House Price Crash Forum

M Ps Favourite Shop John Lewis Sees 2Nd Week In A Row Of Falling Sales

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/04/john-lewis-sales-drop-second-week

John Lewis sales drop for second weekConcerns over prospects for consumer spending as John Lewis warns this year will be 'even more testing' than last
John Lewis warned of a tougher year ahead as it reported the second consecutive drop in weekly sales, heightening concerns over the prospects for consumer spending.

Consumer spending falls and jobs will be lost. Double dip looks likely.

HOLA442

I've never viewed the double dip as anything other that a dead on certainty since we should have never left the recession until we'd actually had a recession. So far the UK as done a very good job of keeping the plates spinning but we cannot have our cake and eat it.

Living cost (house prices) are too high in the UK for us to effectively compete in the global economy so either house prices fall or the value of our money falls. Take your pick, TPTB will always opt for the latter as they can hoodwink the Sheeple with it more effectively.

Remember, petrol is now at record highs because oil is at record highs, honest guv. Oil is actually 35% cheaper than it was the last time petrol was at record highs, but lets forgot that as we'd have to admit Sterling as lost 35% of its buying power and that would be unpalatable.

Before much longer Cameron will be a bigger joke than Obama.

HOLA443

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/04/john-lewis-sales-drop-second-week

John Lewis sales drop for second weekConcerns over prospects for consumer spending as John Lewis warns this year will be 'even more testing' than last
John Lewis warned of a tougher year ahead as it reported the second consecutive drop in weekly sales, heightening concerns over the prospects for consumer spending.

The y/y figures are massively distorted due to the weather in this period last year. No surprise sales are falling y/y in some weeks and 45% up in others.Consumer spending probably will fall though. I don't think anyone is expecting consumer spending to be a real economic driver going forward.

Lending is falling and consumption will fall. With so much debt this is inevitable. Production needs to fill the gap, there is no alternative.

HOLA444

The y/y figures are massively distorted due to the weather in this period last year. No surprise sales are falling y/y in some weeks and 45% up in others.Consumer spending probably will fall though. I don't think anyone is expecting consumer spending to be a real economic driver going forward.

Lending is falling and consumption will fall. With so much debt this is inevitable. Production needs to fill the gap, there is no alternative.

The snow was in early January last year.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Christmas is over...now the bills require paying........people can't keep spending, they don't have bottomless pockets, well some might, but I don't know where they shop Harrods maybe. :unsure:

The German Bros are up 10%--Aldi and Lidl. Started going there myself and am finding it good value--their £4.49 Gran Reserva Rioja is outstanding! McVities are £1 a pack---£1.40 at Tesco where I used to shop. Lidl are also 5 miles from where I live whereas Tesco was 10.

HOLA447

The German Bros are up 10%--Aldi and Lidl. Started going there myself and am finding it good value--their £4.49 Gran Reserva Rioja is outstanding! McVities are £1 a pack---£1.40 at Tesco where I used to shop. Lidl are also 5 miles from where I live whereas Tesco was 10.

I mentioned Iceland and Farmfoods on the other thread - if you have them near and haven't tried them they are worth a look. They do a lot more than just freezer stuff. I was in an Iceland midweek and it was very busy - just around the corner from a Sainsburys.

HOLA448

...when times are harder people are not interested in buying brands...they want quality and price...quality on its own only the few will pay for........Loyalty flies out of the window...nothing good ever stays the same forever...no goods price will stay the same forever.....needs must...the need must be to shop around choose wisely and move often. ;)

HOLA449

I've never viewed the double dip as anything other that a dead on certainty since we should have never left the recession until we'd actually had a recession. So far the UK as done a very good job of keeping the plates spinning but we cannot have our cake and eat it.

Living cost (house prices) are too high in the UK for us to effectively compete in the global economy so either house prices fall or the value of our money falls. Take your pick, TPTB will always opt for the latter as they can hoodwink the Sheeple with it more effectively.

Remember, petrol is now at record highs because oil is at record highs, honest guv. Oil is actually 35% cheaper than it was the last time petrol was at record highs, but lets forgot that as we'd have to admit Sterling as lost 35% of its buying power and that would be unpalatable.

Before much longer Cameron will be a bigger joke than Obama.

Not really Cameron's fault though is it. Gordon The Moron and his sidekick Ed Ballsup should be shot for what they did to the country.