House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hyperduck Quack Quack

Manchester City Council To Close All Public Toilets Except One.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-12389726

2000 jobs to go, £109 million cuts, all public toilets except one to close, weekly bin collection to become fortnightly, parking charges extended tt evenings and Sundays. Also 5 libraries and some swimming pools closing.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

Correct me if I'm wrong but actually Marks and Spencers can be used by the public (they use them anyway I guess!) as part of a deal with the council.

I currently park my car on the street just 5min from the city centre. There's actually a ton of free parking if you know where to look but I reckon these will start to disappear. All it takes is a guy with a brush and yellow paint to draw the line.

Edited by cica

Ah, the Washington Monument Syndrome comes to Manchester.

Start by cutting all the 'services' that tax payers would not notice disappearing - except perhaps terms of less bureaucracy and council tax bills?

Nah, slash something visible and useful that will p*ss people off.

Sickening. Next time I need a wee I will do it in the doorway of the (no doubt grand) council offices.

Start by cutting all the 'services' that tax payers would not notice disappearing - except perhaps terms of less bureaucracy and council tax bills?
I don't know about Manchester but most councils have done that already. My local county council has been facing cutbacks for years and have pared away all obvious inefficiencies.

I don't know about Manchester but most councils have done that already. My local county council has been facing cutbacks for years and have pared away all obvious inefficiencies.

this is a serious inconvenience

The head of my council is grossly overpaid -- he's making 20% more than the mayor of New York City for an area with 2% of the population, and he's a 40 year old ex-policeman with no formal qualifications. To say that local councils aren't cutting waste when you have massive salaries for senior officials simply beggars belief.

Edited by RichC

Sickening. Next time I need a wee I will do it in the doorway of the (no doubt grand) council offices.

Didn't know it had a name. Great!

I bet Manchester council do over 1000 seperate things. They could cut the top 990 things and nobody would care, but instead they cut items in the top 10.

I wonder how many public toilets the CEOs salary could pay for!

Where are the public toilets in Manchester?

I can only think of the ones at the town hall extension anyway...

It's not like there's not enough cafes in Manchester...

It is a beautiful building.

0306_manchester_town_hall.jpg

Edited by Red Karma

Pop trivia round - interior doubled as the Houses of Parliament in the recent Robert Downey Sherlock Holmes movie

I heard a rumour they sold it to the japanese and lease it back...

Suspect a FOI request is needed but cba

Didn't know it had a name. Great!

I bet Manchester council do over 1000 seperate things. They could cut the top 990 things and nobody would care, but instead they cut items in the top 10.

I wonder how many public toilets the CEOs salary could pay for!

Yup, that's pretty much the sum of it. Easier to hurt the public than to hurt themselves. I can accept some cuts in useful services are necessary, but it's utterly intolerable that they are happening until every bit of fat and waste has been pared away. These days there are probably laws that make it harder - you can throw away something if it'll hurt everyone equally badly, but if it hurts a small group a little and everyone else won't notice it then that's discriminatory.

Are the folks getting the message ? ...

It's like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder

How I keep from moving down under

Broken glass everywhere

Mancs' pi$$ing on the stairs, you know the council don't care

..Don't push me 'cos I'm close to the Edgeley Park

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship