House Price Crash Forum
Timm

The Telegraph Gets It?

I will judge the coalition over what it does (or rather doesn't do) over house prices.

Its not looking good.

If they don't allow them to fall, then all the talk about "rebalancing" is just rubbish.

If the Government allowed house prices to fall rather than trying to artificially boost demand, it would go a good deal of the way towards helping first-time buyers and other "worthy" groups.

Can somebody leave this quote as a comment on the Grant Shapps website, if you havn't already left a comment. http://www.shapps.com/2011/01/welcome-to-the-new-shapps-com/#comment-152

I will judge the coalition over what it does (or rather doesn't do) over house prices.

Its not looking good.

If they don't allow them to fall, then all the talk about "rebalancing" is just rubbish.

And the acid test for this is will they kill SMI? Possibly the worst economic policy ever. Get people who cannot afford a home to pay for someone who definitely cant afford one to stay in a house at their expense.

And the acid test is showing an EPIC FAIL.

...but the coalition (or any government) doesn't control house prices - the market does.

Sure govs can add incentives and introduce delaying tactics but they are not in control.

If they were then Ireland's bubble wouldn't have been allowed to burst or the USA's or Japan's etc.

Like it or not this market will fall significantly regardless of what the Goverment wants.

...but the coalition (or any government) doesn't control house prices - the market does.

Sure govs can add incentives and introduce delaying tactics but they are not in control.

If they were then Ireland's bubble wouldn't have been allowed to burst or the USA's or Japan's etc.

Like it or not this market will fall significantly regardless of what the Goverment wants.

No im sure Gordon fancied a 20% fall and economic collapse 6 months before an election, he played for it

In fact thinking about it if HPCs are down to Govt, in Browns time as PM (head of Govt) of about 2 years, house prices fell nearly 20%, i dont think there is a primeminister in history who has a better record than that averaged over their term for HPC, rather than slating the poor guy he should be eulogised on here

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Good old Roger, he's almost one of us. But sadly in the minority of TPTB.

I always suspected him of being Realist Bear - predicting huge falls (that only seem to occur in some parallel universe just to the east of Brighton) and then turning bull just before the market crashes.

No im sure Gordon fancied a 20% fall and economic collapse 6 months before an election, he played for it

In fact thinking about it if HPCs are down to Govt, in Browns time as PM (head of Govt) of about 2 years, house prices fell nearly 20%, i dont think there is a primeminister in history who has a better record than that averaged over their term for HPC, rather than slating the poor guy he should be eulogised on here

He also managed to get the FTSE down to 3500 and allow people to make huge amounts of money riding it back up. The bloke is a misunderstood genius. I just wish he would come back and allow it all to happen again.

He also managed to get the FTSE down to 3500 and allow people to make huge amounts of money riding it back up. The bloke is a misunderstood genius. I just wish he would come back and allow it all to happen again.

dont worry, Osbourn will take it lower than that in the next couple of years without even trying