House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pole

Coalition Wants To Establish 'new Model Of Sustainable Economic Growth'

Surely, the new model won't be based on house price growth??? :blink:

... and look at the picture in the guardian...

Nick-Clegg-has-warned-tha-007.jpg

Nick Clegg has warned that developing a new model for economic growth will not be an 'overnight job'.

Really??? I'm sure the nation thought that it can be done overnight. Thanks for warning us, Mr Clegg - you're a lifesaver!!! :rolleyes:

it's got to be about making something.

On r4 this morning they interviewed some enterprising woman who was selling retro sweets. Not making them and exporting them, but selling them in her local area.

*shakes head*

We can not be a nation of shoppers and shopkeepers.

I've posted this radio 4 link else where but it's more appropriate here 2 hours 10 minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00y2sf0/Today_04_02_201

The main reason I hated the Tory's back in the 80's was the way they seemed to close down all the manufacturing job's steel industry coal industry. I felt that the MP were all white collar workers who thought therefore the only people of any importance must be white collar works. Now they have suddenly realized that they don't actually create any wealth.

How about not sending all our jobs to your Chindian friends Dave and Nick?

Oh what's the use really, you're just the organ grinders' monkeys. All you care about is your taxpayer funded pension pot and bankster jobs when you're kicked out.

How about not sending all our jobs to your Chindian friends Dave and Nick?

Oh what's the use really, you're just the organ grinders' monkeys. All you care about is your taxpayer funded pension pot and bankster jobs when you're kicked out.

Bankers sons Nick and Dave will save us hurrah!

He looks tired in that photo.

...when I saw him on the TV the other day I thought that, he looks like he has aged 10 years in the last six months...I hope he thinks it will all be worth it. ;)

HPI and consumer spending is the only game in town for the UK and I suspect the coalition know this. Manufacturing renaissance? Do me a favour, we're not Germany or France as Thatcher decided to turn the British into a nation of money shufflers.

America, for the time being, can play by a different set of rules to boost their consumer but interestingly house prices are still falling there.

Surely, the new model won't be based on house price growth??? :blink:

The problem is that they won't let the old system fail.

The financial sector is an enormous parasite now constituting 15-20% of the economy (and that's just the part the government statisticians know about), taxes are high and rising to support failed banks and a bloated public sector, and Merv is destroying the real value of wages by pouring more and more freshly printed money into the gaping maw of the rentier class.

How can capital be productively invested when so much is being siphoned off by an unproductive elite? High rents, high input costs and high taxes make speculation the only viable business model.

How can capital be productively invested when so much is being siphoned off by an unproductive elite? High rents, high input costs and high taxes make speculation the only viable business model.

Even if it were invested in production, there's no reason it will be invested here anyway- since the yanks decided that money needed to be free to roam the world in search of the biggest yield.

Most of Bernanke's billions are at work in China.

The 'knowledge economy' only works if you can control access to the knowledge- but western companies are happy to trade technology for access so that plan has come unstuck.

There is a total contradiction at the root of their thinking- they want both high house prices and a competitive workforce- but the first makes the second impossible.

It cant fail until the desired changes and thus new and/or improved forms of business are in place to take the strain.

At the same time, the UK banking sector still brings in enormouse revenue into the Uk from their overseas operations, just like other companies do beit oil companies, vodafone, ARM, and others.

I wonder if you could explain this bit to me. I'm not saying your wrong I would just like to understand it myself. may be then I wouldn't feel so angry towards the bankers. some times i think they are like money forgers every body loves them because their spending drives the economy but in fact all they do is cause inflation.

The 'knowledge economy' only works if you can control access to the knowledge- but western companies are happy to trade technology for access so that plan has come unstuck.

Apple are a counter-example.

Apple are a counter-example.

Apple are a fashion brand, not a technology company.

That isn't a criticism of Apple, its just that they aren't threatened by the theft of ideas or technology, any more than Gucci is worried about the Chinese learning the secret to making handbags.