House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Never Ask The Question We Need To Know

HOLA441

True to form....

One question the BBC never asks

Even by the sorry standards of the BBC – apologist-in-chief for the bloated public sector – the past few days have been vintage.

On reducing police numbers, selling off forests, the end of the Big Society, library closures – you name it – critic after critic has been wheeled out to prophesy that the Government’s cuts will mean the death of civilisation as we know it.

What the Corporation never points out is that over the past few years, the private sector has already had to go through considerable pain, with employees’ wages frozen or cut and their pensions decimated.

Equally, the question the BBC never asks, in its apocalyptic reports, is exactly how the country is going to solve the biggest debt crisis in its history.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1354709/One-question-BBC-asks.html

HOLA442

Has anyone else noticed that we get a "cuts" announcement every day , just one . Is this a deliberate policy to keep it all bubbling along to discredit the coalition. Surely it cannot be coincidence that there is one , just one subject for cuts every day ? What would happen if a council or bloated government department wanted to go out of turn ? Personally I want the MOD procurement department to have their turn sooner rather than later as they are down to their last 26000 civil servants and they are doing such a good lodb with Nimrods , helicopters , non firing guns ( shall I go on ? because I could )

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

One amusing tidbit from this morning's DM was that when Labour announced library cutbacks previously, it was presented by a the BBC as a move towards e-books. Now they are "Tory cuts". :lol:

...this was the article..... :rolleyes:

NEVER MIND THE DEBT, THE BBC FOCUSES ON THE CUTS

Dame Elisabeth was given plenty of airtime on Radio Four’s Today Programme, but the report failed to mention she was an ex- Labour councillor and adviser to Tony Blair’s government. It was not the first time recently the BBC has focused on the supposedly catastrophic effects of spending cuts while glossing over the disastrous consequences of failing to control our

massive public debt.

Here are three examples:

The Corporation’s headlines on Sunday were topped all day by a claim from the Labour Party that 10,190 uniformed police officers will disappear by the end of next year. The BBC quoted Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper, who said that ‘cutting so fast and deep is irresponsible and crazy’, and her junior on the home affairs brief, Vernon Coaker. The BBC said the Labour research was based on announcements about numbers made by two thirds of police forces, with estimates made for the rest.

It reported that Home Secretary Theresa May has said that budget cuts should not mean any reduction in numbers of officers. It did not report that she has criticised police cuts warnings as scare stories from ‘vested interest groups’.

The BBC has reported protests over library closures in Surrey, Warwickshire, Nottinghamshire, Suffolk, Gloucestershire, and Scotland. Objections from authors including Julia Donaldson have been featured on TV news bulletins.

By contrast, over the past decade the BBC paid little attention to a 41 per cent fall in book borrowing from public libraries and a 20 per cent drop in their book stocks. Nor did it say much about how library spending has risen to more than £1billion a year as the last government promoted library internet terminals and DVD and computer game lending.

In March last year, just before Labour lost power, ministers proposed closing libraries. This was reported by the BBC website as a plan to get people to borrow e-books.

The Government’s proposal to remove some forests from the control of the Forestry Commission quango and allow commercial interests to manage commercial forests has received blanket coverage.

It said ministers plan to ‘offload 258,000 hectares’ and highlighted ‘angry’ protests from the likes of Dame Judi Dench, Melvyn Bragg and the Archbishop of Canterbury.

But the minister in charge, Caroline Spelman, told BBC TV’s Politics Show that speculation had been ‘wildly inaccurate’.

INSET ON THE PAGE

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354422/MPs-hit-claims-Camerons-Big-Society-risk-spending-cuts.html

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Has anyone else noticed that we get a "cuts" announcement every day , just one . Is this a deliberate policy to keep it all bubbling along to discredit the coalition. Surely it cannot be coincidence that there is one , just one subject for cuts every day ? What would happen if a council or bloated government department wanted to go out of turn ? Personally I want the MOD procurement department to have their turn sooner rather than later as they are down to their last 26000 civil servants and they are doing such a good lodb with Nimrods , helicopters , non firing guns ( shall I go on ? because I could )

But for a large proportion of the population all they are interested in are the cuts, they give no thoughts about any reasons for them.

