House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Realistbear

2006 Compared With 2011 For Top Selling Motors

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Top-five-marques-2011-v-2006-tele-631705129.html?x=0&.v=1

14:17, Friday 4 February 2011

Ford (NYSE: F - news) and Vauxhall have dominated the car market in the Britain for years but they have been dramatic turnaround in the fortune for French and German carmakers.

A look at the top ten bestselling models in 2006 and 2011 highlights the difference.

Top ten models Jan 2006

Ford Focus - 10,643

Ford Fiesta - 8,495

Vauxhall Astra - 7,094

Vauxhall Corsa - 5,883

Renault Mégane - 5,058

Peugeot (Hamburg: PEU.HM - news) 206 - 3,896

VW Golf - 3,700

Peugeot 307 - 3,631

Ford Mondeo - 3,351

Vauxhall Vectra - 3,290

Top ten models Jan 2011

Ford Focus - 7,582

Ford Fiesta - 5,844

Vauxhall Astra - 4,510

Vauxhall Corsa - 4,363

VW Golf - 4,110

BMW (Xetra: 519000 - news) 3 Series - 3,184

VW Polo - 3,010

Vauxhall Insignia - 2,236

Peugeot 207 - 2,171

Nissan Qashqai - 2,108

Seems like 2011 repeated 2006, at least for the all important top 4. Ford and GM dominance is proving hard to displace.

Numbers down a lot though.

Numbers down a lot though.

Was in the local Kia dealership this lunchtime (me? tightwad?).. not even a hint of a discount on them.. and seemed to think that 12% was a good loan rate as well.

Scrappage brought demand forward.

Yep, plus people who buy a VW or a Merc don't need to buy a car as often. Once the warranty runs out on a Ford or a GM, people want to replace them ;)

"numbers down a lot though"

Not Arf, Pop-pickers!

...that is two good things going down.....houses and cars...there is still some hope out there. ;)

I was looking at these numbers earlier today, and I was surprised at the strength of the German manufacturers, both against last month and Jan 2007 (which is what I initially looked at, not Jan 2006). I don’t know enough about the motor trade though – maybe there are some unusual factors at play?

FWIW, here are some 2011 v 2006 comparisons:

carreg11v06.gif

Incidentally, the total for Jan 2005 was 181,474.

I was looking at these numbers earlier today, and I was surprised at the strength of the German manufacturers, both against last month and Jan 2007

The German cars are mostly bought by fleet leasing companies!

They can charge more to lease them, and they have a better resale value after 3 years when they are sold on!

Double win!

RIght or wrong people will pay more for them!

It's why you probably won't get an Alfa Romeo for your company car! ;)

If you want exclusivity buy a Mondeo or an Insignia - they sell less of them than the common as muck 3 series BMW.

I think this was a fall out from the credit years, why have a ford/general motors when you can MEW and get a BMW

Personally I don't care about exclusivity, a 3 series can cost as much as 60k, don't think you see many of these do you. Over the years its Audi that is as common as muck, in SW London they are everywhere. Surprised the A4 is not in the top ten but Audi invent a seperate series line for most model variants, BMW 3 series sales are probably also high due to the fact the in 3 series you include saloon, vert, estate, M3.

I was looking at these numbers earlier today, and I was surprised at the strength of the German manufacturers, both against last month and Jan 2007 (which is what I initially looked at, not Jan 2006). I don’t know enough about the motor trade though – maybe there are some unusual factors at play?

FWIW, here are some 2011 v 2006 comparisons:

Incidentally, the total for Jan 2005 was 181,474.

What you are missing is that the volume pissing match has moved to India / China. Google it and you'll see the volume increase in those markets. There really is a big push towards profitably in EU and it's going to come at the expense of volume.

I'll give you an example of the change thats going on. The new Focus launches in a couple of months and it's a global car. NA, EU, APA all launch at the same time, and it's already been acknowledged that the Focus market share will fall in the EU because the vehicle isn't so EU specific and there is already a lot of crossover with the Fiesta market. You going see more and more of this, global products with regional marketing and increasing homogeneity across all the platforms.

