House Price Crash Forum

Homes Under The Hammer

What I particularly hate about Homes Under the Hammer, is the way they always tell you how much profit

could have been made by doing up & selling on the property or by renting, even when the people are actually

buying it to live in. Proving that it's all about ramping property prices.

Of course, they very rarely show anybody who actually buys a house to live in it, they focus mainly on property

developers & btl'ers. Actual home buyers appearing only as a tokenistic gesture.

They must vet all the auction winners after the sale to avoid wasting valuable time filming the 1000s of people

who actually want to live in the homes they buy.

It's all about making money though isn't it. It's shouting out to the general public "hey, look at the shed loads of dosh you can make property developing and renting out" It's promoting the get rick quick mantra. The opening titles feature piles of bank notes increasing in numbers with the faces on the notes smiling in joy egging us on to 'fill our boots' .

Who exactly is this programme targeted at? All the long term unemployed sitting at home watching these ever so clever property developers reel in thousands of pounds from little or no work. Is it meant to make them aspire to be one of the property developers or to make them feel like worthless, societal misfits undeserving of any of life's material riches? If they're not careful, this sort of programming with it's subliminal 'you're not worth it" messaging might eventually provoke a riot.........oh, err, hmm, too late.

Watching HUTH today. Absolute fookin peach!

The 1st house was bought by a couple in Cornwall..........anyways usual story they tarted it up a bIt and made a tv voiceover profit of £50K.

THe real story for me was the youngish couple with a ginger haired baby. They live in Navy quarters and they had "9....10 rental properties". She was still serving in the Royal Navy and he had left as he did want to be away from his daughter for 6 to 7 months at a time (thank the Lord that his type wasnt around during the Dunkirk Operations).

Is it possible to be housed by the military and own your own place let alone 9 or 10?

It's quite normal.

The forces require you to live within a certain distance of the base and move you around a lot with minimal notice.

If you don't buy a house elsewhere you end up in retirement with nowhere to live

tim

What I particularly hate about Homes Under the Hammer, is the way they always tell you how much profit

could have been made by doing up & selling on the property or by renting, even when the people are actually

buying it to live in. Proving that it's all about ramping property prices.

Of course, they very rarely show anybody who actually buys a house to live in it, they focus mainly on property

developers & btl'ers. Actual home buyers appearing only as a tokenistic gesture.

Actually they show quite a few, though not as many as developers/BTLers, it's true. .

They've also featured someone buying a house with a medieval water mill in the garden, purely because he wanted to restore and preserve the mill.

Also someone who bought a piece of woodland, just to enjoy.

And to be quite fair, I've seen the presenters evidently pleased when e.g. a lovely but very run-down old house, that could easily have gone to developers who'd have torn it down and built flats, has sold to someone wanting a family home, instead.

It's all about making money though isn't it. It's shouting out to the general public "hey, look at the shed loads of dosh you can make property developing and renting out" It's promoting the get rick quick mantra. The opening titles feature piles of bank notes increasing in numbers with the faces on the notes smiling in joy egging us on to 'fill our boots' .

Who exactly is this programme targeted at? All the long term unemployed sitting at home watching these ever so clever property developers reel in thousands of pounds from little or no work. Is it meant to make them aspire to be one of the property developers or to make them feel like worthless, societal misfits undeserving of any of life's material riches? If they're not careful, this sort of programming with it's subliminal 'you're not worth it" messaging might eventually provoke a riot.........oh, err, hmm, too late.

The sort of developers with their own teams of builders and a Ferrari outside, who merely write out cheques and rake it in, are not nearly as common as those who put huge amounts of their own sweat and sheer hard graft into it.

I do sometimes wonder whether some of those people who bitch about this programme would be prepared to do the sweaty, filthy, paint-spattered same for what is often a pretty modest profit after costs . Never mind taking the risk in the first place.

As for those who watch, I think a lot of people, me included, enjoy seeing total tips that you wouldn't put a dog into overnight, turned into something very nice.

OK, some of the punters are reptiles but most don't actually make me want to chuck a brick at the telly.

One thing that does grate is the way they always gloss over costs of borrowing - often over many months - plus legal and auction fees, not to mention EA fees if they do subsequently sell.

Edited by Mrs Bear

I would have a lot more respect for this show if at the end they provided one or two lines of text about what happened to each of the couples' investments featured in the programme.

Well, if you're of an evil bent, that's the fun bit - tracking it down on RM and finding that far from having 'sold' the next day for the AP, it's still on the market 18 months later with all the potential profit + 5% knocked off the price. ;)

Pretty much so. Renting is dead money, unless you have a property that you can't sell (or can only sell at a loss).

Also love the phrases like the "kitchen| bathroom| decoration are good enough for renting" laugh.gif

I hate when they say that. If I'm buying, I don't care about the state of the kitchen/bathroom/etc (as long as it's factored into the price) because I can change it to a design or style that I want. If I'm renting then I'm stuck with it so I'm going to care more about the detail.

It's quite normal.

The forces require you to live within a certain distance of the base and move you around a lot with minimal notice.

If you don't buy a house elsewhere you end up in retirement with nowhere to live

tim

Same goes for the Church - you live in the Rectory / Vicarage (no, NOT the lovely Georgian / Victorian one - that's occupied by Simon & Samantha from London - yours is a 60's 70s council estate lookalike) and you are expected to move out tof the area on retirement so as not to get under the new incumbent's feet. Given that clergy salaries and pensions are not particularly generous unless you are pretty high up in the hierarchy, a lot of clergyman have tried hard to make sure they maintain a BTL.

My F-I-L is about to retire and is having to throw himself on the mercy of the council's waiting lists - though in fairness, at 94 (!) they probably won't make him wait too long!