House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BelfastVI

Dow Jones Above 12,000

Know even less about this than I know about the housing market but the growth of this has been nothing short of astonishing. It is growing faster than it did leading up to the crash. Its almost growing as fast as it fell. There is little talk about this.

When it was in free fall in Feb 2009 few expected it to stop and even level out never mind recover the way it has. In fact, they say one of the things that turned it was the sudden growth in the sale of tinfoil and pasta.

It doesn't appear to have any effect on the housing market, although if it crashes again it no doubt will.

Is this where all the banks money is going?

Know even less about this than I know about the housing market but the growth of this has been nothing short of astonishing. It is growing faster than it did leading up to the crash. Its almost growing as fast as it fell. There is little talk about this.

When it was in free fall in Feb 2009 few expected it to stop and even level out never mind recover the way it has. In fact, they say one of the things that turned it was the sudden growth in the sale of tinfoil and pasta.

It doesn't appear to have any effect on the housing market, although if it crashes again it no doubt will.

Is this where all the banks money is going?

Partly, but it's also because many US (and UK) businesses are actually doing pretty well.

They're cutting costs and dumping staff faster than sales fall, but many are also global businesses and their customers in China, Germany, Brazil, India etc are on a spending spree.

Just don't expect these tidings of joy to flow through into US or UK employment figures or pay increases. Pfizer has just shut their R&D facility in Kent to cut costs, but Glaxo has built a huge new research facility to develop drugs for Alzheimers. One small issue though. Glaxo, Britain's biggest pharmaceutical giant, has built this world beating R&D facility in Shanghai. British company using cheap Chinese brainpower and currying favour with the gatekeepers for a market that really matters.

Expect a lot more good news for the DOW and for the FTSE over the next couple of years. I see the FTSE going from under 6000 in January to over 7000 by December, and probably topping 8000 next year before this leg of the equity bull market runs out of steam.

Partly, but it's also because many US (and UK) businesses are actually doing pretty well.

They're cutting costs and dumping staff faster than sales fall, but many are also global businesses and their customers in China, Germany, Brazil, India etc are on a spending spree.

Just don't expect these tidings of joy to flow through into US or UK employment figures or pay increases. Pfizer has just shut their R&D facility in Kent to cut costs, but Glaxo has built a huge new research facility to develop drugs for Alzheimers. One small issue though. Glaxo, Britain's biggest pharmaceutical giant, has built this world beating R&D facility in Shanghai. British company using cheap Chinese brainpower and currying favour with the gatekeepers for a market that really matters.

Expect a lot more good news for the DOW and for the FTSE over the next couple of years. I see the FTSE going from under 6000 in January to over 7000 by December, and probably topping 8000 next year before this leg of the equity bull market runs out of steam.

interesting how china , Brazils and Indias (the supposed boom markets) stock markets are lagging well below their November highs aqnd simply not confirming this optimism considering their consumers are on a wild spending spree

Me i love divergences. but then i see the FTSE going from 6000 in January to below 3000 before the end of next year,

There are clearly two sides to every market, thats what makes it interesting

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

The Federal Reserve's 'Permanent Open Market Operations' might have something to do with it. In a nutshell they use their 'reserves' (Benron dabbles quickly with keyboard) to buy large chunks of a few select stocks, I believe Apple and Netflix are favourites, which boosts the price of these well known stocks, helping to improve market sentiment and drag mugs into the market who then bid up other stocks to similar levels.

I think it's called fraud. :lol:

Edited by General Congreve