House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

1 Billion Wasted On Widening M25

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12387767

Time to cancel the remainder of the M25 widening project.

I use the M25 occasionally and the widened sections are nice, but I think the money would have been better spent turning the A34 and A 43 into a 'Hamptons' motorway running from the M3 near Southampton up to the M1 at Northampton ,via Oxford. That would relive a lot of traffic using the busiest NW section of the M25, and it could be built mainly along the route of existing dual carriageway, minimising environmental impact.

the A34 and A43 are only really busy at rush hour and have some stupidly planned junctions on them that actually cause congestion..... can't think why planners would do that (the M40 is as bad, look at the daftness cutting the motorway to 2 lanes at Oxford and H Wycombe - when all they had to do was use the hard shoulder at the junctions .... guess where most jams are now...

widening the M25 is essential. Most of our export goods go through it and it's a car park on the E side around the tunnel and bridge particularly. Even now, they have done most of the Western side, it's still a nightmare where the M23, A3, M3, A30, M40, A40 and M1 feed into it.... which is a prime route for millions of people who use it regularly.

I understand why you want your journeys shorter, but outside of peak hours the roads you mention are not that bad at all , the immediate need is so obviously on the M25

widening the M25 is essential.
widening the M25 is was essential.

I thought it was essential too until recently but I've changed my mind. There should be a concerted effort to get more long distance freight back onto the railways - particularly container transport. Of course, rail isn't the solution for all freight transport, but where it is, it should be used. As for car traffic, I think that has just about peaked as motoring will get more and more expensive and fewer people are learning to drive these days.

he A34 and A43 are only really busy at rush hour and have some stupidly planned junctions on them that actually cause congestion..... can't think why planners would do that (the M40 is as bad, look at the daftness cutting the motorway to 2 lanes at Oxford and H Wycombe - when all they had to do was use the hard shoulder at the junctions ..
But if it was converted to motorway standards throughout and the A 420 link from M4 (Swindon) to Oxford was upgraded, it would provide a route between south and the Midlands instead of M3-M25-M1 or M40.