House Price Crash Forum
fleabag

Getting Bond Back..

So,

Vacated flat the GF and I ad been in for 18mnths. We were accommodating about helping re-let the flat and even showed ppl round when LA didn't show up.

We moved our stuff out and really cleaned it from top to bottom. They did a checkout inspection and highlighted:-

"dust on the paintwork, extractor fan hood/filter greasy dust on the doors and bits of repainting"

My GF signed the checkout inspection and they said they might get a bit of cleaning done (despite the fact we left it cleaner than we found it).

then they send us a letter saying they will keep £165 for a 'full clean'!

we got a quote for £50 for 3 hours cleaning (which is about 3hrs more than it needs!) which we said is the maximum we will contribute and now they have stopped replying to our letters (despite them all being recorded delivery)

Shouid we go through the bond holding agency or small claims court? I dont really like the idea of the bond holding thing as it seems a bit of a kangaroo court with vested interests.

Anybody have any insight/advice we would really appreciate it!

You have to go through the bond deposit scheme in the first instance. It works in your favour, the LL can't make any deductions without you agreeing to it; if there's a dispute he has to prove the reasons for the deduction and that the deduction is proportionate to the work required.

You have to go through the bond deposit scheme in the first instance. It works in your favour, the LL can't make any deductions without you agreeing to it; if there's a dispute he has to prove the reasons for the deduction and that the deduction is proportionate to the work required.

No you don't, there exists a debt and you have a right to pursue that debt through the courts.

Posted Today, 08:20 AM
View PostLittle Professor, on 03 February 2011 - 10:35 PM, said:

No you don't, there exists a debt and you have a right to pursue that debt through the courts.

And in fact, if you are not happy with the decision of the adjudicator of the deposit protection scheme, you still have the option of pursuing through the courts. This is what I was told by the deposit scheme under which I have recently started a dispute resolution process. That was news to me.

You need to use the DPS first or whatever scheme is holding the bond.

Then, like mentioned above, you have an option to pursue through the courts.

Did you take pictures of the condition when you moved in and out of the property? Does the agent have pictures?

These help to prove your case.

Do you have proof of receipt for the recorded letters sent to the agent?

I would just go to the agents shop and get it sorted out face to face rather than using letters. See if you can get any sense out of them directly first of all. Make sure you keep everything civil though :D