House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

Time To Sow The Parsley!

As the topic says, today is a great day to plant 10-15 pots of parsley -- start them in small peat pots in a plastic propagator on the windowsill and transfer them into 1-2l pots to the outside when they have grown on.

Other herbs you can sow indoors now are Chervil and Coriander.

Happy gardening!

As the topic says, today is a great day to plant 10-15 pots of parsley -- start them in small peat pots in a plastic propagator on the windowsill and transfer them into 1-2l pots to the outside when they have grown on.

Happy gardening!

Despite all the snow, I've still got quite a bit of parsley in a tub under the kitchen window. Picked a handful only the other day.

Grew it on from one of the growing pots you buy in the supermarket - split it into six or so and planted out.

Doesn't parsley take ages to germinate? Never tried growing from seed.

Happy gardening!

Planted herb seeds in old cardboard egg cartons filled with compost...they are sitting in old drawers taken from an old chest of drawers lined with plastic sitting on a paste table near a window....the first to poke its head up is the borage..... ;)

Happy gardening!

I think the country is close to reaping waht it has sown, very soon!

Doesn't parsley take ages to germinate? Never tried growing from seed.

Can take 2-3 weeks, which is why I tend to sow mine at this time of the year. You get a better plant that way since it has a stronger start when it's on it's own and doesn't need to compete for root space, and also you can grow different cultivars, for example, Hamburg Parsley, which is grown for it's fleshy root as it's delicious as a soup vegetable and that is never sold in the supermarkets anyway.

Apropos root space wars: as a fun project I planted a pot with Aloe vera, Money tree and Cheeseplant babies -- all three are virtually unkillable normally. The Cheeseplant rotted the roots of it's pot companions within 2 month. Scary, evil triffids! :)

What herbs do you use regularly?

I use a lot of mint ...

I rarely use chives but they look nice and the bees like them. (Have got loads of seeds)

Basil I grew and used last year which was very yummy... so want more of that...

I could probably do with some thyme and oregano and sage in the garden...

Tried coriander but it goes to seed very quickly...

Not a herb but quite interesting and easy to grow - rats tail radishes. Should have put the seed pods in the greenhouse by now to dry out I think but I'm sure I'll have enough seeds from last years to regrow.

I use a lot of mint ...

I rarely use chives but they look nice and the bees like them. (Have got loads of seeds)

Not a herb but quite interesting and easy to grow - rats tail radishes. Should have put the seed pods in the greenhouse by now to dry out I think but I'm sure I'll have enough seeds from last years to regrow.

Mint is good but it needs to be contained, it spreads very easily...basil likes heat, you can buy a pot from the supermarket....when you do that always re-pot it, it lasts so much longer, like anything the more you pick it and use it the more it will grow, keep it on a window sill.

Sage and oregano are easy to keep so is rosemary, hardy plants...you can keep in pots or plant on a south facing side amongst other plants, they are good at keeping weeds at bay...bay is another plant to keep...pop out and pick a bay leaf, another easy plant.

Apart form parsley, tarragon is one of my favorite herbs, it is not so hardy as the others, I only hope I have not lost mine this year, it has reappeared for the last 3 years....the parsley also has made a comeback, maybe it reseeded itself?

Chives are good but you have to keep cutting them or they can get tough...very good chopped up in an omelet.

Coriander is another favorite herb, like parsley it freezes well.

A good plant to grow is perpetual spinach, like chard you can keep cutting and using it and it keeps producing more and more...lasts all season. ;)

I use a lot of mint ...

My herbs: french Tarragon(don't bother with the Russian, unless you like Eau de Cologne), lemon thyme, thyme, mint, majoram(pot and regular), lovage, parsely, fenugreek, lemon basil, bush basil, thai basil, oregano, dill, chervil, caraway, fennel(I have an epic one in a 30l bucket that ends up being a 1.80m helipad for hoverflies, and it also does not tolerate pot mates... not even garlic survives, lol, so I put pots of smaller herb atop of the soil on a tray to prevent them from growing down and getting murdered), chinese celery, rosemary, chamomile, carrots(Amsterdam Forcing is best for pots), and garlic that gets 'old' and is stuffed into odd pots. It's nice to eat young too.

My favorite of all the herbs is Thai Basil. Be sure to buy the right type, not the holy ones. This one is magic as it's almost impossible to buy fresh(and when you get it already is old...), the taste is totally addictive and your guests will go crazy over this :)

With Sage I don't have so much luck, it keeps getting a fungus but I keep trying. So far I have to use dried for cooking :)

Coriander has to be kept slightly shady and not too warm, just keep sowing lots, but it does grow best in spring and autumn. However, the fresh, juicy seeds are delicious to eat, so don't be put off from growing coriander midsummer. Btw, the seeds that are sold in the Indian spice packs (Rajah for example) work as well that the small packets that cost 3x as much from the nursery. (this also applies to fenugreek)

Other things I grow are mixed salads, spinach, scallions and Pak Choi.

I grow everything in pots and don't use anything smaller than 2l and respect the soil requirements for what I grow, ever since I was given that tip, my herb garden is working great and almost no work after the initial set-up.

Planted herb seeds in old cardboard egg cartons filled with compost...they are sitting in old drawers taken from an old chest of drawers lined with plastic sitting on a paste table near a window....the first to poke its head up is the borage..... ;)

What to do with Borage?

What to do with Borage?

The flowers they float in a glass of pimms.......it is one of those partner type plants that are good for growing near other plants such as tomatoes...it is a pretty plant butterfly like, taller than most other herbs and the flowers are a vibrant blue star shape. ;)

Do I see the opportunity to have a HPC gardening competition? :)

How about most best utilisation of space? eg Who can get the most out of their balacony space or postage stamp sized garden.

How about most valuable crop grown?

Best container recycling examples?

Any other thoughts or comments?

no - otherwise it will turn into a twigs in vases competition.....

Mint is good but it needs to be contained, it spreads very easily...basil likes heat, you can buy a pot from the supermarket....when you do that always re-pot it, it lasts so much longer, like anything the more you pick it and use it the more it will grow, keep it on a window sill.

Sage and oregano are easy to keep so is rosemary, hardy plants...you can keep in pots or plant on a south facing side amongst other plants, they are good at keeping weeds at bay...bay is another plant to keep...pop out and pick a bay leaf, another easy plant.

Apart form parsley, tarragon is one of my favorite herbs, it is not so hardy as the others, I only hope I have not lost mine this year, it has reappeared for the last 3 years....the parsley also has made a comeback, maybe it reseeded itself?

Chives are good but you have to keep cutting them or they can get tough...very good chopped up in an omelet.

Coriander is another favorite herb, like parsley it freezes well.

A good plant to grow is perpetual spinach, like chard you can keep cutting and using it and it keeps producing more and more...lasts all season. ;)

You're making me wish I had more space... :(

Have to grow everything in pots, and there isn't enough sunny space for all I want. Usually have to make do with a couple of tomato plants, maybe one big tub of French beans, parsley, mint and chives. (Use a lot in potato salads in summer.) Oh, and rocket - grows like a weed here and we like it. I'm plagued with slugs here and the slugs don' t like it, which is another +.

Might try some perpetual spinach in a tub - if it's not a favourite slug's breakfast. Anyone know?

Packet of parsley seeds.

B&Q £1.69 or £1.49, can't remember which as I don't have a receipt for them, because I didn't buy them.

Lidl 29p a packet.

Might try some perpetual spinach in a tub - if it's not a favourite slug's breakfast. Anyone know?

Doesn't seem to be. I've had some in a tub for a few years and not noticed any slug problems with it.