I was on holiday recently and there was someone in our group who was so up their own backside regarding the 'nasty' Tories making cuts they could simply not acknowledge that Labour may have spend all our money - and then some - over the past 13 years.

They are living in some utopia where money can be borrowed ad infinitum and we will never need to pay it back. It was disturbing to see someone so apparently educated stating that Ed Balls knew what he was talking about and should be Chancellor. The media brainwashing runs deep and there are many millions out there who really do think that the cuts are all the fault of the Tories and nothing to do with Labours' profligate spending having to come to an end.

I can understand that people may, from an ideological point of view, prefer Labour over Conservative but there is a very obvious ignorance of the facts that Labour made a hash of things.

HOLA4411

The BBC is the establishment. End of.

It's no wonder this kind of thing doesn't make it into the news. It's just too uncomfortable for the powers that be. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/07/tax-city-heist-of-century

...yes ...what do we expect ..?...the lefty Guardian are the main news feed into the BBC ....ask Sissons ...it was forced on him.... :rolleyes:

HOLA4412

It's all due to the unique way the BBC is funded...

I've never understood why the Conservatives just don't put the Beeb to the sword, it's like Pravda but working for the opposition.

I think we all think this, which leads me to one of two conclusions.

1) Conservatives and labour arent two different parties, but BBC gives the opinion they are, its all a big scam to give the perception of democracy (highly likely)

2) If Eastenders gets cancelled there would be blood on the streets (also very possible)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The one cut a day thing is down to the way this government are announcing things. It's got nothing to do with the media. I find it totally amazing that anyone is "silly" enough to think that it's some sort of BBC plot.

Some daft advisor to the Tories has told them that there is something better about this constant "drip, drip" method as opposed to a few huge announcements of loads of cuts.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest sillybear2

Nobody is forcing councils to close libraries, the way the Beeb is wittering on you'd think Cameron is personally deciding which one's the RAF will bomb next, well, if they had any aircraft left.

Here's a thought, the councils could instead choose to cut the pay and numbers of overpaid ar$ehole bureaucrats that are stationed in every town hall from Land's End to John o' Groats, the numbers of which have blossomed over the last decade. The country seemed to work just fine in the past before we had this parasitic management class.

That's right, they could choose to cut themselves, like a bunch of sullen teenagers. However, they have a deliberate strategy of targeting things people value so they can save themselves. It's very clever, and sadly very predictable :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_Syndrome

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA4417

Nobody is forcing councils to close libraries, the way the Beeb is wittering on you'd think Cameron is personally deciding which one's the RAF will bomb next, well, if they had any aircraft left.

Here's a thought, the councils could instead chose to cut the pay and numbers of overpaid ar$ehole bureaucrats that are stationed in every town hall from Land's End to John o' Groats, the numbers of which have blossomed over the last decade. The country seemed to work just fine in the past before we had this parasitic management class.

That's right, they could choose to cut themselves, like a bunch of sullen teenagers. However, they have a deliberate strategy of targeting things people value so they can save themselves. It's very clever, and sadly very predictable :-

http://en.wikipedia....nument_Syndrome

Exactly. The announcement yesterday from Manchester City Council was just embarrassing. Apparently the only way they can save money is by closing public toilets, swimming baths and libraries. I am certain that going through the wage bill for MCC there would be more than enough slack that could be cut to not only retain services but to enhance them. However, the council just wants to make a political point and punish the people they are tasked to serve. Pathetic.

We really need the lists and responsibilities published of all those paid over £50,000 a year in local government. Then we can see exactly where Manchester City Councils (and the others) priorities lie.

HOLA4418

Here's a thought, the councils could instead choose to cut the pay and numbers of overpaid ar$ehole bureaucrats that are stationed in every town hall from Land's End to John o' Groats, the numbers of which have blossomed over the last decade. The country seemed to work just fine in the past before we had this parasitic management class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_Syndrome

Sadly that's the whole point I am afraid; parastic public sector management tier created by Liebour/ BBC/ Guardian = exactly the same group of people. Happy to buy into the banker's greed when Liebour were in power and now the last to feel the pain if they have any say in the matter when the time comes to pay. If any of you are unaware have a look at the 'Common Purpose' learning organisation and the work it did in all these institutions working with Liebour and creating social networks since '97; it is very enlightening.

