House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

House My Grandparents Used To Live In For Sale

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27795778.html

We sold it for about £25k IIRC-- late 1970's. I was thinking the other day "I wonder what houses are going for in Broadstairs where I lived during the golden childhood days." Then I came accross my grandparents old gaff and I had been thinking it must be worth about £170-£190k today as it was always a bit dillapidated but in a wonderful location. The price they are asking was a bit of a shock.

Edited by Realistbear

Viking Bay, we scattered my Dad's ashes there a few years ago because he loved visiting Broadstairs.

Moved there when I was about 4. Lived on the beach in the summer. Need to go back and wallow in nostalgia.

£600k for my grandparents old and small mid terrace is a bit rich. You can go Oceanfront in Southern California for a bit more than that.

Here is an equivalent price-wise property in Tampa Bay--a nice part of FL for less money:

http://www.coldwellbanker.com/property?action=list&freeTextAddress=Tampa,+FL&countryId=1&minPrice=1000000&maxPrice=1200000#modalDetail

6323 MACLAURIN DR- View on map

$1,000,000

Prices are obscene in this country. My Grandparents old house was dilapidated when they lived in it and it looks just as bad today!

Edited by Realistbear

[[http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25474801.html?premiumA=true]]

This is next door but one to my grandparents house, not huge but i remember loving the garden as a child.

My nan never worked a day in her life and my grandpa ran a laundry, the poor bugger was made redundant at least three times and they downsized each time. Not bad to end up with mortgage free though eh ?

[[http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25474801.html?premiumA=true]]

This is next door but one to my grandparents house, not huge but i remember loving the garden as a child.

My nan never worked a day in her life and my grandpa ran a laundry, the poor bugger was made redundant at least three times and they downsized each time. Not bad to end up with mortgage free though eh ?

Didn't realise houses were so expensive on Walsall Road. Although some are a decent size I suppose.

We sold it for about £25k IIRC-- late 1970's.

When you were at that time a speculator out to make a few bob. £20k was a much fairer price for that type of house in Broadstairs at the time. ;)

BTW in the late 70s silly prices were asked for properties in general. :rolleyes:

We sold it for about £25k IIRC-- late 1970's. I was thinking the other day "I wonder what houses are going for in Broadstairs where I lived during the golden childhood days." Then I came accross my grandparents old gaff and I had been thinking it must be worth about £170-£190k today as it was always a bit dillapidated but in a wonderful location. The price they are asking was a bit of a shock.

Average annual salary in 1977 = £68.70 x 52 = £3572 (source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/jun/02/jubilee.monarchy4 )

Average annual salary in 2011 = £25,000

Your grandparents house divided by average wage in 1977 = 25000/3572 = 6.99 (ok, this is high, but it is a decent property and on two wages it is still 3.5x)

Your grandparents house divided by average wage in 2011 = 60000/25000 = 24!!!

The idea that the moderate population growth we have experienced since 1977, coupled with a slow down in house building over the years, justifies this increase is fallacy. It is nothing but outright banking corruption.

F8CKING HPI :angry:

Edited by General Congreve

Just checked out the semi that belonged to Mum's Father and Stepmother in South Oak Lane,Wilmslow.It sold for £180,000 in March 2005.The front door opened straight into the living room,and the back door into the kitchen.There was a small bathroom(bath and basin)off the kitchen,and a loo off the bathroom.A lethally steep set of stairs off the kitchen led to 2 bedrooms.Smallish garden at back,and smaller front garden.Grandad was a manual worker of some sort,and grandma worked part-time in a laundry.

Nice house, incredible views, so price doesn't altogether surprise me. Do hope you're not tormented with 'if only', though.

My grandmother and aunt both had small, inconvenient 1920s bungalows in vast rambling gardens, down an unmade road in what is now an expensive commuter-belt bit of Herts. In mid-70s they both sold up to developers - don't think anybody else was offering then - and moved to a convenient new house a mile down the road. Which sold for about £300K a couple of years ago when the aunt had to go into a home.

There are now about 6 x £400K+ houses on the site of one of the bungalows, and at least 8 on the other.

C'est la vie. My aunt's garden had vast carpets of primroses in the spring, though, and I still feel sad about those.

Not my actual grannies but a few doors down - Grandad was a carpenter, nana never worked. This was a council house that passed back on her death.

You lot are lucky to have had houses like that to play in. Posh boys :P

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/11449087?utm_source=nest&utm_medium=feeds&utm_content=11449087&refer=nest11449087

Edited by CHF

Average annual salary in 1977 = £68.70 x 52 = £3572 (source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/jun/02/jubilee.monarchy4 )

Average annual salary in 2011 = £25,000

Your grandparents house divided by average wage in 1977 = 25000/3572 = 6.99 (ok, this is high, but it is a decent property and on two wages it is still 3.5x)

Your grandparents house divided by average wage in 2011 = 60000/25000 = 24!!!

The idea that the moderate population growth we have experienced since 1977, coupled with a slow down in house building over the years, justifies this increase is fallacy. It is nothing but outright banking corruption.

F8CKING HPI :angry:

Incredible.

They could probably make 4 shoebox flats out of it to get it back down under x7 times earnings. Although with conversion costs, even thats doubtful.

Living in the UK has become like entering some sort of dystopian future world movie set, AKA Logans Run, Equilibrium, 1984, et al......

Edited by Dan1

143163705_1.jpg

Always nice to put a face to a link.

Good job--what a contrast between my gran's old mid terrace and this--and the FL property is actually less money!

The housing market in this country is so sick -- so very sick. :(

Looks like a very nice property and could be wonderful with sympathetic updating.

Cannot comment on the asking price but £190,000 doesn't seem too outrageous.

In the late 1970's there wasn't much money around. My school fees were just over £3000 per term and before Maggie was in power the tax for high earners was horrendous.

Plus ca change

Living in the UK has become like entering some sort of dystopian future world movie set, AKA Logans Run, Equilibrium, 1984, et al......

You mean Jenny Agutter is running around naked again?

The house I grew up in is for sale at the moment for a bit over 300,000 pounds; I believe my parents paid about 1,500 for it in the mid 60s. That's probably 20x a typical income in the town, whereas my father bought it on his salary as a factory worker.

Moved there when I was about 4. Lived on the beach in the summer. Need to go back and wallow in nostalgia.

now would be the right time to get a good wallowing in the old house.

on the house though is that knackered looking range the extent of the fitted kitchen? 600 grand :lol: world gone mad

surely you do your nan an injustice. Or did she have a live in maid or something?

RB,

have you failed to notice the strategic use of TWIGS IN A VASE in picture 11.

and the failure to sell since September 2010.

Also quite a few 4 bed rentals, considerably more modern for asking rent of £1100...probably settle for £900. giving one a very nice yield of 2% Gross.

And 140 of at least 4 bed properties, with long long property bee histories with reductions, failed SSTCS, I think that place is one hell of an overpriced, finger in the air, asking price.

Edited by Bloo Loo