look at the youth unemployment figures now and think what they'll be when darsheeka reaches employment age.

27k to put your sprog through 'education' for them to flip burgers.

face it, uk plc is toilet, the west to east transition is in full swing.

look at the youth unemployment figures now and think what they'll be when darsheeka reaches employment age.

No. At least £50K when you allow for accomodation, food, books, clothes, transport, leisure spending and all the rest.

Even allowing for the sprog doing a part-time job in term time, and working full-time in the holidays, no way they will get through uni with less than 35-40K debts.

Can't be done any cheaper.

There was something on BBC breakfast the other day about 16 year-olds all keen to find apprenticeships. The group they interviewed had all dropped any plans of going to uni following the fee increase. Sign of things to come?

Look back at Universitybubble threads.

At the moment there is an abnormal bulge of students (over and above the last decade worth of entrants), thousands have either simply taken the uni route becuase they knew that it would get more expensive if delayed a year or two and took the opportunity or they have left the year out before option and gone straight to uni and will take a year out after. What happens when this bulge gets to the end of the three years and meets the enlarged apprenticeship hunting group that have decided not to go at all - suspect another large spike in young unemployment levels.

Demand for student accommodation should be well down once the tuition fees kick in.