House Price Crash Forum

10,000 Police Posts To "disappear"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find the war on drugs is going very well indeed, just not in the way you think ;)

Well yeah, seems to be keeping a fair few in jobs.

I'm not so sure. I think things may change in the 5-10 year timescale.

The problem is that middle england don't want it to happen, and they are the ones who generally vote. I don't think any of the current political parties have the nerve to do this, but possibly in the future?

+1

One of the best posts I've read on here. Agree with every word.

The so called "war on drugs" is one of the single biggest, laughable failures in human history. What impact has it had on drug use? I would have said minimal to nil. Whats the cost? Millions of lives ruined, many people who are not criminals being criminalised, probable increase in crime, funding of terrorism and other hostile activities. Not to mention the many multiples of billions of dollars wasted globally on this.

The thing I really dislike is the fact that the majority of drug users (in the UK at least) are recreational users, the majority of whom are not criminally minded (many are well educated, hold down good jobs and even set up families). The issue is that these people are facing potentially a criminal record (and the problems this bring including denial for jobs, immigration issues etc.) for what in most cases should be down to personal choice.

In 9999/10000 cases, the criminal proceedings for such a person will have a considerably greater negative impact than the effects of the drug use itself. Addicts to Heroin/Crack etc need support to come off of these substances, rather than being criminalised (which leads to a negative downward spiral anyway).

The bad joke that is the war on drugs needs to end.

this is one of the reasons they don't want drugs legalized

See that 64% of Sun voters, and I saw a similar vote in the daily mail of 69%(!) of votes for legalising some or all illegal drugs, does make me wonder whether things may be starting to change w.r.t. the war on drugs.

That said, the media craze which lead to the ban of Mephedrone* was appaling, likely the media will have a role in standing in the way of reasonable debate.

I see also that the UK is looking at "blanket banning" of legal highs - yeah thats going to end well, with increased useage of illegal drugs. Some things are just not well thought through by the government.

* Though there were some idiosyncratic reactions with Mephedrone, there is no evidence that it is a particularly dangerous substance, and likely way safer than high dose alcohol.

Edited by clubberdude