House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

If You Had Your Time Again, What Would You Do.

Imagine it's 1995 and you know then what you know now ( regarding property/banks/lending ).

What would you do, would you go heavily into BTL, would you over-stretch yourself and max up on the mortgage, or would you put every penny you earned into gold and rented ?

I think i'd go for option 3.

Imagine it's 1995 and you know then what you know now ( regarding property/banks/lending ).

What would you do, would you go heavily into BTL, would you over-stretch yourself and max up on the mortgage, or would you put every penny you earned into gold and rented ?

then you'd end up a CGNAO. You could have risen to be a property millionaire, and sold just before the peak. Like the Wilsons, but getting to win.

Given the lack of a time machine - pointless hypothesizing, really.

All ruminating about what you've missed out on does is make you feel more miserable.

A big part of our materialist culture appears to centre on concentrating on what you don't have - not on what you do ('aspiration'). Creates constant tension and stress.

Best think of the here and now, rather than getting twisted into a ball of resentment by dwelling on what might have been.

Don't waste your emotional energy.

Buy crude with as much possible leveraging. 2007 sell crude, then short to 2009, buy again to present day. Retire to my own island in the carribean :D

But all you can do is look at the evidence and make an educated guess what you think will happen and take a stance.

I'd probably buy Enron and maybe some other tech stocks. That way, I'd just be robbing some greedy idiot, rather than helping make pricing unaffordable. I'd sell at the peak then leave the country, never to return.

i wouldnt have spent 5 minutes explaining my plan for Global Domination through liqourice allsorts to that James Bond chappie, that's for sure.

To all other evil geniuses out there: No matter how tempting it is to chat and gloat, and no matter how much he encourages you, just STFU and get one of your minions to shoot him, with no messing about or delay.

Edited by General Melchett

Given the lack of a time machine - pointless hypothesizing, really.

All ruminating about what you've missed out on does is make you feel more miserable.

A big part of our materialist culture appears to centre on concentrating on what you don't have - not on what you do ('aspiration'). Creates constant tension and stress.

Best think of the here and now, rather than getting twisted into a ball of resentment by dwelling on what might have been.

Don't waste your emotional energy.

Post of the day.

I remember back in about 1995, just before the BTL mortgage became available, I did the sums on buying a property just to rent out. The yield was easily 10% so figured I could own the property outright after 15 years. Unfortunatly I wasn't earning much so nothing came of it. Wish I had.

I remember back in about 1995, just before the BTL mortgage became available, I did the sums on buying a property just to rent out. The yield was easily 10% so figured I could own the property outright after 15 years. Unfortunatly I wasn't earning much so nothing came of it. Wish I had.

Just to add, I would have sold up a long time ago if I had. The shame of being a LL would be too much.

Hindsight and time machines are wonderful things. :D

If you look through time you only really need to ride 2 waves/bubbles in a row to be set up for life. Perhaps over only 10-15 years. However working out IN ADVANCE what these things are is the tricky bit.

Tech shares - 1995-2000

Pwoperdee - 2000-2007

12 years - set up for life. However how many people out there followed this exact route ? Anyone ever met one - or even read about one ? I have many who did one or the other. Some getting in and out at the right time - some not. However 2 in a row ? Nope. Never even heard of one.

I would be surprised if Worldwide even a handful of people did the above ALL IN and for the exact years.

Just shows how tricky it is. Unless you are looking back of course. But that is sort of obvious.

Hindsight and time machines are wonderful things. :D

If you look through time you only really need to ride 2 waves/bubbles in a row to be set up for life. Perhaps over only 10-15 years. However working out IN ADVANCE what these things are is the tricky bit.

Tech shares - 1995-2000

Pwoperdee - 2000-2007

12 years - set up for life. However how many people out there followed this exact route ? Anyone ever met one - or even read about one ? I have many who did one or the other. Some getting in and out at the right time - some not. However 2 in a row ? Nope. Never even heard of one.

I would be surprised if Worldwide even a handful of people did the above ALL IN and for the exact years.

Just shows how tricky it is. Unless you are looking back of course. But that is sort of obvious.

Well I rode property from 2002-2007 (only a 1 bed unfortunately, but a 55% profit), then put the proceeds in an Icesave account at 6% for just over a year, pulling it all out 2 days before they collapsed and spending most of the loot on physical gold. :D

So far, so good. Probably didn't start with enough leverage to be set up for life, but could do pretty well for myself providing gold becomes the mega-bubble that I predict it will.

It's also worth considering what advice you'd give to friends and family. A good friend bought into the 'better get on the ladder quick' propaganda and completed on an apartment one week before Northern Rock went belly up :blink: . Kind of makes me think that my personal financial situation could be much worse than it presently is and I'm grateful for that.

Not buying a house in the 1990s was one of the worst financial decisions I ever made

Not buying a house in the 2000s is looking like a better decision every day...

I bought a house in 1995 :D ... what I'd change again is not marrying the stupid lying cheating woman that I did and then giving her the house so I could walk away. :(

Well I rode property from 2002-2007 (only a 1 bed unfortunately, but a 55% profit), then put the proceeds in an Icesave account at 6% for just over a year, pulling it all out 2 days before they collapsed and spending most of the loot on physical gold. :D

So far, so good. Probably didn't start with enough leverage to be set up for life, but could do pretty well for myself providing gold becomes the mega-bubble that I predict it will.

Yep - so far so good. However what are the chances you will be looking back in 10 eyars time saying 'I got into gold and out of gold at EXACTLY the right time' ?

Slim to none. And many would already say getting into gold in 2007 was already way to late. Anyway that is aother debate and time will tell. And whatever your views it certainly wont be seen as a poitn in history where, in hindsight, it made sense to jump into gold. That was clearly a good few years earlier. So you have already failed the 2 in a row challenge. :P

And whilst teh icesave one was a tight call its return is not good enough to be classed as 'Riding the wave' IMO.

Good luck though !! Anyway you see the point.

I bought a house in 1995 :D ... what I'd change again is not marrying the stupid lying cheating woman that I did and then giving her the house so I could walk away. :(

I heard a good piece of advice once. I think it was a joke but then again not too sure.

Don't ever bother getting married. Just find a woman you hate and buy her a house instead.

:lol:

Edited by ccc

I was 11 years old in 1995, so didnt have much money to my name and i guess couldnt a the legal owner of a house.

I guess i would have taken my christmas and birthday money and gone to ladbrokes to bet on some airplanes crashing into the twin towers. probably would have done quite well out of that.

No Wealth without Work.

No Pleasure without Conscience.

No Science without Humanity.

No Knowledge without Character.

No Politics without Principle.

No Commerce without Morality.

No Worship without Sacrifice.

Mahatma Gandhi.

I know a few people who are set for life after becoming BTL'ers since 1997. One has 6 houses in a now expensive area and the other has 14 (all terraces) with total annual rent grossing over £50,000.

I regret not going into BTL when I was 13 :(

The only thing that saved me from complete turmoil was a very generous inheritence from a relative (a house) which I sold, put some money in shares, gold, silver and am now in rental and aiming for a 3-4 bed detached in 2-3 years.

Edited by Kazuya