House Price Crash Forum

What To Retrain In?

HOLA441

I'm currently working as a CAD Technician but have become pretty fed up with the job in recent months and am interested in training in something else, but not sure what to do! I'd be looking to train in the evenings.

I'm thinking about a trade, quite possibly carpentry, but at the moment I'm just trying to figure out my options.

Does anyone have any ideas about good areas to train in at the moment? Any sectors where there are opportunity's for a determined and hard-working youngster(!) willing to put the hours in to re-train in something new? Is carpentry a bad idea?

I think I've had enough of sitting in front of a computer 7-8 hours a day, so any ideas not IT based would be appreciated.

HOLA442
HOLA443

There's a shortage of woodland workers for harvesting wood products from derelict woodland and coppices, then processing that wood into charcoal, furniture, garden equipment, etc.

You'd work long hours. Be alone most of the time. Work in all conditions (harvesting is in the winter) and earn max 14k. If you want any more advice, drop me a line. It sounds tempting to me as I work long hours in front of screen too.

HOLA444

There's a shortage of woodland workers for harvesting wood products from derelict woodland and coppices, then processing that wood into charcoal, furniture, garden equipment, etc.

You'd work long hours. Be alone most of the time. Work in all conditions (harvesting is in the winter) and earn max 14k. If you want any more advice, drop me a line. It sounds tempting to me as I work long hours in front of screen too.

Friend's son is trained in forestry and can't get any work. Is working in a factory. Bet he'd prefer this. He's in the North West. Any advice on where he should look?

HOLA445
HOLA446

Cad - good with numbers and design packages. Carpentry - presumably fairly good with hands. Head for heights?

Roofers are well paid, unlike a lot of trades now that are struggling. One of those essential jobs that will always come around. Not much evidence of a lot of foreign competition either.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Cad - good with numbers and design packages. Carpentry - presumably fairly good with hands. Head for heights?

Roofers are well paid, unlike a lot of trades now that are struggling. One of those essential jobs that will always come around. Not much evidence of a lot of foreign competition either.

I know a few roofers and not had worked for a few years now.

HOLA449

Whichever occupation you train in, ensure that it is transferable to another country (I.e. gets you points). The oil industry is very lucrative, a friend got his NEBOSH certificate and now works on a rig in Iran advising on Health and Safety, it is transferable to many other industries too. It's laughable how he earns big money by just telling people not to run with a spanner or remind people to wear a hard hat.

HOLA4410

Whichever occupation you train in, ensure that it is transferable to another country (I.e. gets you points). The oil industry is very lucrative, a friend got his NEBOSH certificate and now works on a rig in Iran advising on Health and Safety, it is transferable to many other industries too. It's laughable how he earns big money by just telling people not to run with a spanner or remind people to wear a hard hat.

He could stay at home and become a traffic safety officer. I met one a couple of years ago who claimed he was paid £50k self-employed by the highway agency. Doubt that lasted.

HOLA4411

He could stay at home and become a traffic safety officer. I met one a couple of years ago who claimed he was paid £50k self-employed by the highway agency. Doubt that lasted.

They still do, on the side I do some work for some ex-cops they work as accident investigators and or insurance investigators at crash sites. They pull in about £500-£1500 per incident. Thing is you need to know people in the force to get such jobs.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Doh. Worse than I thought then.

Apparently it is down to this house price crash thingamejigg ?

Always need roofers of course. However I think a huge number were trained/employed due all the the manic building going on. Now that is done and dusted for the time being - a lot just cannot get ****** all.

HOLA4414

Doh. Worse than I thought then.

All the trades are sh1te and I can't see things improving much. Mr Ben looks like ken's giving his blessing for the NEBOSH route then ?? it's an evening course split in two sections that costs about £1k to do. I'm considering this course as well - I have alot of free time and need something other than a naff degree, pitted CV and my predicted 3 years of unemployment to get ip and running again in 2014.

HOLA4415

Oil is really hard to get into though, no? Everybody I know in oil is on insane money. I considered ROV pilot for a while (or electrician on a rig) but a big jump/risk from current job.

