House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

When Will The Coalition Fall ?

The coalition is taking some stick now the cuts are under-way.

The Lib-dems dont look happy.

The Torries don't look happy.

The whole country doesn't look happy.

(Richard) Ed Milliband look's happy probably busy doing his rubiks cube of an evening and unaware of the problems his party has cause the country.

So how long can it last. Will we see if crumble this year ?

Can it go the distance.

I think not. we will end up with a Minority government at some point that will soldier on, for a while.

When it crumbles, what will that mean for the banks/economy and house prices ?

I don't think they will be around by Crimbo of this year. They are losing support fast because of the bankster issue and horrendous policies like selling of the Forests.

I shall not vote for them next time like I did last time--and regret not voting UKIP.

I wrote to VInce months before the election and told him he ought to form a Koalishon with the Tories on the understanding that he was Chancellor. He said he was the victim of ageism and would not be in a leadership role in the Libdems. Year ago, I tried to convince David Owen to "go for it" but he said he couldn't bring himself to serve under Maggie--both he and Vince had experience outside poltiics and the guts to stand up for what they believe even if sufferng the consequences of their radical ideas and statements.

Vince is worthy of saintyhood now that he cracked the joke about not swerving to miss a Bankster caught walking down the motorway.

Edited by Realistbear

The harebrained scheme of flogging our forests for a packet of bo****cks was originally a Labour plan and the Tory proposition is actually an improvement.

I'll be voting Green Party next time, f**k the main three main parties upwards, sidewides, and in their eye sockets.

Edited by Big Orange

It'a tough one to call.I think that Dave's capitulation in Oldham East shored up Clegg's position for now.The real crunch will come in the May elections.If the LD's get wiped out across the country then The Cleggster has only one choice:March with the band in front.

It'a tough one to call.I think that Dave's capitulation in Oldham East shored up Clegg's position for now.The real crunch will come in the May elections.If the LD's get wiped out across the country then The Cleggster has only one choice:March with the band in front.

+1 they'll go until the end

I think it will depend on the result of any referendum on changes to the voting system.

Is a referendum still planned? It seems to have gone very quiet on that front. If so have we any idea what the question will be?

If we don't have a referendum I can't see the LibDems supporting the coalition much longer - what's in it for them?

If we do have referendum and the LibDems don't get a result they're happy with, again I can't see them supporting the coalition.

If they do get a result they're happy with - might they force an election to try out the new system?

Then there's the economy.

That's a lot of "what ifs"

I suspect that the NHS reforms is going to do some very severe damage to the Conservatives and Lib Dems. Also, many middle class families are going to resent them also for the tripling of student fees .... they really are playing dangerous games and it could, as others are suggesting all go belly up for them very rapidly.

Surely the damage is already done? People hate them already, voters arent suddenly going to forgive them, only liebour voters are stupid enough to do that.

I think theyll see it through to the end given its lose/lose either way.

The Tories and Lib Dems are both unpopular at the moment so another general election would only bring less seats for both of their parties. Therefore, they are stuck with each other as the coalition cannot collapse without eventually leading to another GE.

Little short of a revolution and everyone taking to the streets they will do the full term and I'll bet money on it. :)

We may well have a revolution as everyone, apart from banksters and the elite, is totally fed up with the status quo. After the roaring 20s, you had numerous governments in the 30s under different guises - for national government then, read 'coalition' now.

As I fully expect the economy to shrink this year with more demos on the streets, they'll be gone by Xmas :)

Do not forget the addiction and the trappings of power.

Cleggy and the other Lib Dems ministers love it. Knowing all the little secrets, minions at your beck and call, the ability to spend billions with the flick of a pen.

They will go to the end and the smart Lib Dems will have got themselves on the Brussels gravy train for when they lose their seats.

Assuming that the conservatives aren't going to force a new election the real question is will the liberals tough it out - my guess is yes.

Remember that combined they have 363 seats, which gives them quite a comfortable majority. If some of the backbenchers don't like it then tough - there's more than enough with ministerial jobs to keep them going.

