House Price Crash Forum
Lepista

Army Allowance - £5,500 Per Child Per Term? Wtf?

Just heard on R4 - a member of the armed forces can claim £5,500 per child per term for boarding costs???

So, if they have three kids, that's £5,500*3*3 = £48,500 PER YEAR, tax-free.

I would have to be earning close to £90,000 per year if I wanted to send my kids off to a similar standard (if I had 3 keds)

This was just one allowance that the army personnel were "worried" would be cut in the budget freeze. What other "allowances" do they get that I don't?

Housing allowance? Food allowance? clothing allowance? car allowance?

What about other "professions"? What "allowances" can they get, that us civvies are not privy to? Nurses? doctors? Police? Is there any definitive list anywhere that shows all of these allowances?

No wonder the housing market is so skewed, and we are spending well beyond our means.

Did I say I was expecting 50-60% house price falls? better make that 80-90%. We are truly screwed.

Married soldiers are well looked after in the Army, believe me, where as single soldiers are effectively left on the shit heap. It was one of the driving factors for me leaving the Army.

Yes, and I'm still bitter after all this time. There you have it.

There is a pretty reasonable purpose to this allowance. The army generally moves its soldiers and officers on 2-3yr postings. The idea of boarding school allowance is that it provides continuity to a child's education.

The alternative is a child cycling through 6 different schools, often at difficult times like during exams or mid-year. That leaves aside the difficulty of foreign postings and schooling.

The other alternative is the enlisted parent simply leaves their family for the entire duration of postings, with the cost of double homes to maintain and little contact.

Both of course are a recipe for mass departures from the army for anyone wanting a relatively stable family life.

Viewing this as a perk neglects to remember that it is offsetting an associated penalty. It's a cost of doing business.

Of course I'm happy to recognise that the way the stable education is provided and the price paid can be debated. I know that the army uses many methods- in its large overseas bases it provides special schools, in some cases it pays for local schooling. Certainly it's a minority that use the boarding allowance in the uk, so I don't think it's a blanket provision for any army person anyway, only those ordered to move (and remember it's not like you get a choice when it's an order!)

Just heard on R4 - a member of the armed forces can claim £5,500 per child per term for boarding costs???

I would have to be earning close to £90,000 per year if I wanted to send my kids off to a similar standard (if I had 3 keds)

This was just one allowance that the army personnel were "worried" would be cut in the budget freeze. What other "allowances" do they get that I don't?

What about other "professions"? What "allowances" can they get, that us civvies are not privy to? Nurses? doctors? Police? Is there any definitive list anywhere that shows all of these allowances?

No wonder the housing market is so skewed, and we are spending well beyond our means.

Did I say I was expecting 50-60% house price falls? better make that 80-90%. We are truly screwed.

You ever had people trying to kill you? Money is hardly compenstaion enough.

AFAIK it is for soldiers serving abroad mostly, not many schools in germany where you can send british kids, especially as they get older. With potentially a posting every 2-3 years then the boarding allowance gives soldiers kids the only possible hope of any stability in their lives or a reasonable education.

You ever had people trying to kill you? Money is hardly compenstaion enough.

Anyone joining the armed forces knows that there is always the potential that you will be asked by your government to go in to situations were you may have to kill or be killed. You accept that risk when you sign on the dotted line. Agreeing to put yourself in that situation means the "...people trying to kill you" argument is irrelevant.

Married soldiers are well looked after in the Army, believe me, where as single soldiers are effectively left on the shit heap. It was one of the driving factors for me leaving the Army.

True but then singlies dont have any other responsibilities or dependants do they?

If you didnt like it then you could have tried being a grown up and living out.

I don't see a problem with it, tbh.

There is a pretty reasonable purpose to this allowance. The army generally moves its soldiers and officers on 2-3yr postings. The idea of boarding school allowance is that it provides continuity to a child's education.

The alternative is a child cycling through 6 different schools, often at difficult times like during exams or mid-year. That leaves aside the difficulty of foreign postings and schooling.

The other alternative is the enlisted parent simply leaves their family for the entire duration of postings, with the cost of double homes to maintain and little contact.

Both of course are a recipe for mass departures from the army for anyone wanting a relatively stable family life.

Viewing this as a perk neglects to remember that it is offsetting an associated penalty. It's a cost of doing business.

Of course I'm happy to recognise that the way the stable education is provided and the price paid can be debated. I know that the army uses many methods- in its large overseas bases it provides special schools, in some cases it pays for local schooling. Certainly it's a minority that use the boarding allowance in the uk, so I don't think it's a blanket provision for any army person anyway, only those ordered to move (and remember it's not like you get a choice when it's an order!)