HOLA4416

Oil is really hard to get into though, no? Everybody I know in oil is on insane money. I considered ROV pilot for a while (or electrician on a rig) but a big jump/risk from current job.

It's a closed door industry, my mates father was already working on a rig at the time so that helped. He got another friend of mine a job on recommendation as a rig mechanic but got severely p155ed off as he only lasted a week before crying he wanted out. It's lonely apparently and the month long rotations are long days with no rest days. He's earning $30,000 dollars a month and gets paid for the month off + flights in and out of pataya.

re. the NEBOSH it's not industry specific.

HOLA4417

get into oil field work. http://www.oilfieldworkers.com/

but only if you're happy going to mexico, texas, venezuela, brazil, ghana, angola, saudi, iraq, iran, azerbaidja, kazakhstan etc... at a week's notice :D

you will see the world.

make an incredible amount of money in a short time

come back to the UK and buy the biggest property imaginable

make lots of friends from around the world in the fields and rigs.

Oil companies treat their staff VERY well, much better than any other sector.

HOLA4418

but only if you're happy going to mexico, texas, venezuela, brazil, ghana, angola, saudi, iraq, iran, azerbaidja, kazakhstan etc... at a week's notice :D

you'll be stuck in Aberdeen or heavens forbid Peterheid, cold as well as dangerous and shite.

you will see the world.

Er Aberdeen or some other violent shite port/airport.

Piss most of that away on drink and tarts and waste the rest.

The wife will have that off you when she quite justifiably leaves you.

make lots of friends from around the world in the fields and rigs.

w@nkers. the lot of them to a man. Do not let them near you under any cicumstances.

Oil companies treat their staff VERY well, much better than any other sector.

Youve been reading too many brochures son. If youre lucky they might ship your malaria riddled, kidnapped recovered industrial accidented corpse home in the cold store of some Nassau registered rustbucket back to blighty just to stop it stinking up their rig.

If you can get your foot in the door though i'd give it a go like.

HOLA4419

I'm currently working as a CAD Technician but have become pretty fed up with the job in recent months and am interested in training in something else, but not sure what to do! I'd be looking to train in the evenings.

I'm thinking about a trade, quite possibly carpentry, but at the moment I'm just trying to figure out my options.

Does anyone have any ideas about good areas to train in at the moment? Any sectors where there are opportunity's for a determined and hard-working youngster(!) willing to put the hours in to re-train in something new? Is carpentry a bad idea?

I think I've had enough of sitting in front of a computer 7-8 hours a day, so any ideas not IT based would be appreciated.

HOLA4420

The wife will have that off you when she quite justifiably leaves you.

Why is it justifiable? If both partners discussed and agreed the husband taking the job knowing he'd be away from home, and the wife is enjoying the financial benefits, why is it OK if she leaves?

HOLA4421

Why is it justifiable? If both partners discussed and agreed the husband taking the job knowing he'd be away from home, and the wife is enjoying the financial benefits, why is it OK if she leaves?

Service Personnel have the same issues without the financial rewards. 'Dear John' letters are all the rage in the middle east, usually it's something along the lines of ...

Dear John,

While you have been away serving queen and country I have been distraught and sought comfort in your best friend Joe down the social. We are an item now I hope you understand.

Love always,

fluffy x

HOLA4422

I'm former building trade, seriously, don't bother!. Those that I know who are still in the game are lucky to be earning 2/3 of what they were a few years ago. Even then, a lot of it will be killing yourself on very tight margin 'price work' :o

most of the oil jobs I've seen only pay sub £30K, unless you're a degree educated engineer with 10+ years of experience (or equivalent).

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I'm former building trade, seriously, don't bother!. Those that I know who are still in the game are lucky to be earning 2/3 of what they were a few years ago. Even then, a lot of it will be killing yourself on very tight margin 'price work' :o

most of the oil jobs I've seen only pay sub £30K, unless you're a degree educated engineer with 10+ years of experience (or equivalent).

Where? Even the Secretary's out here (Middle East) are on £35K plus

Archived