House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamo Sound Dock Repair

We have a Jamo i300 iPod sound dock which is knackered because the iPod connector came off. Also have a Bose one with a damaged connector and can get parts no problem. Can't find parts of the Jamo one though - does anyone know where they can be obtained?

Might help...

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1913144-jamo_i300_docking_cradle_broken

I've experienced exactly the same problem but by my 1 year old. I have tracked down the Jamo repair centre in the UK - Tele Fringe. Contact them at sales@telefringe.co.uk - They have just advised me that a new i-cradle for the i300 is £72.

Other thought -- if the ipod connector bit has broken you only need to find an ipod style connector to repair it with - would have thought there cannot be that many styles and they wouldn't have designed ther own "special", if it is a PCB mounted connector there won't be that many variations.

Edit - take a photo of it (case open preferably) and we'll have more to go on.

Might help...

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1913144-jamo_i300_docking_cradle_broken

I've experienced exactly the same problem but by my 1 year old. I have tracked down the Jamo repair centre in the UK - Tele Fringe. Contact them at sales@telefringe.co.uk - They have just advised me that a new i-cradle for the i300 is £72.

Other thought -- if the ipod connector bit has broken you only need to find an ipod style connector to repair it with - would have thought there cannot be that many styles and they wouldn't have designed ther own "special", if it is a PCB mounted connector there won't be that many variations.

Edit - take a photo of it (case open preferably) and we'll have more to go on.

Yes, I found where to get another connector but assume you need serious electronic skills to solder it to the board. I can solder wires and suchlike but haven't the faintest clue how to go about soldering something like that.

I have to say that I think that the design of the connector is total sh1t. It doesn't seem too big a task to make it a lot les prone to damage - like designing the holder to that the iPod doesn't flex when it's docked!!

Yes, I found where to get another connector but assume you need serious electronic skills to solder it to the board. I can solder wires and suchlike but haven't the faintest clue how to go about soldering something like that.

I have to say that I think that the design of the connector is total sh1t. It doesn't seem too big a task to make it a lot les prone to damage - like designing the holder to that the iPod doesn't flex when it's docked!!

Desoldering without damaging the pads is the real trick. Solder paste and hot air, drag soldering or fine tip will all solder it. Is the assembly similar to the Bose one - small daughter board with a PCB connector?

Desoldering without damaging the pads is the real trick. Solder paste and hot air, drag soldering or fine tip will all solder it. Is the assembly similar to the Bose one - small daughter board with a PCB connector?

Way above my head that - I can see the theory but still can't get my head round being able to solder such tiny connections by hand. I assumed it could only be done with some special machine or something.

Yes, it appears to be similar to the Bose one. I haven't opened it yet but the dock bit is actially separate from the rest and is connected to the speakers with a cable. All the controls are in the small dock bit. Pic in the link.

Jamo Sound Dock

You sir are an economic terrorist. Report to love camp 357 in the next 24 hours.

You are supposed to repeatedly buy new ones which break faster each time you buy them. Eventually leading to the pinacle of corruptism. Whereby it breaks the moment you have paid for it. Necessitating an expensive replacement.

Way above my head that - I can see the theory but still can't get my head round being able to solder such tiny connections by hand. I assumed it could only be done with some special machine or something.

don't use a soldering iron, use one of those instant solder guns. Also use paper lots of paper and desoldering tape. Use old solder too the leaded type. You can solder on tiny things. Have a look on EEPC 901 forums how people solder on ZIF connectors onto the mobos the connectors are about about .5 of a mm.

You sir are an economic terrorist. Report to love camp 357 in the next 24 hours.

You are supposed to repeatedly buy new ones which break faster each time you buy them. Eventually leading to the pinacle of corruptism. Whereby it breaks the moment you have paid for it. Necessitating an expensive replacement.

You are very right my good man. I shall modify my behavior forthwith by having a trip to Currys and smashing up all their audio equipment before hurling a great wodge of readies at the pimply type who will be chatting to his mate rather than doing any work.