House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot

Wireless Coax Tv Transmitter - Does One Exist?

Hi All,

I have a coax TV aerial connection currently in one room and wish to have a TV also in another but without the hassle of drilling holes in the wall, laying cables, etc.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a coax splitter with wireless transmitter and receiver?

I've had a look on the web but such a beast doesn't seem to exist.

There are plenty of things to transmit Audio/Visual signals from a Freeview or cable box, etc but nothing to wirelessly extend your aerials coax signal.

Any suggestions?

Yes, loads of products on the market - Phillips, AVSender, etc, etc.

Have a read of this forum and make up your own mind.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tvs/441514-wireless-tv-transmitters-receivers-any-good.html

Here is a google of some kit

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wireless+tv+transmitter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

How thick are your walls? Do you have any big cupboards against the walls?

Yes, loads of products on the market - Phillips, AVSender, etc, etc.

Have a read of this forum and make up your own mind.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tvs/441514-wireless-tv-transmitters-receivers-any-good.html

Here is a google of some kit

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wireless+tv+transmitter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

How thick are your walls? Do you have any big cupboards against the walls?

These all appear to be Audio/Video senders (for sending DVD or Sat to another room) and not for coax aerial. I've looked at all this stuff already and it's no good for coax.

These all appear to be Audio/Video senders (for sending DVD or Sat to another room) and not for coax aerial. I've looked at all this stuff already and it's no good for coax.

Ah, right. You need some sort of encoder, MPEG compression and then wireless transmission. They do exist - I have used them in the corporate world but have not looked into them for the domestic market.

Hi All,

I have a coax TV aerial connection currently in one room and wish to have a TV also in another but without the hassle of drilling holes in the wall, laying cables, etc.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a coax splitter with wireless transmitter and receiver?

There are plenty of things to transmit Audio/Visual signals from a Freeview or cable box, etc but nothing to wirelessly extend your aerials coax signal.

Any suggestions?

Only a thought but I wonder if such a device would be legal (hence your fruitless search), something to do with re-transmitting a broadcast signal.

Broadcasting every frequency in a coax cable? Its the same as picking up every frequency in the air and retransmitting everything perfectly, or picking up everything you get in from a sat dish and rebroadcasting. I fear the problem would be the sheer quantity of data in the entire spectrum. would the device need 400 receivers and transmitters one for each channel?

Devices that transmit audio signals short distances on FM are readily available in the consumer market, e.g. little dongle-like things that plug into your sHipod's headphone jack and broadcast its output a short distance so that you can listen to it through your car's FM radio.

If these are legal for radio, why not for TV?

Devices that transmit audio signals short distances on FM are readily available in the consumer market, e.g. little dongle-like things that plug into your sHipod's headphone jack and broadcast its output a short distance so that you can listen to it through your car's FM radio.

If these are legal for radio, why not for TV?

Thats for a single audio source, there are TV transmitters for a single frequency.... The OP wants to re-transmit every frequency. @OP If you buy a transmitter/receiver for every frequency you want to retransmit and adjust the broadcast frequency for each transmitter/receiver set. A diy ultrawideband

As others say there's nothing that will take the entire band and retransmit it that I know of.

Or not a small box

oimg_GC04584576_CA04584894.jpg

Simpler to split teh aerial indoors and buy another freeview box and plug that in directly, then control the freeview

box with a normal IR/Video extender.

Ah, yes..... I didn't think this through....

I was just looking at it from the perspective of a cable plugs into a box, therefore......

Whereas the single aerial is the conduit for multiple signals.

Cobblers. Looks like i'll have to do it properly with a cable splitter, route the additional cable then and a bit of re-decorating.

Ah, yes..... I didn't think this through....

I was just looking at it from the perspective of a cable plugs into a box, therefore......

Whereas the single aerial is the conduit for multiple signals.

Cobblers. Looks like i'll have to do it properly with a cable splitter, route the additional cable then and a bit of re-decorating.

It's the simplest way! ;)

What you want is leaky coax:

http://howto.techwor...stribute-wi-fi/

Interesting, just read that the slots in a leaky coax are tuned to an RF frequency... I doubt the range would be big enough/there would be an interference effect at at any significant distance?

NB : I havent got a clue what I am talking about, well out of my 'field' hahaha ;p

Hi All,

Any suggestions?

Came across this today from Maplin:

Maplin

• Directional Dome 5.8GHz Video Sender Kit

• High-gain directional aerial and higher frequency for improved picture quality

• 5.8GHz frequency band - no interference from wireless networks or wireless CCTV

• Send digital TV upstairs or to another room without cables
  • Long range, up to 330 feet (100 metre) transmission distance

• Compatible with practically any video source (DVD, TV, satellite, Cable (Virgin Media), PC, etc)

• Transmit and receive crisp video and hi-fi stereo signals around the home

• 4 channels for minimum of interference

• Change channel from another room with the built-in IR remote repeater (note: not compatible with Sky+ and Virgin remotes)

• Separate video and IR aerials for extra signal gain

• Stable 5.8GHz signal operates through most walls, floors and ceilings

• PAL and NTSC compatible

• Very easy to set up

Avoid the picture interference from standard 2.4GHz video senders with this 5.8GHz version. This video sender has a directional dome antenna allowing you to pinpoint the signal for the absolute minimum interference. As this used the uncrowded 5.8GHz band, it will not be affected by wireless CCTV, Bluetooth, WiFi nor your microwave oven! Watch your TV in any room with the minimum of fuss and signal degradation, even change channel from the other room - also ideal for making your wired CCTV cameras wireless and with 4 different channels you can send 4 signals throughout the house without interfering with one another.

Came across this today from Maplin:

Maplin

• Directional Dome 5.8GHz Video Sender Kit

• High-gain directional aerial and higher frequency for improved picture quality

• 5.8GHz frequency band - no interference from wireless networks or wireless CCTV

• Send digital TV upstairs or to another room without cables
  • Long range, up to 330 feet (100 metre) transmission distance

• Compatible with practically any video source (DVD, TV, satellite, Cable (Virgin Media), PC, etc)

• Transmit and receive crisp video and hi-fi stereo signals around the home

• 4 channels for minimum of interference

• Change channel from another room with the built-in IR remote repeater (note: not compatible with Sky+ and Virgin remotes)

• Separate video and IR aerials for extra signal gain

• Stable 5.8GHz signal operates through most walls, floors and ceilings

• PAL and NTSC compatible

• Very easy to set up

Avoid the picture interference from standard 2.4GHz video senders with this 5.8GHz version. This video sender has a directional dome antenna allowing you to pinpoint the signal for the absolute minimum interference. As this used the uncrowded 5.8GHz band, it will not be affected by wireless CCTV, Bluetooth, WiFi nor your microwave oven! Watch your TV in any room with the minimum of fuss and signal degradation, even change channel from the other room - also ideal for making your wired CCTV cameras wireless and with 4 different channels you can send 4 signals throughout the house without interfering with one another.

Thanks, but this is the same deal as previous posters have posted... This is sending an A/V signal from cable, DVD, a freeview box, etc this no good if I just want to plug the aerial coax in.

Thanks, but this is the same deal as previous posters have posted... This is sending an A/V signal from cable, DVD, a freeview box, etc this no good if I just want to plug the aerial coax in.

Hmmm, your requirement seems to hinge on creating a main FM transmitter in your house which would be completely OTT when there are much cheaper/simpler/less dangerous solutions.

Have you considered a portable aerial/digibox combo?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greentek-Indoor-Digital-Amplified-Freeview/dp/B002KKYBCG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1296986456&sr=8-8