As for why the Tories don't do for the BBC as given their visceral gramscian bias they obviously should? (the latest hiding of the story over the corrupt Liebour MP is pathetic). One because they have been infected by the same disease, two because the social and economic gerrymandering achieved by Liebour makes it damn near impossible for them to do so, three because beyond a couple they are lead by weaklings and four because of the Coalition.

HOLA4419

A lady i know of was at a protest being filmed by the BBC on Monday, she said there was a warm up member of the BBC practising getting the crowd of mums and kids to chant 'no more cuts' and 'save our baths' when the red light went on for live showing.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest sillybear2

A lady i know of was at a protest being filmed by the BBC on Monday, she said there was a warm up member of the BBC practising getting the crowd of mums and kids to chant 'no more cuts' and 'save our baths' when the red light went on for live showing.

That's either shocking political bias or just a frustrated filmmaker type, did you notice any Lynchian style midgets doing somersaults in the background?

Another reason for the pain is PFI, boring I know, but those contracts are watertight and cannot be trimmed back, so everything else is cut harder to protect the previous profit flow for the bankers. Another fine 30 year mess nobody can undo.

HOLA4422

A cut a day, and a group moaning about the cuts every day.

Youth clubs under attack on the radio, bleeding heart kids crying "no where to go"

These kids aren't homeless. They just need to learn to play nice at home.

Why do their parents not want them at home with their friends?

Cos they can't bloody well behave.... so thats why they get sent out on to the streets...

but they don't need to be on the streets, or in youthclubs...

We are constantly conning these kids that they can be "given activities and places to go" ... they have to learn that life is usually dull as sh*t and they need some cheap hobbies that they can do to keep busy.

These kids bought up in constant youth clubs and stimulation need a slap and bringing back down to planet boring.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ylw9d/How_TV_Ruined_Your_Life_Aspiration/

Sort of the con that TV does to the rest of us maybe.

HOLA4423

Peter Sissons was on Radio 5 plugging his book today in which he goes on at length about the left wing bias that he witnessed during his time at the BBC.

I don't know who it was that was interviewing him but they almost had a stand up fight. Sissons was made to look like the embittered old chump that he clearly is. His "memory" was shown to be very selective and flawed. He then made the classic argumentative mistake of massively overstating his case to the extent that even a layman like me could see he was spouting pure BS.

The most glaring example was when he claimed that he was told to look in the Guardian if he needed background info on a story. The other guy doubted this claim and asked how often that happened. Sissons stated that it was routine. When further challenged regarding the exact frequency he said "It happened on every shift". Now that is just quite obviously total crap.

He also claimed that the only papers in the newsroom were the Independent and Guardian. The interviewer pointed out that a bundle containing a copy of each and every national newspaper was delivered to the newsroom daily and Sissons still stuck to his flimsy claims. <_<

HOLA4424

Peter Sissons was on Radio 5 plugging his book today in which he goes on at length about the left wing bias that he witnessed during his time at the BBC.

I don't know who it was that was interviewing him but they almost had a stand up fight. Sissons was made to look like the embittered old chump that he clearly is. His "memory" was shown to be very selective and flawed. He then made the classic argumentative mistake of massively overstating his case to the extent that even a layman like me could see he was spouting pure BS.

The most glaring example was when he claimed that he was told to look in the Guardian if he needed background info on a story. The other guy doubted this claim and asked how often that happened. Sissons stated that it was routine. When further challenged regarding the exact frequency he said "It happened on every shift". Now that is just quite obviously total crap.

He also claimed that the only papers in the newsroom were the Independent and Guardian. The interviewer pointed out that a bundle containing a copy of each and every national newspaper was delivered to the newsroom daily and Sissons still stuck to his flimsy claims. <_<

...I believe Sissons ...the BBC were trying a stitch up ....Pravda UK doesn't fit into my viewing ...I heard the Five Live interview....real little lefty interviewing who suggested all arty creative people such as the general media bias towards the left ...yeah trendy pseudu's who think they are intellectual ....they are all comedians ..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4425

....was someone from Sky or one of the other broadcasters not sacked for this style of set-up a couple of years ago..?..could be described in this case of the BBC as inciting violance....must monitor.... :rolleyes: