House Price Crash Forum
swissy_fit

Gatwick Area - Best Towns?

Considering a move to the UK for about 4 years, it needs to be somewhere close to Gatwick which is the best airport for Geneva.

Preferably with a good rail link to London as well.

I was considering Bristol as it's nearer family but Easyjet are cutting the service to there.

Need a 3 or 4 bed, a creche for a 2yo, a decent school for a 13yo.

Looking at a map, Horley looks an obvious choice, but I've heard it''s rough and poor. Crawley similar, this would probably present a schooling issue for the 13yo.

Can anyone suggest a town that will provide all the above at a reasonable price? Reigate seemed OK a few years back, but looks pretty pricey.

No. What's wrong with Geneva?

Considering a move to the UK for about 4 years, it needs to be somewhere close to Gatwick which is the best airport for Geneva.

Preferably with a good rail link to London as well.

I was considering Bristol as it's nearer family but Easyjet are cutting the service to there.

Need a 3 or 4 bed, a creche for a 2yo, a decent school for a 13yo.

Looking at a map, Horley looks an obvious choice, but I've heard it''s rough and poor. Crawley similar, this would probably present a schooling issue for the 13yo.

Can anyone suggest a town that will provide all the above at a reasonable price? Reigate seemed OK a few years back, but looks pretty pricey.

Best town for Gatwick is Reigate

You can easily avoid the M25 M23 if there are problems on the motorway (inevitable)

£10 in a taxi (including the tip) - Belfry cars - so you can avoid car park fees (extortionate!)

Fast train link into London from Redhill (fairly reliable)

Easy access to M25

Full of yummy mummys

Good curry house - Clove

What more can you ask for?

Perhaps a key question is how often you'd want to go to London by train. If it's a lot, then I would suggest Haywards Heath is better than Reigate.

Haywards Heath has one of the principal stations on the Brighton Main Line so there are huge numbers of trains to London (many more than from Reigate, and it takes roughly the same time). Also there are huge numbers of trains to Gatwick (journey time just 15 minutes).

No idea about schools there I'm afraid.

Edited by SE20

Crawley has ok parts and quickest to gatwick, maidenbower, worth, poundhill are fine and they have relatively good schools , oriel and Hazelwick. Also quick jump on at three bridges rail one stop to gatwick.

Horley is ok housing wise but facilities are poor.

Haywards Heath , nicer than Crawley just a little further from gatwick but no big deal.

Horsham , good town and good secondary school for girls. slightly longer to gatwick but still not far. Would possibly be my choice but I think it's a little mote expensive in comparison.

Edited by D179

Godstone, East Grinstead or Horsham!

Definitely prefer Horsham of the three.

Otherwise, yes Reigate is good, my old patch - but do avoid Redhill, which is unfortunately pretty much merged with Reigate.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Definitely prefer Horsham of the three.

Otherwise, yes Reigate is good, my old patch - but do avoid Redhill, which is unfortunately pretty much merged with Reigate.

I cannot understand this snobbishness about Reigate. There is nothing to see or do here apart from a dog eared High Street which middle class couples push babies up and down until they get bored and go to Redhill to get everything done. And it's a nightmare getting a school place.

Redhill is looked down upon because there used to be a mental institution there, a blind school, and the frigging idiots moving down from London cannot in their heart of hearts understand why they spent twice as much to live on the same street half a mile to the West.

It was all the same swampy field 100 years ago.

I cannot understand this snobbishness about Reigate. There is nothing to see or do here apart from a dog eared High Street which middle class couples push babies up and down until they get bored and go to Redhill to get everything done. And it's a nightmare getting a school place.

Redhill is looked down upon because there used to be a mental institution there, a blind school, and the frigging idiots moving down from London cannot in their heart of hearts understand why they spent twice as much to live on the same street half a mile to the West.

It was all the same swampy field 100 years ago.

You make a reasonable point. However you seem to be operating some reverse snobbery on the benefit of Redhill.

You are just swapping middle class nappyville in Reigate for a type of benefit class nappyville in Redhill. Horses for courses.

Reigate high street is not really dog eared and many people love the independent nature of the shops.

The council are trying to redevelop Redhill centre as it has no 'anchor' store(s).

Frankly I doubt many people from Reigate go to Redhill to 'get everything done'.

Lastly, everything was a swampy field at some point, what has that got to do with where people choose to live?

Edited by euroscooby

You make a reasonable point. However you seem to be operating some reverse snobbery on the benefit of Redhill.

You are just swapping middle class nappyville in Reigate for a type of benefit class nappyville in Redhill. Horses for courses.

Reigate high street is not really dog eared and many people love the independent nature of the shops.

The council are trying to redevelop Redhill centre as it has no 'anchor' store(s).

Frankly I doubt many people from Reigate go to Redhill to 'get everything done'.

Lastly, everything was a swampy field at some point, what has that got to do with where people choose to live?

Raise your eyes above the first floor of the wonderfully independent Starbucks, Cafe Nero, Pizza Express etc and you will see evidence of boomtime window dressing of a delapidated market town.

The reason the great unwashed head to Redhill is because that is where the market is, the fast food joints and the mainline train station. It doesn't mean that they live there.

The most deprived partsof the borough are South Park and Woodhatch where you will find a third shopping centre where all the real thriving independent shops are, not the tax write off hobby horse selling muck and tat to the tourists.

Raise your eyes above the first floor of the wonderfully independent Starbucks, Cafe Nero, Pizza Express etc and you will see evidence of boomtime window dressing of a delapidated market town.

The reason the great unwashed head to Redhill is because that is where the market is, the fast food joints and the mainline train station. It doesn't mean that they live there.

The most deprived partsof the borough are South Park and Woodhatch where you will find a third shopping centre where all the real thriving independent shops are, not the tax write off hobby horse selling muck and tat to the tourists.

Well Guilly, I am not claiming the whole high street is independent. My point was and is there are plenty of independent shops and cafes. Calling it delapidated surprises me.

The initial question was best towns in the Gatwick area. This is always subjective.

Reigate is rather nice, with Dorking not a million miles away to the east, what's best are two pubs, the Dolphin pub in Betchworth and the Skimmington Castle just to the west of Reigate. I lived in Godstone, well just outside in a lovely lane, but not much goes on in the local villages. Redhill is indeed a dump and so is Merstham. I have to agree with another post, Brighton is well worth considering...parking aside.

I would favour Merstham & Redhill over Brighton any day. Brighton cannot cope with the influx of tourists, stag & hen parties etcetc and as a result is a dirty un"kemp"t town (hope you get the pun!)

Reigate lovely town centre, but very expensive & not ideal to commute from - train links are essentially a branch line which runs to redhill. also "independant" shops generally means overpriced...

Redhill is ok - much better than suggested on this thread.

Merstham is a village - there is little there. There are some very nice properties & private roads in Merstham, so again take what has been discussed here with pinch of salt. also, a fantastic (public, but spaces are available to state educated) school in the catchment area.

Horley is like a ghost town these days - high street is essentially a load of charity shops & not much else.

Horsham, lovely - my home town so very biased! extremely overpriced, but I believe this is down to lack of any serious development in the past 10 years. There was some talk of building 500 homes in Southwater, but was defeated by the NIMBY brigade.