Ford have a program, ONE Ford, the idea (amongst others things) is that the brand DNA is instantly recognisable. You drive a Ford anywhere in the world and it feels the same, its instantly recognisable as a Ford. A Focus is a Focus, if you are in Detroit, London, or Beijing. Different marketing for sure, but the same core product.

People here are focusing on a very small market, Britain, and whilst regional marketing and sales are important, of course, considering one country when products (and I am talking about all of the large Auto players here) are currently lunched/sold/marketed across EU19/EU23, and increasingly globally, it's just too small a part of the picture.

People really need to stop thinking about countries.

The growth in the French btw is largely due to the variable marketing they have been pushing/leading for the last 12-18 months or so. I don't know if we see more or less of this in the next 12-24 months. Without them driving this, i would have expected to see a much larger increase in the price of all passenger vehicles in 2010.

There really is a big push towards profitably in EU and it's going to come at the expense of volume.

Certainly looks that way. I'm dreading having to buy my next car from the way prices are going.

Thats something you'll never hear on the BBC.

The car companies stuck all the prices up over a grand just before UK Govt/taxpayer profit subsidy to Ford & GM USA kicked in!

still the usual British badge snobbery going on then - suprised the usual v.w/audi buyers haven't realised they can get the same engine/car badged as a skoda yet for thousands cheaper . I had a fabia vrs and it would whup the ass off most motors once it was up and running in the mid-range , immense torque and excellent fuel consumption . "Ohhh but it's a skoooooda innit" said my friends (as they saw my tail-lights screaming off into the distance) :lol:

Yep, plus people who buy a VW or a Merc don't need to buy a car as often. Once the warranty runs out on a Ford or a GM, people want to replace them ;)

that may have been true back when Paula Hamilton was not just an exjunkie, but it is miles out now.... VW and Merc reliability is relatively poor these days.... [and I have owned a few, and still own one]

If you want reliability, buy a manual petrol Honda.

The German cars are mostly bought by fleet leasing companies!

They can charge more to lease them, and they have a better resale value after 3 years when they are sold on!

Double win!

RIght or wrong people will pay more for them!

It's why you probably won't get an Alfa Romeo for your company car! ;)

Prob a stupid question, but do these numbers include hire cars numbers as well? Certain firms give an employee an allotted amount, and they can buy whatever they want from whereever. I'd certainly look at an Alfa if that was the case for me...166's used to drop by 2/3s in the first three years...at least if you didn't own it personally, your not liable for those drops...

I think this was a fall out from the credit years, why have a ford/general motors when you can MEW and get a BMW

Personally I don't care about exclusivity, a 3 series can cost as much as 60k, don't think you see many of these do you. Over the years its Audi that is as common as muck, in SW London they are everywhere. Surprised the A4 is not in the top ten but Audi invent a seperate series line for most model variants, BMW 3 series sales are probably also high due to the fact the in 3 series you include saloon, vert, estate, M3.

I was surprised Audi is not near the top, they are the new mondeo man cars (read sales reps). Common, every other car seems to be one on the motorways.

BMW is a fascinating beast, it used to trade on exclusivity but just like the audi it is as common as muck now. They really mass produced them and all the sales 'managers' seemed to get them. What I don't get is the continued premium cost. Well actually I do, as the standard 3 series is way more in reach than on the years gone bye, you're buying a badge. And the exclusivity tag is completely gone. It's just another car on the road now.

AstonMartin (unreliable maybe) but that's still a car that will make me look twice.

I agree with you that it was fallout from the MEW years, people wanted to appear well off so they stuck a BMW on the drive, then they realised everyone else had one too :lol:

The number of neighbours who were crowing about their new BMW arriving soon etc etc. They were all just 3 series needless to say. Nothing special in them, not even an M series to spark up the street.

I have to agree with the original poster, Mondeos look pretty neat. I saw a couple on the MWays today and thought I wouldn't mind one looked classier to me than a BMW or audi.

that may have been true back when Paula Hamilton was not just an exjunkie, but it is miles out now.... VW and Merc reliability is relatively poor these days.... [and I have owned a few, and still own one]

If you want reliability, buy a manual petrol Honda.

And don't forget the new lifetime warranty on the GM drive trains!!! Show me a VW or Merc offer thats the same.