Also, think about the exit strategy. If the liberals force an early election that is the end of them; they'll lose pretty much every seat they hold.

The only way that it ends well for them is to see it through to the end and come to some sort of non-compete agreement with the conservatives at the 2015 election.

IMO talk of coalition failure is wishful thinking on the part of labour supporters.

I utterly despise new labour.

The hypocrisy, the champagne wealth, the troughing, whilst cranking out policies to suit said troughing, the mawkish concern, the Coopers, the Balls, the Milibands, the Harmans, the Dromeys, the Blears, the Browns.

My main requirement at the last election was the removal of the architect of our destruction. That happened.

It was a very happy day for me.

I got in the car and hammered up the M3 to see it wth my own eyes, but the ******* walked when i was somewhere near Fleet services.... :lol:

I would now take great delight in watching the dismal, fetid, scrotes mentioned above, have to deal with this at the earliest oportunity.

I guess Daves ego wont let him throw in the towel, but it would be just BEAUTIFUL to watch Miliband try to get to grips with the shit, him and his scummy mates have got us in to.

Swear i heard him talking about house affordability this lunchtime.

A totally pointless, air shot, of a human being.

Was it live from Primrose ******ing Hill? Was Mrs Duffy watching? I despair for this country. We are so ******ed and brainwashed.

If there was another GE now, i'd vote UKIP without hesitation.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

As much as I despise the current coalition and their disastrous policies I really think they may go fullterm.

The people are too poor to riot.

Shame.

I'd love to see your lot back in power.

To save us form the "disastrous policies". :lol:

And get wiped out in a national election.

Nope.

Cleggy has one hope and one hope only. That the economy picks up enough in 4 year's time for today's situation to be forgotten.

He (and the rest ov his MPs) have no choice but to stick it out full term

I don't think the coalition will last the year. As a lifelong Lib Dem I don't think I'll ever vote for them again. My vote goes, somewhat grudgingly, to Labour now.

I accept that Nick Clegg was right to try and work with the Tories, but as it's turned out, basically all the Lib Dems have done is prop up a right-wing, cuts-mad Tory government with a multi-millionaire chancellor.

It's difficult for the Lib Dems, since as the junior partner in the coalition, they obviously couldn't expect too much - if the Lib Dem tail was wagging the Tory dog too much, that would be undemocratic. But the coalition hardly has a democratic mandate anyway because I can't imagine any Lib Dems voted for what we've got - undiluted Tory policies plus a rise in VAT!

What we have now is an unusual situation where all three political parties are to blame for the mess. Labour for panicking and bailing out the bankers at the taxpayers' expense, the Tories for punishing the taxpayers for Labour and the banks' mistakes, and the Liberal Democrats for abandoning everything they stood for to prop up the Torylition.

I wonder if there will be a Lib Dem leadership challenge soon.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

I don't think the coalition will last the year. As a lifelong Lib Dem I don't think I'll ever vote for them again. My vote goes, somewhat grudgingly, to Labour now.

I accept that Nick Clegg was right to try and work with the Tories, but as it's turned out, basically all the Lib Dems have done is prop up a right-wing, cuts-mad Tory government with a multi-millionaire chancellor.

It's difficult for the Lib Dems, since as the junior partner in the coalition, they obviously couldn't expect too much - if the Lib Dem tail was wagging the Tory dog too much, that would be undemocratic. But the coalition hardly has a democratic mandate anyway because I can't imagine any Lib Dems voted for what we've got - undiluted Tory policies plus a rise in VAT!

What we have now is an unusual situation where all three political parties are to blame for the mess. Labour for panicking and bailing out the bankers at the taxpayers' expense, the Tories for punishing the taxpayers for Labour and the banks' mistakes, and the Liberal Democrats for abandoning everything they stood for to prop up the Torylition.

I wonder if there will be a Lib Dem leadership challenge soon.

Before you put your X in the box did you not understand when Clegg said "Savage Cuts" what that meant?

The Torys are holding Clegg back from making savage cuts.

Lets face it.

A Lib Dem vote is a wasted vote.

