House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Retail Sales Soared To Frenzy Pitch In January Due To Pent Up Demand

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-08/u-k-retail-sales-advance-at-fastest-pace-in-10-months-brc-says.html

U.K. Retail Sales Advance at Fastest Pace in 10 Months, BRC Says
U.K. retail sales rose at the
fastest pace in 10 months
in January as consumer spending rebounded after the coldest December in a century, the British Retail Consortium said.
Sales at stores open at least 12 months, measured by value, rose 2.3 percent from a year earlier, compared with a 0.8 percent decline in December, the London-based BRC said in an e- mailed statement today.
Pent-up demand
after December’s snow and New Year discounts contributed to the gain, it said.

Funny, I am seeing more and more establishments around here closing down. Pity John lewis didn't know about this splurge before publishing their results for January.

That apart, this will no doubt make Merv vigilant this Thursday.

Vat rose 2.5% so that shows you the like for like retail sales fell 0.2% at the very least! :lol:

You couldnt spin it any better! :lol::lol::lol:

If only it were that simple. A lot of items like food, kiddies clothes are not subject to VAT.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-08/u-k-retail-sales-advance-at-fastest-pace-in-10-months-brc-says.html

U.K. Retail Sales Advance at Fastest Pace in 10 Months, BRC Says
U.K. retail sales rose at the
fastest pace in 10 months
in January as consumer spending rebounded after the coldest December in a century, the British Retail Consortium said.
Sales at stores open at least 12 months, measured by value, rose 2.3 percent from a year earlier, compared with a 0.8 percent decline in December, the London-based BRC said in an e- mailed statement today.
Pent-up demand
after December’s snow and New Year discounts contributed to the gain, it said.

Funny, I am seeing more and more establishments around here closing down. Pity John lewis didn't know about this splurge before publishing their results for January.

That apart, this will no doubt make Merv vigilant this Thursday.

Sorry, I just don't believe a retail boom is going on and reckon these figures are total tosh to try and get a 'feel good' factor going with the Daily Fail sheeple. Look at the John Lewis figures for the new year - and they cater for a supposedly well off customer base.

Anecdotally, I'm seeing cafes, sandwich bars, nightclubs, Bookmakers and clothing retailers close (in some cases doing a moonlight flit) around the SE London and North Kent area. My father said 3 restaurants down the Fulham Road have closed since Christmas, doesn't seem much of a boom to me....unless of course it's the banksters spending OUR cash :angry:

Sorry, I just don't believe a retail boom is going on and reckon these figures are total tosh to try and get a 'feel good' factor going with the Daily Fail sheeple. Look at the John Lewis figures for the new year - and they cater for a supposedly well off customer base.

Anecdotally, I'm seeing cafes, sandwich bars, nightclubs, Bookmakers and clothing retailers close (in some cases doing a moonlight flit) around the SE London and North Kent area. My father said 3 restaurants down the Fulham Road have closed since Christmas, doesn't seem much of a boom to me....unless of course it's the banksters spending OUR cash :angry:

If the banksters are they are not going into to debt to do so - obviously don't undersand real wealth and as a sector are no driver of that wealth.

1321.jpg

from vlog

http://overthepeak.com/wordpress/