House Price Crash Forum
cardiffone

Ok, Which City Has The Best Houses For The Least Price?

Ok, which city has the best houses for the least price?

By that i mean large quality impressive properties with big gardens...

Check out some of the victorian mansions available in Newport, South Wales http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^1810&insId=1&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on

can you beat these type of houses at these prices in the UK?

Edited by cardiffone

Check out some of the victorian mansions available in Newport, South Wales http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^1810&insId=1&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on

can you beat these type of houses at these prices in the UK?

Your comment about "having to live" there got me thinking,

Which cities have the best houses AND living environment for the least money. For example we live in Chester which (despite a LOT of shop closures) has a lovely feel, lots of history, everywhere is walkable and we enjoy living here, it the right size for us, plenty of restaurants but not polluted. However the house prices (and rents) are far higher than you would find in the surroundings - it's like a little bubble of Southern prices. So we could not afford to buy a house here and the rent is a bit steep.

So any suggestions for towns or cities with good houses (big gardens) good town (preferably historic, pleasant and walkable) but better value?

I was wondering about Durham and York, anyone live near either of those?

York would be fantastic were it not for the northerners

Might have a look at that then. I've lived amongst northerners for a while now and a few of them aren't that bad! (I try and avoid the ones that only wear vests in the winter)

I posted this before. In my area of Bedford + 15 miles

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28367908.html

11446_0057_HRT005705150_IMG_00_0000.JPG

4bed detached, £125k

45 mins to London from nearby Wellingborough.

Admittedly its about a small a 4bed as youll find, no en-suite, only a Lounge Diner. Rushden is a bit grotty, but so is Huntingdon, Biggleswade, Sandy, and purely by virtue of Huntingdon, Biggleswade and Sandy being a bit closer to Cambridge the same house would cost twice as much.

...but the best houses are not the biggest houses with the biggest gardens. ;)

Middlesborough seems to have the best houses for your money. As always, it does require you to live in Middlesborough.

If anyone was thinking for even a micro-second about living in Middlesbrough can I advise them to stop thinking that right now! It's H O R R I B L E. I lived there for three years for uni. *Shudder*

One of my housemates got beaten up by a group of 8 year olds, and they stole his cash-and-carry fizzy cola bottles! (I think they only won because he was worried that he would be in trouble if he defended himself, that and the fact he was a wuss)

We also had a lad climb in our window on the rob. Got stuck halfway in and then cra pped himself when my other housemate got a baseball bat out from under the bed. Never seen someone go from cocky to crying so quickly! :D

Bradistan, Lister Park/University area. But then you will be trapped in a NE hell and will probably witness the first civil upheval during the Great Depression of 2013.

Ha the red light district

One of my housemates got beaten up by a group of 8 year olds, and they stole his cash-and-carry fizzy cola bottles! (I think they only won because he was worried that he would be in trouble if he defended himself, that and the fact he was a wuss)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Might have a look at that then. I've lived amongst northerners for a while now and a few of them aren't that bad! (I try and avoid the ones that only wear vests in the winter)

be sure to look into the flooding issue, and you might not like the tourists in summer. I like the tourists, they dilute the local population enough to find yourself in polite and civil company. Lovely place spoiled by the English, sad to say.

When you move through a few pages of the places in Newport and get to the 200 K range , youll find semis and bungalows. Are they serious????? I thought Wales was finished theres plenty of dreamers about. AH AH

be sure to look into the flooding issue, and you might not like the tourists in summer. I like the tourists, they dilute the local population enough to find yourself in polite and civil company. Lovely place spoiled by the English, sad to say.

thanks for the flood warning. Re: the tourists, I've gotten used to them, they are in Chester all year round although worst in the summer. Know all the shortcuts through town though, so usually able to avoid them. Worst thing about Chester is the 12 race days a year, where the entire town is flooded with drunk liverpool chavs (orange with bleached hair) and london toffs (usually called Penelope and Tarquin) wo treat you like a country bumpkin. On those days it's advisable to get the hell out of town!

Edited by Bear Necessities

I posted this before. In my area of Bedford + 15 miles

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28367908.html

11446_0057_HRT005705150_IMG_00_0000.JPG

4bed detached, £125k

45 mins to London from nearby Wellingborough.

Admittedly its about a small a 4bed as youll find, no en-suite, only a Lounge Diner. Rushden is a bit grotty, but so is Huntingdon, Biggleswade, Sandy, and purely by virtue of Huntingdon, Biggleswade and Sandy being a bit closer to Cambridge the same house would cost twice as much.

Not bad at all; although it's a repo which tend to have a lower initial asking price.

I'll have to have a word with the missus...

Not bad at all; although it's a repo which tend to have a lower initial asking price.

I'll have to have a word with the missus...

Dont know if its a repo, another one on that development sold for £125k a couple of months ago too.

Bear in mind these things only went for £160k a peak, and around £45k in 1996. IMO they arent worth more than £80-85k.