How about giving people a choice - there are many in normal jobs that require them to move around every 2-3 years - I don't see the same allowance being given to them.

Anyone joining the armed forces knows that there is always the potential that you will be asked by your government to go in to situations were you may have to kill or be killed. You accept that risk when you sign on the dotted line. Agreeing to put yourself in that situation means the "...people trying to kill you" argument is irrelevant.

yes you do but your (possibly future) wife and kids didnt sign anything

I know that the army uses many methods- in its large overseas bases it provides special schools, in some cases it pays for local schooling. Certainly it's a minority that use the boarding allowance in the uk, so I don't think it's a blanket provision for any army person anyway, only those ordered to move (and remember it's not like you get a choice when it's an order!)

Maybe the question that should be asked is why does it have so many large overseas bases?

Maybe the question that should be asked is why does it have so many large overseas bases?

because troops were stationed in germany post WW2 and during the cold war, since that threat has passed they are still there because no money has been spent so there is nowhere to bring them back here to.

Should have got yourself a wifey and played the game. (Sorry probably being facetious there, apologies)

Do single people get treated worse than married people in the benefits system too?

Edited by SarahBell

Free housing and free food too probably. But i think the free housing is probably only for married soldiers and the single ones are left to share a dormitory :lol:

Honestly being in the army in the UK (even better in Australia) is very overpaid compared to the private sector considering the level of qualifications needed for the job. It's even better in Australia as the single guys are well looked after too.

Do single people get treated worse than married people in the benefits system too?

nope they get exactly the same. They also get all they can eat at 3 meal times a day for about £2.32 a day so it isnt all bad.

Honestly being in the army in the UK (even better in Australia) is very overpaid compared to the private sector considering the level of qualifications needed for the job. It's even better in Australia as the single guys are well looked after too.

I suspect it's not overpaid when you consider they do go over to war and get shot at.

Compare to the police officers etc in this country who might never get to see a gun on the streets (not in the hands of another officer)...

When they said that policing a student protest cost £850k - that's 50 full time squaddies for a year.

I suspect it's not overpaid when you consider they do go over to war and get shot at.

Compare to the police officers etc in this country who might never get to see a gun on the streets (not in the hands of another officer)...

When they said that policing a student protest cost £850k - that's 50 full time squaddies for a year.

PAID is the key word here.

I wouldn't mind being paid very little if my housing was paid for, food was paid for, travel was paid for, and food was paid for by my employer.

Free housing and free food too probably. But i think the free housing is probably only for married soldiers and the single ones are left to share a dormitory :lol:

You pay rent for your quarter just as you pay all bills and council tax. You even get to pay CILOCT (contribution in lieu of council tax) when in Germany or anywhere else. You also get to pay all of you taxes when on operational duty whereas other forces are usually paid tax free.

I wouldn't mind being paid very little if my housing was paid for, food was paid for, travel was paid for, and food was paid for by my employer.

it isnt paid for though, it comes out of your wages.

when you get a % pay rise it is usually staggered :rolleyes: half in april and half in december. The food and accomodation bills also go up by exactly the same ammount at the same time :lol:

Should have got yourself a wifey and played the game. (Sorry probably being facetious there, apologies)

No it's the reverse. There are probably half a million HB recipients pretending to be single so the bloke doesn't get the bill. I know a BTL LL who for years had a couple with young family in his house - paid the rent regular as clockwork. Suddenly they split up. The GF applies for HB and the rent continues to get paid regular as clockwork, but now it's the taxpayer forking out. I can't be sure the split was fake but when it's so easy to get someone else to pay your bills why wouldn't you?

Housing, food and travel aren't paid for though are they, they come out of their wages.

Would you mind being paid very little in those circumstances, or do you think they know what they signed up for.

Housing, food and travel aren't paid for though are they, they come out of their wages.

Would you mind being paid very little in those circumstances, or do you think they know what they signed up for.

tbh that "they knew what they signed up for" is a complete croc. Most blokes are 18-20 and have no idea what they are getting into.

Firstly, it only tends to get fully awarded if both parents are posted abroad to a place that is unsuitable for kids. In which case, there are a number of booarding schools in the UK and Europe which cater specifically for forces kids. Even so, their termly rates are usually more than the 5k per term and so ther parents have to fork out the extra out of their own incomce which ,as a previous poster has pointed out, is pathetically small by any standard, never mind the dangerous nature of their work

We can, of course, get into an argument about whether our forces should even be fighting in the places they are. But, the facts on the ground are what they are and this is another argument.

Edited by tallguy