If you live in the desert and carry AK47s then the Merc is perfect. If you live in the 80's and are a wannabee boy racer, then the VW Golf is perfect. Don't anyone be snobish about the GM and Fords though. Good looking cars from both manufacturers, strong mechanics with working brakes (hear that Toyota?), stacked with leading tech features, I loved the embedded wires in the windscreen of a ford I drove for a while. Brilliant idea.

Still, the most comfortable car I ever drove was a Renault. I had one as a kid, and a BMW owner (when they were still quite rare) said she missed her old Renault as it was the most comfortable car she ever had. I had to agree.

OK,its a global market, but dealers must be feeling the pinch.

I was surprised Audi is not near the top, they are the new mondeo man cars (read sales reps). Common, every other car seems to be one on the motorways.

BMW is a fascinating beast, it used to trade on exclusivity but just like the audi it is as common as muck now. They really mass produced them and all the sales 'managers' seemed to get them. What I don't get is the continued premium cost. Well actually I do, as the standard 3 series is way more in reach than on the years gone bye, you're buying a badge. And the exclusivity tag is completely gone. It's just another car on the road now.

AstonMartin (unreliable maybe) but that's still a car that will make me look twice.

I agree with you that it was fallout from the MEW years, people wanted to appear well off so they stuck a BMW on the drive, then they realised everyone else had one too :lol:

The number of neighbours who were crowing about their new BMW arriving soon etc etc. They were all just 3 series needless to say. Nothing special in them, not even an M series to spark up the street.

I have to agree with the original poster, Mondeos look pretty neat. I saw a couple on the MWays today and thought I wouldn't mind one looked classier to me than a BMW or audi.

Well said :) my comments are tinged with a little bias as I used to own a BMW

To be fair my mum has a new style Mondeo (i had 2 as well st24 and mk ii ) and the difference between the latest MK3/4 and the original sierra replacement is astonishing, from ride quality, build, etc. The car is very nice to drive, I do sometimes wonder why you need anything from VAG, BMW etc.

I used to be into cars big time and I must admit I still yearn for the amazing 335i msport (was 40k!) with that straight 6 twin turbo masterpiece :) but with the cost of RFL, tax, insurance, maintenance, fuel costs, worry about it getting vandalised, damaging the expensive alloys, £300 tyres (even had tyre insurance) – I couldn’t do it again.

Well maybe I could if I buy a 'bargain' house and MEW in 5 years time :lol: (joke)

OH has just put in the order for his next company car.

The Insignia was scrubbed from his list early on, due to crap rear interior space (despite the size of the car) and a dreadful emission band, he 'a diesel man' BTW. He's gone for a Mazda 6, because it represented the 'best value for income tax' He was going to have to go for a lower spec on the Mondeo for the same money.

We've noticed a lot of Mazda 6's on the road, and a wider range of car models generally. Is some of this volume drop on the top 10 because people have found better value with some of the less popular manufacturers?

Prob a stupid question, but do these numbers include hire cars numbers as well? Certain firms give an employee an allotted amount, and they can buy whatever they want from whereever. I'd certainly look at an Alfa if that was the case for me...166's used to drop by 2/3s in the first three years...at least if you didn't own it personally, your not liable for those drops...

+1

A friend of mine had always wanted to own an Alfa. She waited until she was eligible for a company car so that someone else picked up the tab for all the ... Alfaisms

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Top-five-marques-2011-v-2006-tele-631705129.html?x=0&.v=1

14:17, Friday 4 February 2011

Ford (NYSE: F - news) and Vauxhall have dominated the car market in the Britain for years but they have been dramatic turnaround in the fortune for French and German carmakers.

German young men no longer view owning a car at 18 as a important rite of passage. In fact, they no longer even want to look at cars anymore and car magazine sales are crashing as well.

That's due to demographics, and the green anti-car fashion, the other reason is that cars no longer are tinkerable.

Besides that, there is now a speed limit on the Autobahn, so what's the point of owning a nice fast car now? Eh.

Cinnamon who never gets over the fact that Porsche manages to sell cars in the UK where snail speed is mandatory.

+1

A friend of mine had always wanted to own an Alfa. She waited until she was eligible for a company car so that someone else picked up the tab for all the ... Alfaisms

£110 for a set of plugs for a 156! :huh: