House Price Crash Forum
scepticus

Big Society Shrinking Fast

Liverpool bails out of pilot project and Big Society Tzar learns about the rewards of getting involved.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifestyle/article-23920428-how-my-top-government-job-left-me-almost-penniless-and-unable-to-support-my-family.do

Time to just fess up and get on with the cuts without lying about their essential unfairness or trying to apply fig leaves, until the coalition implodes.

I've nothing against cuts to the deficit, but I do have a big problem when the main architects and beneficiaries of the mess (and I'm not restricting that to the Labour party, I'm talking about the boomers, the financial services industry and the top earners and the tories as well) are precisely not the sectors being chopped or asked to volunteer.

More:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jan/31/william-conqueror-big-society-woodland

The government maintains that it wants to encourage "new ownership models", and open up "new opportunities for public participation". It suggests that "community and civil society groups" should buy or lease woods now owned by the Forestry Commission. There's just one catch: "any sale would be at the open market value". We'll have to pay for something that we are deemed to own already, at a rate (between £3,500 and £7,000 a hectare) that few communities can afford. If we can't find the money, the woods will be purchased by business instead. The government expects only 8% of the forests it sells to be bought by community groups. Forestry Commission documents suggest that the real proportion will be much smaller.

Without money, the big society is all guff. If the government meant what it says about encouraging public participation, it would give the woodlands to community groups, and use the money it made from selling sitka plantations to commercial foresters for supporting the new public owners. Instead, the money will disappear into the Treasury, to be spent on empty aircraft carriers and corporate tax breaks. (If, that is, there is any money. When the commercial foresters are compensated for conservation and public access, this sell-off could cost more than it makes.)

Like every privatisation and every nationalisation, this is a squandered opportunity. If the government believed its own rhetoric, the disposal of the forest estate would help to restore a genuine public ownership of the land, lost through centuries of dispossession and enclosure. Instead it looks like just another squalid little fire sale, liquidating our common treasury to release some emergency cash.

I had no idea who or what the Big Society is before the election, and i still dont now. Other than a buzzword for tories trying to get away from the 'no such thing as society' thing (rather than actually putting it into context)

That said, its just the crybabies in Liverpool throwing their toys out of the pram, just like the 80s.

Thats why theyll never recover. Family members from Liverpool who got out said as much. Once out of that city they were able to make a sucess of themselves.. Theres a culture of entitlement in that city, a total cant do attitude. Boris said as much as was condemned for it. Every one knows it though. Even five year olds have a ten tonne chip on their shoulder about 'Thatcher'

The world has moved on, Liverpool hasnt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3749548.stm

Boris comments

It says Liverpudlians "wallow" in their "victim status", adding it is part of the "deeply unattractive psyche" of many in the city.

I had no idea who or what the Big Society is before the election, and i still dont now. Other than a buzzword for tories trying to get away from the 'no such thing as society' thing (rather than actually putting it into context)

That said, its just the crybabies in Liverpool throwing their toys out of the pram, just like the 80s.

Thats why theyll never recover. Family members from Liverpool who got out said as much. Once out of that city they were able to make a sucess of themselves.. Theres a culture of entitlement in that city, a total cant do attitude. Boris said as much as was condemned for it. Every one knows it though. Even five year olds have a ten tonne chip on their shoulder about 'Thatcher'

http://news.bbc.co.u...ics/3749548.stm

Boris comments

It says Liverpudlians "wallow" in their "victim status", adding it is part of the "deeply unattractive psyche" of many in the city.

here here...its meaningless political speak for nothing at all.

Destroy the real value of the peasants' wages through inflation, tax away half of what's left, then ask them to run (and pay for) public services themselves.

Great plan.

I'm in no way a Labour supporter, but this big society business always was a load of guff. Even senior Tories complained about how hard it was to sell this policy on the doorstep.

Presumably, they chose this expression because it sounds better than small state.

Boris comments

Surely not

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4372230.stm

Flowers and tributes were left in an alleyway where the body of a mystery dead baby was found - before police realised it was only a chicken foetus. A member of the public discovered the remains in a back alley in the Anfield area of Liverpool.

Police cordoned off the scene but soon realised that it was not a human but a chicken foetus.

Well-wishers had laid more than a dozen bunches of flowers at the scene, along with cards and teddy bears.

Big society means:

do it yourself, for free, without financial incentive or expectation of reward.

How many people here would volunteer to keep a library open for an afternoon a week?

Run a youth club? Sweep the streets near their home?

Not very many. And that's the problem. Society begins at home. We all expect someone else to do it and pay for it.

The woman on QT last night said: "It can't come from the top down, it's got to come from local" ... and then a moment later said "We need a check list of things to do"...

Well that's got to come from somewhere so where does she want it to come from.

Most volunteers would want to do nice things like hospital radio, charity shops,etc

Nothing dirty, grimy or horrid. The ones who do, are already doing it.

All this talk of increasing social responsibility looks absurdly hollow as we see the banksters franticly resisting any attempt to defuse their exploding cash machine and pay at the top soaring into the stratosphere, while the corporations they work for do all they can to avoid taxation on the profits they make by operating here.

Maybe a little more 'big society' at the top might persuade the rest of us that there is substance behind this rhetoric.

Not very many. And that's the problem. Society begins at home. We all expect someone else to do it and pay for it.

"theres no such thing as society (just individuals and families)" Except when people are being paid

Thatcher was right afterall.

:lol:

I'm in no way a Labour supporter, but this big society business always was a load of guff. Even senior Tories complained about how hard it was to sell this policy on the doorstep.

