House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

South Yorkshire - Child Fares To Go Up 25%

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/pulic_transport_jobs_to_be_axed_and_child_fares_to_go_up_1_3050771

Public transport bosses in South Yorkshire have announced a “small number” of redundancies - and a 25 per cent increase in the cost of child fares.

South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive said it had lost a number of jobs through people leaving or retiring which were not being replaced and more redundancies were necessary.

The announcement was made as South Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority and Sheffield, Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham councillors who run SYPTE voted to raise child concessionary bus fares from 40p to 50p.

The SYITA meeting also passed a recommendation for further 10p rises in April 2012 and April 2013.

SYITA chairman Coun Mick Jameson said: “We are all under pressure to find savings. But we would say to people this is the first increase for many years. If child bus fares had gone up with inflation in those eight years they would be 60p rather than 40p.”

So essentially prices will now be in line with "what they should have cost".

Fantastic news.

I'm just relieved it's all contained.

Using this measure, we must have been experiencing hyperinflation in the 80s.

Child fares in Tyne & Wear went up from 5p to 10p overnight!!

Even worse in Sheffield it was 2p to 5p if memory is correct, if not it was even worse and went to 10p.

Who pays for the kids in London to have free travel?

In London travel is free up to the age of 11.

Then they have to have a what's called a Zip Card, which is like the adult Oyster Card. They can continue to travel for free on buses but it's 70p on the tube.

In London travel is free up to the age of 11.

Then they have to have a what's called a Zip Card, which is like the adult Oyster Card. They can continue to travel for free on buses but it's 70p on the tube.

So does that come out of council tax?

And why don't other councils do it?

I think it'd help as facilities get fewer and further away if kids could get to them free.

So does that come out of council tax?

And why don't other councils do it?

I think it'd help as facilities get fewer and further away if kids could get to them free.

I don't think anyone's paying for it. It depends on how you look at it.

There is a potential loss of revenue by letting kids go for free, of course, but is there really a direct cost?

I should have added that the Zip Card costs £10 to buy. That covers the admin costs, I suppose. It used to be free but London Transport got fed up with kids losing them all the time.

I don't think anyone's paying for it. It depends on how you look at it.

There is a potential loss of revenue by letting kids go for free, of course, but is there really a direct cost?

I should have added that the Zip Card costs £10 to buy. That covers the admin costs, I suppose. It used to be free but London Transport got fed up with kids losing them all the time.

Of course it's a loss - otherwise you could say the same about fare dodgers. For someone to travel free then either someone else has to pay more, or you get less ticket revenue, and that shortfall has to be made up somewhere (and it won't be from the wages of some overpaid waster near the top).

Of course it's a loss - otherwise you could say the same about fare dodgers. For someone to travel free then either someone else has to pay more, or you get less ticket revenue, and that shortfall has to be made up somewhere (and it won't be from the wages of some overpaid waster near the top).

Oyster Cards automatically max out anyway after 3 or 4 journeys; after that travel is free, no matter how many journeys are made that day, So we can all travel for free some of the time.

Fare dodging is probably quite difficult, you'd have to work pretty hard at it with the current system in place.

Oyster Cards automatically max out anyway after 3 or 4 journeys; after that travel is free, no matter how many journeys are made that day, So we can all travel for free some of the time.

Fare dodging is probably quite difficult, you'd have to work pretty hard at it with the current system in place.

I was thinking of public transport in general, where it's usually fairly easy to get on a train and avoid the guard (sometimes it's not even possible to buy a ticket if the stations are close enough and you get there before he comes around). The London Underground is a bit of a special case.

It's hardly traveling for 'free' after 3-4 journeys as you would have already paid at the very least £6 for zone 1 only (no offpeak).

Fare doging is possible, but really bike is so much nicer.

The system is probably subsidised by the Congestion Charge.

Oyster Cards: The most devious and efficient method yet devised to relieve Londoners of their cash, without them really knowing it.

Parking in my nearest town used to be free...then in 2008 it went to 50p. I guess thats INFINITE INFLATION.

Funny thing is it apparently costs more to administer the charges, maintain the machines and employ parking attendants than it brings in via charges.

And this is a tory council :blink:

What's free?

If you are under 18 and live in Barnsley you can get yourself a mi card, it allows you to;

• Travel around Barnsley for free on all local buses from 9am to 9pm on weekdays and all day at weekends
  • Your new mi card includes your MegaTravel card, which means you also get discounted journeys when you travel across South Yorkshire
  • Free swimming at Barnsley Premier Leisure swimming pools
  • Use of your local Barnsley Library.

If you are under 18 and live in Barnsley you can get yourself a mi card

Do they have a "mi and thee" card, so that a friend can travel for free too?

(South Yorkshire dialect humour alert.)

Heh, on trains its relatively easy to fare dodge if you're travelling out in the sticks (eg Surrey), usually no barriers and very rare to have ticket checks on stopping services.

As for kids, as I understand it up to 16 is free on buses and 50% off other fares in TFL zoned transport. If they remain in education post 16, just the 50% discount rate (which also applies in some cases to adult student schemes and "New Deal" clients).

Edited by HPC001