House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid #FBPE#JC4PM#GTTO

Voip/second Line/cheap International Calls

Was going to post this on MSE but its a shit forum, so cumberosme you can never find what you want.

I'm moving, so looking for phone line suppliers. Currently with BT for line rental (£14) and Orange (£20) for ADSL/broadband and free international calls (1000 mins fair usage). Can I get the same service for less elsewhere? Int'l calls needed to Greece and Australia.

When we moved last year, Orange would not give me cheap line rental or cheaper ADSL without moving to a tariff without the free international calls

TalkTalk offer something similar but last year wanted a min. 2 yr term (we're moving after 1 yr) and £100 connection fee (would have eaten up the monthly saving). The Post Office was cheaper but the terms of their international calls plan isn't great

We like the Orange Livebox service because you just plug your second phone into the router, no messing with computers or VoIP accounts (Used to use VoIP not cheap even at 1p a minute)

It would be strange to think that 4 years on from first taking the deal, I can't do much better without messing myself about with randon suppliers and quaint operating difficulties.

I've got the TalkTalk international package: landline phone and ADSL (40gb/month) with 'free' (i.e. inclusive of the price) calls to landlines in a list of around 30 countries, all for £26 a month. If I didn't have caller display and anonymous call reject, that would come down to £20 a month. They did specify the two-year minimum contract, but did not charge me a £100 connection fee. It's been a very good deal for me: I probably spend around 25-30 hours a month on the phone to the US. Even doing that on Skype to landline would probably set me back about the same as this package alone.

I've got the TalkTalk international package: landline phone and ADSL (40gb/month) with 'free' (i.e. inclusive of the price) calls to landlines in a list of around 30 countries, all for £26 a month. If I didn't have caller display and anonymous call reject, that would come down to £20 a month. They did specify the two-year minimum contract, but did not charge me a £100 connection fee. It's been a very good deal for me: I probably spend around 25-30 hours a month on the phone to the US. Even doing that on Skype to landline would probably set me back about the same as this package alone.

My parents use the TalkTalk plan so I know its ok but the contract and the fee (I tried to talk them out of it to no avail) were showstoppers.

sky also do an international call package that gives you free calls to italy and greece, have to check contract length and costs : http://www.sky.com/s...k/talk-options/

Forgot about them, they weren't available for our current house last year but now its ok.

But is it worth saving £8 a month to use the "Spawn of Murdoch"?

I use Voipfone for my home and business lines for the following reasons

Cheap as chips Saving about £600 a year

Has never let me down

Most importantly you can port you BT number to Voip, meaning you keep your BT number wherever you go in the world

B)

Most importantly you can port you BT number to Voip, meaning you keep your BT number wherever you go in the world

B)

What would be far more useful for me is a mobile phone contract that gave you a local number in a foreign country for the natives to call you on when you were visiting, as well as your normal UK number, with both numbers reaching the same phone at intra-national call rates. When I visit the US, I can either have people call me on my UK mobile number, meaning that they pay international call rates and I pay roaming charges; or I can buy a local PAYG SIM and stick it in my phone, in which case my UK number no longer works and I've got to go through the hassle of telling all the UK-based people who might want to call me that they've got to call another number (and an international one, at extra cost to them) between such-and-such dates. Oh, and I'd lose Blackberry email if I changed the SIM, too.

What would be great would be a deal whereby I could have a local Alaska number that I can activate whenever I'm in the area, but which plays a 'This number is not available' message when I'm in the UK. The natives would pay local call rates to ring me, while people calling me from the UK could still use my UK number and get through to the same phone on a roaming basis. So far I haven't found any phone company that provides such a service. As a result of this, I'm thinking of quite simply having a separate phone for when I'm in the US and carrying both of them around. It would be a pain, but the only way I can think of for achieving this.

I use Voipfone for my home and business lines for the following reasons

Cheap as chips Saving about £600 a year

Has never let me down

B)

That's a bit OTT for me. Nto sure how I can save when I only spend £34 p.m. anyway

What would be far more useful for me is a mobile phone contract that gave you a local number in a foreign country for the natives to call you on when you were visiting, as well as your normal UK number, with both numbers reaching the same phone at intra-national call rates. When I visit the US, I can either have people call me on my UK mobile number, meaning that they pay international call rates and I pay roaming charges; or I can buy a local PAYG SIM and stick it in my phone, in which case my UK number no longer works and I've got to go through the hassle of telling all the UK-based people who might want to call me that they've got to call another number (and an international one, at extra cost to them) between such-and-such dates. Oh, and I'd lose Blackberry email if I changed the SIM, too.

What would be great would be a deal whereby I could have a local Alaska number that I can activate whenever I'm in the area, but which plays a 'This number is not available' message when I'm in the UK. The natives would pay local call rates to ring me, while people calling me from the UK could still use my UK number and get through to the same phone on a roaming basis. So far I haven't found any phone company that provides such a service. As a result of this, I'm thinking of quite simply having a separate phone for when I'm in the US and carrying both of them around. It would be a pain, but the only way I can think of for achieving this.

Don't know if that suits your needs

That's a bit OTT for me. Nto sure how I can save when I only spend £34 p.m. anyway

If its just one line you want you can have a free number and make Voip calls with no subscription, If you port over a BT number it costs 1.99 a month plus calls which for me work out about 9 quid a month.

The reason it works for me is that I move out of the STD code area, the only way to keep my numbers was to port to a voip provider.