House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Malthus

Medal Or A Cell ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12360994

A man has been shot dead by an off-duty police officer during a suspected robbery at a petrol station.

The PSNI said it happened on the Albertbridge Road in east Belfast at 1905 GMT on Thursday.

It is believed the dead man, who was in his 20s, was armed with a knife and was attempting to rob the filling station.

Imho a medal is required , however I fear charges will be pressed and a demand for a large amount of compo from the "victim's" family :(

Depends on the details which we dont and probably wont know.

You dont get to shoot people just because they have a knife, especially if they are no threat because they are running away from you.

I dont think that stopping a robbery being carried out with a knife by killing someone warrants a medal though tbh.

Sounds like a good shoot one less bad guy in the world.

I think the police in the US (not sure about the UK) see a person armed with a knife within 21 feet as a justification for shooting.

The only donwside in this is that the police are allowed to carry weapons for personal protect when ordinary citizens are not but then I guess some are more equal than others.

PSNI in Northern Ireland are issued with personnel protection weapons.

Sounds like they should be standard issue for the rest of the population. We need protecting from these morons. :angry:

Medal.

Though 20 - 20 - investigators are looking into this.

What level of crime dosen't deserve summary execution?

Same question I keep asking myself.

Plus why not fire off a warning shot first? No response aim for a leg.

Dibble was in NI, they carry their personal weapons for self protection.

Bearing in mind that this was inside a shop there was nowhere to fire a warning shot that wouldnt risk life.

If you shoot then you shoot at the central body mass and that is it. You dont shoot to wound because there is a chance of missing and an equal chance of it not incapacitating the threat.

I am guessing that there may not have been very much space in the shop between dibble and the guy with the knife, wouldnt p1ss about shooting him in the leg only for his momentum to carry him another couple of paces and bury a carving knife in your chest.

What level of crime dosen't deserve summary execution?

any so long as you pose no threat to the copper with the weapon..........unless you are brazillian :lol:

The shock or getting an artery might but I still stand by go for a debilitating shot first though.

That is illegal.

You can only shoot to kill. If it is not necessary to kill, then you must use something non lethal.

Medal.

Though 20 - 20 - investigators are looking into this.

Shame the same manpower is not used to take habitual criminals off the streets :angry:

Although with the cost of keeping someone in prison running at £80k per annum its actually cheaper to let them rob people :ph34r:

That is illegal.

You can only shoot to kill. If it is not necessary to kill, then you must use something non lethal.

If true that is fantastic :lol:

Even if you do succeed in hitting a leg, it can still kill.

...which is why, if there's a chance that somebody might die from your actions, you best kill them anyhow.

Explains why Phillip Morris employees go out shooting folk at the weekends.