House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

R4 12 Midday Julian Worricker Talks To Grant Shapps

The question I would like to ask him is,

"will you set up a police task force to investigate, and rigorously prosecute, bankers involved in forwarding liar loans to mortgagees given that is the underlying problem with the housing market?"

which way will he blow in the wind today... Me thinks Mr Shnaapps will be pushing his shared equity crap.

I'm also expecting that dangerous nonsense as 'the way forward'.

The question I would like to ask him is,

"will you set up a police task force to investigate, and rigorously prosecute, bankers involved in forwarding liar loans to mortgagees given that is the underlying problem with the housing market?"

Good one.

Another interesting question would be: Would you advise young FTBers to buy now? at these current price levels? Do you think it would be a wise decision by, say, a young couple?

which way will he blow in the wind today... Me thinks Mr Shnaapps will be pushing his shared equity crap.

Probably, but we may have a small chance of a good surprise. Coz in these past 2 or 3 weeks Cable, Cameron and Clegg have mentioned the house/property bubble/boom.

Let's see.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Probably, but we may have a small chance of a good surprise. Coz in these past 2 or 3 weeks Cable, Cameron and Clegg have mentioned the house/property bubble/boom.

Let's see.

If you are going to name names then be fair, i think Brown mentioned one when he took office so fair play to him aswell

Good post. Will comment.

The way radio 4 trailed the show was the usual, 'And just why can't FTB's get the mortgages they so desperately need?'

Don't expect much.

Why is it so hard for these people to understand that it's not mortgage availability that's the problem it's the price. I'm a simple pleb and can understand that!

yes but you do have a lovelyhead to make up for being a pleb

Good post. Will comment.

The way radio 4 trailed the show was the usual, 'And just why can't FTB's get the mortgages they so desperately need?'

Don't expect much.

I heard that....just why are FTBs having difficulty getting mortgages and just what is being done to help them.

trouble is, doing something usually involves them paying more for their house, and for longer.

Why is it so hard for these people to understand that it's not mortgage availability that's the problem it's the price. I'm a simple pleb and can understand that!

Have put exactly that on Shapps website. My comment 'is awaiting moderation'...

EDIT: my comment is now on in 33rd place (2)

Edited by juvenal

"There was too much 'cash' floating around. "

half way right I suppose.

If that was teh case, why the SIVs to hide the true workings behind all this "excess" cash?

and if they had excess cash, why would they have run into "liquidity problems", needing cash to bail them out.

You honestly think they don't understand?

They understand perfectly.

They just don't want to admit it.

Wait - has Shapps said that the problem is that prices are too high??

Yes he did, every time he had an opportunity to speak, and even if that was not the question put to him. :)

And that we had crazy lending policies, too much credit.

And he mentioned too that prices are too high in relation to average earnings.

Pretty waffly, nice of Shapps to mention that house prices have gone from 3x incomes to 8x incomes though. Seems like he pretty much gets it but can't say too much so as not to startle the cattle.

Will we ever hear a BBC 'interviewer' ask the question: "are house prices too high"?

It's a blindingly obvious question, and yet they would much rather ask about the seating arrangements at a round table summit where industry representatives are due to discuss initiatives for the implementation of zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don't believe he ever said prices are too high, I think you might be putting words in his mouth.

He used various ways to say that prices had increased, but he never said whether that was good or bad.

In the south east maybe.

Where i live a bloke earning £300 per week would be able to buy a 3 bedroom house. I wish they'd draw a line from Norwich to Bournemouth and everything south of that line could have it's own set of housing stats and then the people north of the line would have stats that actually mean something.

He knows the score but is too scared to call it. Unfortunatly he really needs to tell the population that house prices will fall. It is the deluded sellers that is causing this stalemate

15% to 20% falls per year for 3 years is what we need. Not so much to create problems but enough to sort one of the biggest problems facing this country.