House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

Ok Tfhw, You Gave Me This, Now Fix It!

You might call it "heart-burn" or "indigestion" and tell me to gulp the Gaviscon, but I take my health pretty seriously so I'm gonna give it the name I suspect fits best (my GP will be telling me one way or the other) : Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Thing is, with all the talk of impending this and unavoidable that (all ranging from nasty to out-right hell) from you TFHWs, is it any wonder I now find myself under the weather? So, having guilt-tripped you a little, how's about telling me how I can fight this thing. My suspicion is half of you know you've got it while the other half have yet to be diagnosed. I reckon you must have your fave tips on dealing with this rotten condition, and seeing as you are partly responsible I demand you share them - for the good of us all!

The guy who sits next to me at work has it. ******ing rank. Burps and belches pretty much non stop. Doesn't stop him eating like a pig and having a belly the size of a pregnant bird though. :angry:

Sorry I don't have much more to add. If you happen to be a fattie then there it appears there is a pretty simple answer to your problem.

If not then bad luck. Seems to be lots of other factors that can be involved.

The guy who sits next to me at work has it. ******ing rank. Burps and belches pretty much non stop. Doesn't stop him eating like a pig and having a belly the size of a pregnant bird though. :angry:

Sorry I don't have much more to add. If you happen to be a fattie then there it appears there is a pretty simple answer to your problem.

If not then bad luck. Seems to be lots of other factors that can be involved.

I agree, that t!t should lose weight. Some people just ask for trouble. Weight has never been a problem for me. Diet-wise I'm avoiding anything that the literature suggests aggrivates it. And that includes the two chocolate biscuits I have of a weekend. TBH, I'm a lil worried I might start to waste away. I'm thinking therein lies the real problem. I worry about everything. B0110x to this.

I agree, that t!t should lose weight. Some people just ask for trouble. Weight has never been a problem for me. Diet-wise I'm avoiding anything that the literature suggests aggrivates it. And that includes the two chocolate biscuits I have of a weekend. TBH, I'm a lil worried I might start to waste away. I'm thinking therein lies the real problem. I worry about everything. B0110x to this.

This guy has a serious choccie biscuit addiction too - we may have found the truth !!

On a more serious note I doubt worrying about stuff helps much.

One possibilty if you have a large stomach and fat is if the waistband round your trousers are too tight that can cause the gut to sit above the waistband forcing everything else up including your stomachs contents, thus you get reflux. Do you experience less of this problem when in lazy gear ie stretchable waitband sort of stuff?

Other things could be stress which is manifesting itself as excessive stomach acid.

Have you been to a dr?

Already covered the weight thing. Not my problem. I'm 6ft & 11.5 stone.

Stress is the defo problem. I used to trade on my own account lots. I mean like perhaps 20 times a day. Eventually I decided the disruption to my life wasn't worth the candle. Bang it all in the bank and sit back. Now these f@cks are telling us we must embrace risk. Just talking about it brings it all back. Does meditation really work?

As for the doc, I'm seeing him later this week.

This guy has a serious choccie biscuit addiction too - we may have found the truth !!

On a more serious note I doubt worrying about stuff helps much.

Dude, I said TWO! TWO biccies. A WEEK! :D And the saddest thing is it's the god's honest. :(

Yeah, worry is probably the issue. Maybe I need to go experience some really worry, like the poor lads in Afghanistan are experienceing. Put things in perspective. Then again maybe not. Anyone see the (Dispatches?) prog of the US soldiers there? Literally treating each footsetp as an IED trigger (cos it really could be). And when you aren't doing that you're alienating the locals. That's gotta take its toll. And it will. Both we and the Americans are storing up a whole heap of sh1t ... but that's for another post.

I'm 6'1" and weigh 15stone but wouldnt think it to look at me, muscle weighs more than fat but if I squeeze into a tight pair of trousers say a 34" waist I will get acid reflux.

Believe it or not I found when I started taking my VitD3 my stress levels went down abit. Cant comment about meditation but a dam good massage will send me to sleep.

Getting outdoors also reduces stress. http://www.yourdocmedical.co.uk/news/157

I've got a dog so take him for walks all the time which also helps improve memory http://www.inlandnewstoday.com/story.php?s=17805 and avoiding things that can create stress also helps. Green Tea for example is better than black tea becuase the lower caffeine has less of an impact.