They will never form a Government.

The Coalition is the highest point for the LibDems, its down all the way from now on.

If they do get proportional representation, they will always be in a coalition, so exactly what do the pouting LibDem voters want? (To say 'I didn't vote for this' is ridiculous, what did they think they were voting for?)

Bunch of air heads the lot of them.

Voting Lib Dem is a wasted vote as they sold their souls and will obviously agree to anything if they can get there alternative voting referendum (though that would be a good change IMO)

Voting Labour is a wasted vote as they'll just screw up the economy even more

Voting Tory is a wasted vote as they couldn't give a, er, hoot about anyone except their rich mates

Who's left? The Greens? They do have some sensible policies on economics but still, the Greens?

I like to think that the way things have been so screwed up and how things are changing in unlikely places across the world, new parties might be formed to represent people's true views and not just irrelevant party opinions of centuries past. Hopefully not fascist or extremist though...

Edited by MC Fur Q

New political parties being formed or current fringe parties coalescing together to form larger, more effective parties will perhaps happen in the next five to ten years in response to the Lib/Lab/Con stagnation which now seems almost as bad as the stagnation seen with the Republicans and Democrats in Washington DC (ie centre-right to right-right - and above all - pro-corporate whores).

I'm afraid the Tea(nut)baggers are yet another example of a bad, extremist political movement being exacerbated by a crumbling/stagnant economy and like UKIP on the other side of the Atlantic tackling an admittedly dysfunctional trans-continental political entity in mostly the wrong way, becoming a crank magnet. <_<

Edited by Big Orange

I think the Lib Dems, who I used to support, unwittingly set themselves a trap that will lead to disaster whatever happens.

1) For a long time they espoused the idea of electoral reform and power-sharing, so when the opportunity arose during the nation's hour of need, they had no option but to eat their money and co-operate with the Tories.

2) Once in the coalition, being the minor partner, they couldn't be the tail wagging the dog.

3) So as the Tories pursued an undiluted Tory agenda, the Lib Dems had to turn their back on the ideals they stood for and that their voters voted for.

4) If the Lib Dems end the coalition now, there will be a general election and their share of the vote will plummet. UKIP would mop up the disaffected Tory voters and Labour would probably win.

5) If the Lib Dems stay in the coalition for the full term, and things go badly for government, they won't be able to campaign against the Tories since they'd helped push through all the Tory policies.

6) If the Lib Dems stay in the coalition for the full term and the economy recovers, the Tories will campaign on the basis that they, the Tories, achieved the success. All the Lib Dems will be able to say is 'We helped the Tories'.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

all the Lib Dems have done is prop up a right-wing, cuts-mad Tory government with a multi-millionaire chancellor.

So what if the chancellor is rich?

Would you prefer a chancellor who is so financially incompetent he is bankrupt?

As someone said the other day on Guido's website: "So we’re being lectured on how the economy should be run by a party teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, whose shadow chancellor is in trouble over debt AND expenses claims."

As for the cuts, why, exactly, do you think they are being made?

I don't believe that Hyperduck was ever a Liberal, he seems to be a Labour shill.

All the Libdems can ever hope for is to be in a coalition. If they get proportinonal voting then they will often be in a power sharing government.

To parrot the labour line that the 'cuts' are unnnecessary is stupid. To say a 'Cuts mad Tory government' is to reveal deep labour feelings.

Only died in the wool Labour supporters can possibly ignore the enormous damage done to the country by their party.

If they were correct, they would be pointing out positive ways to deal with the mess. But they know that they are wrong, know that they are bankrupt for ideas, and confine themselves to the playground tactic of throwing stones. They try to rubbish the Chancellor because he is a millionaire. Well this is just the sort of successful person that we need to run the finances, not the economically illiterate 'Son of the manse.'

So what if the chancellor is rich?

Would you prefer a chancellor who is so financially incompetent he is bankrupt?

You have a point, but Boy George was born into considerable wealth: this does not mean he's unfit (or fit) to be Chancellor, but it's certainly no indicator of his financial competence.