House Price Crash Forum

Homes Under The Hammer

Ash4781

HOLA441

Just watching homes under the hammer. A couple do up a place and the agents value it less than the auction price plus cost of works. This is with loads of free labour. Its ok because they will rent it out for twenty years ! Another couple buy a property on what looks like a council estate while developing their main home. The question is asked why they dont rent and the answer is dead money.

Any tips to get over flu?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Edit is the programme always like this?

Pretty much so. Renting is dead money, unless you have a property that you can't sell (or can only sell at a loss).

Also love the phrases like the "kitchen| bathroom| decoration are good enough for renting" laugh.gif

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Rest and try to eat and drink even if you don't feel like it. Nothing will make your immune system work any faster to clear the flu virus, but looking after yourself while you are waiting will mean you feel better more quickly at the other end.

HOLA447

Mrs RnR is a big fan of HUTH. This has lead her to the startling revelation that whenever there are no women involved in the renovation, the men will always choose black kitchen work surfaces.

I have seen some absolute belters on the show when it comes to making a loss. At least the producers show those. The best has to be the couple who bought a place in London in 2007 that was in need of serious work. They expected the price to double to 1.3 million by the time they had finished that and she was relishing the chance to show off her interior design skills (meaning putting twigs in vases) with the property when they put it to market to cash in. 18 months later, they'd done nothing because the prices were dropping and sold it for 150K less than they paid at auction. Hilarious.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Pretty much so. Renting is dead money,

Not when you're only renting for six months it isn't

The costs of buying and selling over such a short period must swamp any profit that you can reasonably expect to make.

Edit - No sometimes they make a profit!

tim

Edited by tim123

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Just watching homes under the hammer. A couple do up a place and the agents value it less than the auction price plus cost of works. This is with loads of free labour. Its ok because they will rent it out for twenty years ! Another couple buy a property on what looks like a council estate while developing their main home. The question is asked why they dont rent and the answer is dead money.

The older couple (twenty years!) did seem to have been doing it for a while so could probably sit back and rent the property out. The other couple was a bit odd though as they had just spent, if I remember rightly, £225,000 on buying the house and renovating it. They didn't however seem to have lived in it at all up to that point and the two kids got to play on a laminate flooring in an empty room.

Still...better than renting as Lucy said.

I also spotted the 'twigs sans vase' in the four flat rental property that the 'bank of Dad' was funding for the kid who was 'good at spreadsheets'!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The "renting is dead money" mantra is nonsense, you have to pay to put a roof over your head.

If you have a mortgage, you pay interest to the lender.

If you rent, you pay rent to a landlord.

If you own your house outright, you lose the interest that you would receive if the money were in the bank rather tied up in the house.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I saw HUTH this morning. I tend to switch off mentally when the Estate Agents come round to value the properties so I miss whether or not they have paid over the odds. :huh:

The first house in Bolsover looked great when refurb'd. I suspect the couple were willing to pay over the odds for it as it is close to their other rentals and family members.

Couldn't understand the mentality of the 2nd couple to buy that house 'and do up to live in while their main home is being renovated'. Doesn't seem sensible to tie up capital in a 2nd house to me, especially when taking into account fees and stamp duty. :rolleyes: Renovating 2 properties = 2 x the stress and expense. Surely renting a house for 6 months would have been more straightforward? Or where they just very rich? :unsure:

The HMO in Leeds. Well, I would have been tempted to turn it back into a 3 storey family home. :P With a view to incorporating the basement studio flat into the main home if or when the tenant was ready to move on. :) Some off road parkig at the property would have been a good idea too.

Re: HUTH in general - an insightful programme but the structure of the programme needs re-jigging to prevent repeating clips and the unnecessary filler. Could even make room to feature a 4th auction home.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

That second guy is going to be doing up two properties and starting his own business, as well as looking after his kids.

You know what happens when people spread themselves too thinly - something often breaks - be that a bankrupt business or botched renovation jobs with builders taking advantage :)

HOLA4418

Here in Austalia on pay TV we're getting the HUTH episodes where the punters are buying at auction in 07, by the time the presenters follow up it's sometimes well in to 08 and it's hilarious how the attitudes and smugness of some of the buyers has changed. There's also the other side of the coin where the battlers are trying to get a toehold and get their fingers, as well as toes, well and truly burnt. Same thing with some on the Sarah Beeny Property Ladder show, which are also around the 07/08 period. Watching both shows is great knowing whats around the corner, cringing for the battlers, (no don't do it, although some of them you can never protect from themselves) and loving it when the smart arses get stung.

• 6 months later...
HOLA4419

Watching HUTH today. Absolute fookin peach!

The 1st house was bought by a couple in Cornwall..........anyways usual story they tarted it up a bIt and made a tv voiceover profit of £50K.

THe real story for me was the youngish couple with a ginger haired baby. They live in Navy quarters and they had "9....10 rental properties". She was still serving in the Royal Navy and he had left as he did want to be away from his daughter for 6 to 7 months at a time (thank the Lord that his type wasnt around during the Dunkirk Operations).

Is it possible to be housed by the military and own your own place let alone 9 or 10?

Rock on Lucy and Martin!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Pretty much so. Renting is dead money, unless you have a property that you can't sell (or can only sell at a loss).

Also love the phrases like the "kitchen| bathroom| decoration are good enough for renting" laugh.gif

Sometimes there is sense in this though.

Recently saw one where LL did little but clean and tidy up - presenter asked why he hadn't replaced K&B and tarted up a lot more.

Reason, although not 'stylish' it was perfectly liveable and he liked to keep rents affordable so he'd get good tenants who would tend to want to stay a long time. Also said there were plenty of higher-spec properties in the area which didn't rent easily since they were too expensive for most local people.

The rent he was getting for the property was a fair bit lower than EAs valued it at, but he said he was happy with it and so were his (young couple) tenants.

He certainly made a change from some of them on HUTH.

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA4422

THe real story for me was the youngish couple with a ginger haired baby. They live in Navy quarters and they had "9....10 rental properties". She was still serving in the Royal Navy and he had left as he did want to be away from his daughter for 6 to 7 months at a time (thank the Lord that his type wasnt around during the Dunkirk Operations).

Is it possible to be housed by the military and own your own place let alone 9 or 10?

I have seen this before so switched off - Alas I have forgotten the details concerning this property and its developers. It doesn't seem right to be housed by the military (or other subsidised housing for that matter) and yet still own other houses to rent out privately.

Is a new series of HUTH forthcoming? :unsure:

HOLA4423

What I particularly hate about Homes Under the Hammer, is the way they always tell you how much profit

could have been made by doing up & selling on the property or by renting, even when the people are actually

buying it to live in. Proving that it's all about ramping property prices.

Of course, they very rarely show anybody who actually buys a house to live in it, they focus mainly on property

developers & btl'ers. Actual home buyers appearing only as a tokenistic gesture.

They must vet all the auction winners after the sale to avoid wasting valuable time filming the 1000s of people

who actually want to live in the homes they buy.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425