The problem with stress is it creeps up on you so its hard to guage just how stressed you are until you start suffering from stress related conditions, like indigestion, eczema, hair loss you name it. But with all of these conditions there could also be other underlying reasons for them.

Even a good nights sleep can help, but if you feel you are trapped in a situ which you are uncomfortable with like a job, money worries et al then you really need to tackle the bull by the horns and sort it out as you see fit, instead of hoping it will go away.

Some wise words there. But in truth, I think I'm suffering from that bane of males of a certain age.

Yep, a mid-life crisis. :D

Maybe I need a Harley?

Perhaps I should add that just prior to this 'flare-up' I'd taken to chewing gum (sugar free) just before bed, and in some circumstances, even in bed. I got it into my head through a variety of sources that Xylitol sweetened gum was a great way to help protect teeth from decay and saw it as an easy way to keep my choppers healthy. However, peppermint is a well known esophageal sphincter relaxant. So I guess you can see how lying down and relaxing your stomach sphincter might lead to problems.

I think I have basically f@cked with the principal of "if it ain't broke..." and am now suffering the consequences.

Gastric reflux is not good for you; it can burn and increase oesophegal cancer risk.

A common cause is a hiatus hernia, where the oesophagus and stomach get trapped where the oesophagus passes through the diaphragm.

The reflux can be effectively treated with a proton-pump inhibitor.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I'm not even a vet.

I had it ten or so years ago, it was horrible to keep tasting sick in my mouth. I did a bit of reading and decided it was probably weight-derived so I lost some (don't remember how much) and it went away. Reading this thread a co-cause would have been too-tight trousers, so losing the weight did something about this as well. Never had it since.

Some wise words there. But in truth, I think I'm suffering from that bane of males of a certain age.

Yep, a mid-life crisis. :D

Maybe I need a Harley?

Perhaps I should add that just prior to this 'flare-up' I'd taken to chewing gum (sugar free) just before bed, and in some circumstances, even in bed. I got it into my head through a variety of sources that Xylitol sweetened gum was a great way to help protect teeth from decay and saw it as an easy way to keep my choppers healthy. However, peppermint is a well known esophageal sphincter relaxant. So I guess you can see how lying down and relaxing your stomach sphincter might lead to problems.

I think I have basically f@cked with the principal of "if it ain't broke..." and am now suffering the consequences.

What about exercise ? You do much of it ? Brilliant stress reliever.

Mid life crisis ? Perhaps join the gang who become lycra clad runners or cyclists :)

You may look like a tit but you will feel great. being 6ft 1 and 11.5 stone - you would appear to be a good build for a triathlete.

Depending on how old you are, muscle mass you have and exercise you do, you might be suffering from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypogonadism

I tick irritability, but I'm guessing it's exogenous, mostly because it's largely triggered by talk Mervyn King, Bob Diamond, Eric Daniels, Fred Goodwin - oh god I'm getting heart burn again..

Re the gum. Artificial sweetners are not good for you. Donald Rumsfeld has an interest in one such company that makes AS's.

http://www.naturalnews.com/026849_aspartame_health_Donald_Rumsfeld.html

Xylitol is not artificial. But you've sparked my heartburn again by mentioning DR.

Gastric reflux is not good for you; it can burn and increase oesophegal cancer risk.

A common cause is a hiatus hernia, where the oesophagus and stomach get trapped where the oesophagus passes through the diaphragm.

The reflux can be effectively treated with a proton-pump inhibitor.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I'm not even a vet.

But you can read Wikipedia, and I thank you for bothering and showing an interest.

What about exercise ? You do much of it ? Brilliant stress reliever.

Yeah, I need more of that. Used to be so active.

Mid life crisis ? ....You may look like a tit

I thought looking a bit of a tit was the definition of a mlc. Now you're telling me it's a cure!

Peppermint definitely can be a trigger. I used to drink loads of peppermint tea to help digestion lower down. Had to give it up all together now as a few cups and the heartburn starts up.

Chewing gum - definite no no - gets your stomach expecting food that never arrives.

Otherwise - yes, worry less! Most worry is pretty useless. As others have said, get active.

Meditation does work for many - these days there's loads of it about to learn minus the religious side, Google "mindfulness" and you're bound to get someone running some groups in your area.