House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_duke_of_hazzard

Ipv6

I've been tasked with figuring out what problems will arise from IPv6 becoming more standard.

We supply software to consumer-facing website businesses.

I've read up on it on wikipedia et al, but don't really get a feel for how this will affect them at a business level. I assume people with OSes pre-2000 may well have issues connecting to sites that are IPv6 only?

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get this info?

Also (for example), MySQL seems to offer no IPv6 support, but I'm not sure under what circumstances this will be a problem. I could guess, but would like something more concrete.

TIA

I've been tasked with figuring out what problems will arise from IPv6 becoming more standard.

I've read up on it on wikipedia et al, but don't really get a feel for how this will affect them at a business level. I assume people with OSes pre-2000 may well have issues connecting to sites that are IPv6 only?

Also (for example), MySQL seems to offer no IPv6 support, but I'm not sure under what circumstances this will be a problem. I could guess, but would like something more concrete.

TIA

Might want to look out for badly written integration code joining applications, bound to be some legacy techniques applied.

TIA

I've done some development in this area, specifically working with, storing and indexing IPv6 addresses using MySQL and PHP.

It's vaguely tricky, mainly because, as IPv6 addresses are 128 bits long, you may find you'll tend to keep bumping into the ceiling of many primitive data types and associated functions -- and suffering numeric overflows or similar ranging issues.

How tricky it gets may depend somewhat on what you need to do with the IPv6 addresses you deal with. If you just need to store IP addresses and not much else (many people seem to be in this situation), it almost doesn't matter how they're stored -- so even just character strings may suffice. However, if you need to work with IP addresses numerically (establishing country codes from IP-address ranges, say), then those word-lengths and other related issues such as indexing for quick look ups can really become a nuisance -- although not insoluble, as I've discovered.

If you'd like to chat a bit, maybe we could swap some contact info via PMs, but as I assume it's for business, I wouldn't want to converse for too long without talking about hourly rates of remuneration... ;)

"To ignore IPv6 is to risk your medium to long term business viability."

tanks on the streets then.

Is this the zombie child of the Y2k bug? :huh:

Is this the zombie child of the Y2k bug? :huh:

In some respects it's worse. With the Y2K bug there was a fixed deadline where you either needed a fix or a workaround or you'd be screwed; with IPV6 we're going to switch over through the course of the next few years so most people won't bother doing the required work until something bites them in the ass. I'm sure Microsoft will be rubbing their hands with glee because XP doesn't handle IPV6 very well so there'll finally be a reason for companies to buy Windows 8 instead.

Most of the Linux applications I've tried work fine with IPV6, but I've no idea about Windows.

Care to explain? I know its built into Service Pack 3, but I havent tested it yet.

AFAIR you have to manually configure the IPV6 address, it doesn't support IPSEC and it rejects some perfectly valid addresses. I believe there are some other features it doesn't support either.