House Price Crash Forum
theonlywayisdown

What 160,000 Great British Pounds Can Buy You In Gravesend, Kent

Ok, so I live in Kent, but I've never been to Gravesend. I hear its a reasonable place to live, outside the M25 so prices would be much cheaper than parts of Kent closer to London.

So I'm thinking, 3 bedroom house for 160k gbp, pictures look reasonable for an ex-council house. Ok, so its vacant, possibly a repo but theres a field right next to it so I'll be able to walk the dogs.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28429807.html

So I load up googlemaps to see whats the surrounding area like

http://maps.google.co.uk/

Unfortunately, googlemaps doesnt seem to allow you to link directly to street view. So I manually enter in the location:

Dunkirk Close, Gravesend

Then I streetview myself and navigate up the road, and turn right onto Hawkins Avenue, and navigate towards Palmer Avenue. The worst of it is right at that T junction.

This is what I saw:

shithole.jpg

Seriously, this is what one hundred and sixty fookin' thousand great britain pounds buys you in the SE, next to an abandoned slum.

cliffs:-

1). Google streetview should be mandatory on rightmove's maps.

2). House prices still crazy high for shitholes, especially in the SE.

Ok, so I live in Kent, but I've never been to Gravesend. I hear its a reasonable place to live, outside the M25 so prices would be much cheaper than parts of Kent closer to London.

So I'm thinking, 3 bedroom house for 160k gbp, pictures look reasonable for an ex-council house. Ok, so its vacant, possibly a repo but theres a field right next to it so I'll be able to walk the dogs.

Unfortunately, googlemaps doesnt seem to allow you to link directly to street view. So I manually enter in the location:

Dunkirk Close, Gravesend

Then I streetview myself and navigate up the road, and turn right onto Hawkins Avenue, and navigate towards Palmer Avenue. The worst of it is right at that T junction.

This is what I saw:

shithole.jpg

Seriously, this is what one hundred and sixty fookin' thousand great britain pounds buys you in the SE, next to an abandoned slum.

bah, most of streetview was done in 2008. Just enough time for Gordon and his merry conmen to turn it into an up and coming yuppy paradise. Im sure you cant move due to there being so many Range Rover sports and Bentley continentals in the street now.

<snip>

<snip>

Here you go:

Google Maps link

On the streetview map, in the top right hand corner is a link entitled "link". This gives you the ability to copy the link to what you are looking at to paste it into forums etc.

Gravesend is a bit of a shithole, but the town centre has proved surprisingly resilient against the competition from Bluewater and the recession (mainly because it's full of pound shops/discount stores). In fact, I've seen little evidence of the recession having any effect here in north Kent (Dartford has always looked like a fcking bomb's hit it, as far as I can tell) and there has been continual construction throughout the recession where I work in Greenhithe.

It's depressing because there have been few if any falls in house prices here, where even crappy studio flats have tripled in value since 2000.

If they get £160,000 for that I will eat all my hats.

Gravesend is a dump and this is one of the nastier parts.

Visiting the town center during the day gives an impression of a town which is quite liveable in a scruffy sort of way.

On a Friday night it is coked up, pissed up chav and pikey central.

If you want to stay outside the M25 but still want to watch a stabbing Gravesend will not disappoint.

The least attractive pop up advert I have ever seen was 'click here to have sex tonight in Gravesend'.

Gravesend, one of the places that Dartford looks down on.

You forgot to add there are no jobs in Kent, unless you're prepared for a daily commute to The Golden City.

Seems only a few years ago that these houses were tenanted by people paying 25% of their wages in rent, now they are empty because needing basic shelter requires you to trade your life with the bank and agree that both the man and the woman will work to the age of 70, handing over every penny, when there aren't any jobs to do anyway.

Some people on HPC have a fundamental problem with squatting, I would have no problem if squatters moved into these houses.

Seems only a few years ago that these houses were tenanted by people paying 25% of their wages in rent, now they are empty because needing basic shelter requires you to trade your life with the bank and agree that both the man and the woman will work to the age of 70, handing over every penny, when there aren't any jobs to do anyway.

Some people on HPC have a fundamental problem with squatting, I would have no problem if squatters moved into these houses.

Some of the squatters I have met were OK. I would not wish this place on them.

za.jpg

Don't walk around alone at night.

Despite your attempt those houses still stand out. I think I prefer the zombies :lol:

Edited by OnlyMe

I think it is the kings Farm Estate , I worked in Dartford for years with many people who lived in Gravesend . They often talked about the Kings Farm Estate as a total no go area.

You mean Maidstone?

There's no jobs there either. No I meant London Where the entire wealth of the UK is stuffed and stuff everywhere and everyone else.

£160,000 to £190,000 isn't much. To the average working person who takes home £19,000 it just represents 10 years working without spending any money on food, clothing or anything else (including stamp duty). For such a salubrious area it looks like a bargain.

Dunkirk Close, Gravesend

This is what I saw:

shithole.jpg

Yes it does look quite close to Dunkirk, in about May 1940.

Dunkirk Close, Gravesend

This is what I saw:

shithole.jpg

Typo? Far too many 0's

Dunkirk Close, Gravesend

This is what I saw:

shithole.jpg

This about the same price ( Ok its 12000 miles away) and its a nice spot!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-property/Residential-property/Houses-for-sale/auction-333486414.htm

Good Lord :o I'm surprised the driver of the google streetview car had the balls to drive down there. :blink:

I think I'll stick to Cumbria where I can get a 4 bedroom house in a decent area for that much money. :P