House Price Crash Forum
Pent Up

Halifax Today +0.8%

Have the figures been released yet?

Not yet apparently, as seconds after release we would have several pages of either:

• Low volumes / statistically meaningless / overcooked seasonal adjustment / the BBC will have this on their front page

or

• Yum great bear food / crash cruise speed confirmed / a wake up call to the sheeple / in your face Brown, yada yada

The 'prediction' on the Forex Calendar says -0.2%. I'm sure it said -0.1% a few days ago.

Anyway, the figure is:

+0.8%!!

Low volumes / statistically meaningless / overcooked seasonal adjustment / the BBC will have this on their front page/ yada yada

BREAKING ON SKY: +0.8% mom and the presenter seemed very happy.

I partly agree regarding volumes, however this is a blow to us as nobody else will realise this. I DESPAIR, honestly I do. It's looking more and more like emigration for me.

I partly agree regarding volumes, however this is a blow to us as nobody else will realise this. I DESPAIR, honestly I do. It's looking more and more like emigration for me.

stop mucking about and get on with it, this country is screwwed

Me too

It's personal now - I'm not taking on shared ownership or a 50 year mortgage

I'm going to cut my spending again and save, but not in debt slave paper that the banksters are printing into oblivion

Buy silver, crash JP Morgan

****** you buddy!

I give up. How the hell are we supposed to be able to afford a house?

If free market forces were allowed to prevail from Aug 2007, we'd be down 50% now from peak.

I can understand McDoom manipulating the market, as it was, with IRs down to 0.5%, but I was hoping the Coalition was going to take a fairer approach. Interest rates need to go up and the will make houses affordable again.

What would possible drive prices up towards the end of last year?

I'm emailing my MP for the good it will do. Still, let him know how I feel.

Edited by LetsGetReadyToTumble

Personal for me, too....

Patfig, two more years at my job and then that's me. I'll have the experience that I need then it'll be either Germany and the U.S. I almost feel set free thinking about it in more earnest. This place is finished - no growth and I'm not paying a fraction of a million pounds for low area, poor quality accommodation. Never mind hanging around an incredibly dumb population.

Annual change

-2.4%

Quarterly change

-0.7%

Monthly change

+0.8%

http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media/word/HPI/2011/HousePriceIndexJanuary2011.doc

• House prices in the three months to January were 0.7% lower than in the preceding three months.  This continues the slight decline on this measure since last spring.  The pace at which prices are falling, however, remains markedly lower than during the second half of 2008 when quarterly declines of 5-6% were recorded.

• On an annual basis, prices in January were 2.4% lower as measured by the average for the latest three months against the same period a year earlier.

• Fewer properties coming onto the market for sale. The latest RICS survey, for example, reported a decline in new seller instructions for the third successive month in December. A continuation of this trend would help to reduce the imbalance between demand and supply and support house prices.

not any more :) I'm seeing a boom in new listings I'm

Confident this will not be a factor

• Slight rise in housing market activity in 2010. The number of home sales in the UK increased by 4% from 846,000 in 2009 to 884,000 in 2010, according to the latest HMRC figures. Despite this modest improvement, sales remain very low historically and are just over half the annual levels of 1.6-1.7 million in 2006 and 2007.

• Latest mortgage approval figures affected by the weather. Bank of England industry-wide figures showed a 10% decline in the number of mortgages approved to finance house purchase – a leading indicator of completed house sales – between November and December on a seasonally adjusted basis.  These figures, however, are difficult to interpret due to the unusually severe weather in December, which is likely to have reduced the level of approvals in that month.  Similarly, the 28% fall compared with December 2009 is significantly affected by the ending of the stamp duty holiday on properties between £125,000 and £175,000 at the end of 2009, which boosted the number of approvals during the last few months of that year.  

Edited by Pent Up

Need that chart that topher Bear put up, to be updated!

This crash is taking ages! A wise chinese man once said; It may take a long time sitting in a chair with your mouth wide open, waiting for a roast duck to fly in.

UP 0.8%

Here: http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media/pdfs/2011/HousePriceIndexJanuary2011.pdf

YoY has accelerated from -1.6% to -2.4%.... :P

"On a positive note, there have been further signs that the recent downward trend in prices is causing homeowners to be more reluctant to put their properties on the market. This development should help to relieve downward pressures on prices as long as it is sustained."

What a nob.

Edited by neon tetra

Low volumes / statistically meaningless / overcooked seasonal adjustment / the BBC will have this on their front page/ yada yada

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12363911

At least they mention YoY was down 2.4%

Yes, the figures mean little in theory, but it's another positive boost for sentiment - VIs have their day.

Edited by red

I give up. How the hell are we supposed to be able to afford a house?

If free market forces were allowed to prevail from Aug 2007, we'd be down 50% now from peak.

I can understand McDoom manipulating the market, as it was, with IRs down to 0.5%, but I was hoping the Coalition was going to take a fairer approach. Interest rates need to go up and the will make houses affordable again.

What would possible drive prices up towards the end of last year?

I'm emailing my MP for the good it will do. Still, let him know how I feel.

Relax, it's only one months figures ;)

I'm disappointed by these figures as well, of course, but look around you. At least around my neck of the woods, houseprices are not rising (those that come on at "optimistic" prices seem to stick).

It's just an index after all, it doesn't necessarily totally accurately reflect reality.

As a member once said volumes are unlikely as commercially sensitive. What imo you might see is revenue flat to falling and profits drifting lower as lower impairment charge due to low rates falls out of the comparison. Not sure about lender margins but with state shareholder who cares. Bonus is guaranteed?

The trend is clearly downward, down from 545 to 531 in 12 months (1983=100), down 0.7 Q/Q. Prices down 2.4% Y/Y is a real fall of 6%+.

Also interesting:

. We also expect interest rates to remain very low for some time, supporting a favourable affordability position for many existing mortgage borrowers and those entering the market."

Interest rates are going to rise this year which will probably push y/y falls towards 10% in real terms in the next 2-3 years.