Presumably, they chose this expression because it sounds better than small state.

The whole idea of the 'Big Society' was that people would get together in voluntary groups to provide all the services that the government stopped providing, and charities would expand into the gap and so forth.

Which actually makes sense if you live in a very wealthy area, where there are plenty of (sorry for the stereotype) lots of tory wives with time on their hands. Of course in the average area, people don't have the spare time to replace the services; and charities are getting stomped all over the place because of the withdrawal of grants and other government funding, so the 'Big Society' is just a cover for 'cut'n'hope'.

The Big Society was a vision from the elite classes to give the prolls the idea that they could have ownership of something where everyone helped each other during times of austerity while the elites continued to enjoy their own smaller society where the big riches were enjoyed as they were in the pre-WW1 days. A sort of Upstairs - downstairs situation where the poor were kept happy in their own society--which has to be big because there are so many of us.

I am sorry now that I voted for the Tories. I shall be going UKIP next time around. They and their crew (Vince aside) are completely out of touch with the people of this country and they need to go. And the Millipede crew can go away and too--especially that bombastic Balls creature and the Harpic person.

Edited by Realistbear

The Big Society is nothing but an attempted massive con trick whereby the poor are left to fend for themselves while money shufflers stuff their wallets full of QE cash and evade taxes that the little people pay. No wonder Liverpool, having plenty of the former but few of the latter, have told Eton Dave to naff off.

More of Steve Hilton's bluesky thinking nonsense. :angry:

How many people here would volunteer to keep a library open for an afternoon a week?

Run a youth club? Sweep the streets near their home?

Right. So the state taxes me into oblivion, gets in the way of whatever I want to do, persecutes me as soon as I have the temerity to drive a car, cripples the business I work for with ludicrous regulation....

...and now they want my help? Seriously: go ****** yourselves.

Boris comments

After the brainwashing to create max confrontation between sexes

The deliberate destruction of close knit communities (example Pathfinder destroyed just under 11,000 houses up North) they then deliberately split up neighbourhoods.

Creating laws for maximum antagonisation between splitting couples

Withdrawl of Police patrols supposedly due to no cash from communities devastated by ferals and peer pressure drug selling/gang warfare

(although Govt can easily find cash to fund 70,000 'community officers' (future stasi)

Buy 30,000 tasers and refit 1,000 armoured patrol vehicles at a cost of Billions to attack the UK population with)

They now want to build society "in their image"

The people that work for free in our society do it because they have always done it and gain great satisfaction from helping others less fortunate than themselves...they do not advertise what they do, they do it because they can do it and they want to do it.

When I see the greedy and selfish do something small to help others I would personally like to shake their hand. ;)

The Big Society is nothing but an attempted massive con trick whereby the poor are left to fend for themselves while money shufflers stuff their wallets full of QE cash and evade taxes that the little people pay. No wonder Liverpool, having plenty of the former but few of the latter, have told Eton Dave to naff off.

More of Steve Hilton's bluesky thinking nonsense. :angry:

The Wirral is where the Mercians defeated a joint Viking/Scots army to create a unified 'Middle England' under one ruler King for the first time.

"the Wirral is a peninsula in North West England. It is bounded by three bodies of water: to the west by the River Dee"

Wirrel was area where the huge battle was, defeated, 5 Northern/Viking Kings were killed + Viking King of Ireland was forced to withdraw back to Ireland/Dublin (from wirral marshes)

The Occult Establishment deliberately pick on the Liverpudlians by using occult 'reverse' psychology on them!

Tam-worth is the old Mercian Castle capital of England with Salt-ire flag.

Tam means 'Tame' as in 'tame the serfs' under the elites who can pick off the lands & wealth at their leisure. There is even a piss-taking river called the 'Tame' in that area!

Who benefited from unsinkable Titanic sinking - how much insurance did the wealthy 'family' company collect after the sinking?

Edited by erranta

The age old dilemma

actually an egg is a chicken foetus

A leading scientific study concluded recently that a chicken foetus could not survive outside the shell of an egg. They were at a loss to explain how the first chicken came to being other than to conclude it "must have" been a fluke of nature or a wild one-off mutation..

As for Dave's big society--it seems enough of us know what it realy is: an elitie class contrick to appease the masses. Sickening patronisation.

Vive les sans couletts!

The Big Society - a Tory wheeze to try to make public sector cuts palatable.

Unfortunately, those likely to subscribe to the ethos are knackered from working all hours God gives them to try to get/keep a roof over their heads.

Those that have the time are more likely to be interested in watching Jeremy Kyle and Sky Sports. And of course, they have terrible problems with their backs.

Epic fail.

Big Society is to David Cameron what Cool Britannia was to Tony Blair !

As far as I can tell, Big Society is just a euphemism for slashing public services and getting unpaid volunteers to make good the shortfall.

In a time of recession and rising unemployment, replacing paid jobs with unpaid ones will just break society more. Surely under minimum wage legislation you can't simply replace a paid job with an unpaid one.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

The whole idea of the 'Big Society' was that people would get together in voluntary groups to provide all the services that the government stopped providing, and charities would expand into the gap and so forth.

Which actually makes sense if you live in a very wealthy area, where there are plenty of (sorry for the stereotype) lots of tory wives with time on their hands. Of course in the average area, people don't have the spare time to replace the services; and charities are getting stomped all over the place because of the withdrawal of grants and other government funding, so the 'Big Society' is just a cover for 'cut'n'hope'.

Spot on. It's possibly the most feeble, out of touch attempt ever seen at creating a unifying theme for a government.