House Price Crash Forum
ska_mna

Advice Please: Longer Letting Agreement For Property

Hello all,

I'm after some advice if anyone's willing. G'friend and I looked at a rental property today that we're interested in, but it turns out it has no white goods or oven, water run-off problems in the courtyard, no carpets in some rooms and generally a bit messy. It's being offered on a shorthold 6 month tenancy agreement, and the landlord has recently been trying to sell it but now looks like they're going to try letting it out. So basically on a 6 month agreement it's a non-starter as we'd be mad to pay for carpets, curtains, ovens, freezers, fridges plus spend considerable time cleaning it up only to find after 6 months the landlord has decided to kick us out and try selling it again.

However it does have a lot of plus points, so we're thinking of asking if they'd be willing to let it out on a longer letting agreement (as if we were guaranteed tenancy for longer, it'd a great opportunity to sort it out and live in a house we'd never be able to afford if we were buying).

Does anyone have any experience of longer term letting agreements, as I've never been on anything other than shorthold agreements. Something like the fabled-French style letting agreements would be marvelous - is there a UK equivalent? It'd be great to able to approach them and say "how about letting it out on one of these agreements"?

Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I'm after some advice if anyone's willing. G'friend and I looked at a rental property today that we're interested in, but it turns out it has no white goods or oven, water run-off problems in the courtyard, no carpets in some rooms and generally a bit messy. It's being offered on a shorthold 6 month tenancy agreement, and the landlord has recently been trying to sell it but now looks like they're going to try letting it out. So basically on a 6 month agreement it's a non-starter as we'd be mad to pay for carpets, curtains, ovens, freezers, fridges plus spend considerable time cleaning it up only to find after 6 months the landlord has decided to kick us out and try selling it again.

However it does have a lot of plus points, so we're thinking of asking if they'd be willing to let it out on a longer letting agreement (as if we were guaranteed tenancy for longer, it'd a great opportunity to sort it out and live in a house we'd never be able to afford if we were buying).

Does anyone have any experience of longer term letting agreements, as I've never been on anything other than shorthold agreements. Something like the fabled-French style letting agreements would be marvelous - is there a UK equivalent? It'd be great to able to approach them and say "how about letting it out on one of these agreements"?

Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

I personally wouldn' t consider going into an agreement such as this with an accidental landlord. He would rather sell the house than rent it out and I suspect, despite what he says now, he will sell at the first sniff of an offer anywhere near what he's looking for. I'm not sure what rights you would have if the landlord decided to sell the property.

I have rented on a long lease before, in a house similar to what you mention(in terms of furnishings etc) but this was an estate house (within the grounds of a stately home) and these tend to be managed slightly differently,. The contract was a bog standard ast however.

If you and the landlord come to a contractual arrangement then thats the contract. So if they go for the terms you want then you're in and they could sell but the buyers would have to take on the contract. Be wary though as most of whats agreed to in the contract would be negotiated terms and fall outside of the unfair terms in consumer contracts legislation. Be sure that it was never the landlords primary residence as they can lay claim over it and get you out I believe. And if you go for it get rental increases fixed in the terms so there is no shafting you out that way by either them wanting to sell or a new landlord. Also if it's not on BtL mortgage you may find yourself out on your ass when they can't make the payments.

Carpets are cheap, the landlord should be willing to fix that before you even sign anything.

Read the PDFs here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Privaterenting/Tenancies/DG_189101

Can I get my property back when the fixed term of a shorthold

tenancy has ended?

If the tenancy started on or after 28 February 1997

You have a right to regain possession without giving any grounds for possession

at any time after any fixed term which you agreed with the tenant comes to an

end or at any time during a contractual or statutory periodic tenancy, provided it

is at least 6 months since the start of the original tenancy. For example, if you

initially agreed a tenancy of 4 months, and subsequently issued a replacement

tenancy to follow it, you cannot regain possession until 2 months after the start

of the replacement tenancy. However, if the original tenancy was for more than

6 months, you can regain possession at any time during the replacement tenancy.

Why not just explain your concerns to the landlord and offer them less money?

If they don't agree, just walk away. It sounds like there are problems with the flat that go beyond the length of the lease.

Thanks for the replies everyone. We've definitely got our reservations about the landlord's intentions, but will put our terms across and then see what happens. If it smells remotely dodgy then it's not worth the risk (as all things said, we do like the place we're in now anyway).

Cheers.