House Price Crash Forum

Video: Balls V Osborne - 1St Treasury Questions

HOLA441

Video: Ed Balls v George Osborne - 1st Treasury Questions

Osborne: "had the biggest housing bubble boom"

Main "quartet" completed: In a couple of weeks, all 4 main members of government (Cameron, Osborne, Clegg and Cable) have mentioned the hosuing bubble. This canNOT be just a coincidence. :)

Edit: Correction: Osborne actually said housing boom, not bubble. Sorry.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

"largest housing boom"

Ireland's was larger. Not that Osborne was able to recognise it at the time...

'Gordon Brown's policies are wedded to the past' [February 2006]:

http://www.putneyconservatives.co.uk/record.jsp?type=cchNews&ID=585

Shadow Chancellor George Osborne has fired a fresh broadside at Gordon Brown's economic policies and called for Britain to learn the lessons of Ireland's stunning economic success.

[...snip...]

"Ireland stands as a shining example of the art of the possible in economic policy-making. With its vision of a highly-educated, innovative, open, dynamic, low-tax economy, and relentless focus on the long-term drivers of prosperity, Ireland's economic miracle has shown that it has the right answers to the challenges of the new global economy.

"The new global economy offers us great challenges, and also great opportunities. Ireland has shown the world that wise economic policy-making can produce outstanding results that surpass all expectations, so that we can meet our potential, achieve our goals, and share rising prosperity in an increasingly competitive world. We in Britain would do well to listen and learn from our Irish neighbours."

HOLA448
HOLA449

You know what a big problem with democratic parliamentarism is in the UK? The whole sodding setup with people facing eachother in parliament, taking turns with the roast, all trying to take the piss the most eloquent way. People tune out. Just a bloody show for the masses about who's got the biggest willy.

How about some bloody factual discussion without interuptions.

HOLA4410
Britain HAD the largest housing boom

Close

Yes, the past tense is annoying.

Though I understand a British Chancellor cannot say that we are still near the top of the biggest housing bubble in British history...

Or could he? :unsure:

It would be fun. No doubt about that.

The question would be if this level of "excitement" would kill the patient - the UK banking system, and then the UK economy.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

You know what a big problem with democratic parliamentarism is in the UK? The whole sodding setup with people facing eachother in parliament, taking turns with the roast, all trying to take the piss the most eloquent way. People tune out. Just a bloody show for the masses about who's got the biggest willy.

How about some bloody factual discussion without interuptions.

Good point.

But it is not only in Parliament. Our media is as cr@p. The "Paxman style" actually just fishes for sensationalist, demagogic angles, hopping to be quoted in the following day's tabloids, instead of actually analysing the issue intelligently and honestly.

HOLA4419

Video: Ed Balls v George Osborne - 1st Treasury Questions

Osborne: "had the biggest housing bubble boom"

Main "quartet" completed: In a couple of weeks, all 4 main members of government (Cameron, Osborne, Clegg and Cable) have mentioned the hosuing bubble. This canNOT be just a coincidence. :)

Edit: Correction: Osborne actually said housing boom, not bubble. Sorry.

Labour again run out of the other people money ....

HOLA4420

If they are all saying it then it is no accident.

Letting the public know we had a massive boom - so when we have a massive bust they can blame the previous incumbents ?

Hopefully.

I would hope so. But I think the current government is, at the same time, trying to avoid a "massive bust".

Shapps admits that HPrices are unaffordable, but he keeps saying that their ideal scenario is house price "stability", with average earnings growing 2% more than house prices/year. So, in "10 or 20 years" :rolleyes: houses would be affordable again.

I find hard to believe that the government - even with the banks' help - could manage and afford such a long "correction".

I don't know what is their game plan.

I think that, with the banks' help, they could cushion this fall, and probably limit it to single digit nominal annual falls (politically less damaging than a double digit), for 2 or 3 years. Plus inflation (3% to 5%/year?), they would be able to have a nominal correction of up to 30%, and real correction of up to 40% or 45% - without breaking the banks. A lot of space there.

Though property owners would be really p!ssed.

HOLA4421

Labour again run out of the other people money ....

Agreed. Balls had his ar$e handed to him on a plate there.

On a separate note, the coalition's recent repeated and open discussion of the housing "boom" leads me to believe that we are headed for house price falls. My guess is real terms over at least this parliament (4 years).

HOLA4422

I would hope so. But I think the current government is, at the same time, trying to avoid a "massive bust".

Shapps admits that HPrices are unaffordable, but he keeps saying that their ideal scenario is house price "stability", with average earnings growing 2% more than house prices/year. So, in "10 or 20 years" :rolleyes: houses would be affordable again.

I find hard to believe that the government - even with the banks' help - could manage and afford such a long "correction".

I think that, with the banks' help, they could cushion this fall, and probably limit it to a single digit nominal fall (politically less damaging than a double digit), for 2 or 3 years. Plus inflation (3% to 5%/year?), they would be able to have a nominal correction of up to 30%, and real correction of up to 40% or 45% - without breaking the banks. A lot of space there.

Though property owners would be really p!ssed

I agree with you that it is their motivation, but:

- government does not have any spare cash

- banks do not have the spare cash

- IRs going up

I do not think they have a chance ....

HOLA4423

I think that, with the banks' help, they could cushion this fall, and probably limit it to single digit nominal annual falls (politically less damaging than a double digit), for 2 or 3 years. Plus inflation (3% to 5%/year?), they would be able to have a nominal correction of up to 30%, and real correction of up to 40% or 45% - without breaking the banks. A lot of space there.

Though property owners would be really p!ssed.

They are never going to say were going to let the market crash even if it was their plan,and like some else have said watch what they do and not what they said they would do

HOLA4424
HOLA4425