House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

Toyah Willcox: Time To Tackle Ageism And Sexism

And this doesn't bode well for my age group, nor my gender, if we're telling future generations of employers that a woman is destined to be diet-obsessed in her 20s; over the hill by her 30s; divorced and depressed in her 40s; and just completely invisible from her 50s onwards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12381898

Blame the media!

And this doesn't bode well for my age group, nor my gender, if we're telling future generations of employers that a woman is destined to be diet-obsessed in her 20s; over the hill by her 30s; divorced and depressed in her 40s; and just completely invisible from her 50s onwards.

Blame the media!

Didn't hear her complaining back in the 70's and 80's when she was in the papers.

Blame the media!

I think she's half right. The only thing she has missed is that men are also ground-up by advertising. It is the function of advertising to make up believe we are not enough without product X. TV is full of brainwashing trying to make us good little consumers from the cradle up. It's compounded by the fact that mst people swallow all this whole and think you're not a proper man if you don't drive an expensive car and not a proper woman unless you're skinny with big boobs.

Toyah Willcox takes on the advertising industry and the pillars of capitalism. Yeh, good luck with that...

Yep... but I like this quote from the article:

"Poverty is frightening and anyone who profits from other people's hardship, like landlords, deserves to rot in hell as far as I am concerned."

I'm not quite sure how she squares that circle.*

* Not sure if that isn't a masonic expression... will no doubt excite some people on these fora

I'm not quite sure how she squares that circle.

Probably sees herself as fulfilling a "social need". Either that or she's deliberately running at a loss as a sop to her conscience. Much like the well-meaning (but utterly useless) "humanitarian" businessmen in Atlas Shrugged.

“I am perfectly innocent, since I lost my money, since I lost all of my own money for a good cause. My motives were pure. I wanted nothing for myself. I’ve never sought anything for myself. Miss Taggart, I can proudly say that in all of my life I have never made a profit!”

Eugene Lawson, Atlas Shrugged

Back in yer box wilcox!

God, I hope this isnt the beginning of her reinventing herself. If it is why cant she just go on 'i'm a celeb'like all the other has beens instead of a crusade?

Probably sees herself as fulfilling a "social need". Either that or she's deliberately running at a loss as a sop to her conscience. Much like the well-meaning (but utterly useless) "humanitarian" businessmen in Atlas Shrugged.

Something in the tradition of Mrs Jellyby?

Yep... but I like this quote from the article:

"Poverty is frightening and anyone who profits from other people's hardship, like landlords, deserves to rot in hell as far as I am concerned."

I'm not quite sure how she squares that circle.*

* Not sure if that isn't a masonic expression... will no doubt excite some people on these fora

How old is your Granny?