House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Average Government Employee Earns More Than 7.5% Than Productive Sector

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Public-sector-pays-7-5pc-tele-1323681863.html?x=0

Public sector 'pays 7.5pc more'
Emma Rowley, 20:52, Wednesday 2 February 2011
The average public sector worker is paid 7.5pc more than his private sector rival when everything else is equal, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies, reinforcing the case for the state's pay freeze.

Pay freeze? They need a pay CUT so that they are 7.5% behind the productive sector. Look at the bint at Suffolk Council--£218k with a recent £70k pay rise. Disgusting waste of our money. :angry:

The UK Pensions Crisis Report, is the work of the TaxPayers' Alliance and Terry Arthur, a fellow of the Institute of Actuaries.

It says Mr Brown's decision in 1997, when he was Chancellor, to axe tax relief on dividends paid to pension funds has cost private occupational schemes £175billion.

This amounts to £16,600 for each of the 10.5million retirement pots of current workers.

Mr Brown's decision forced companies to make up massive shortfalls and began the decline of final salary schemes.

The growing gulf between private and public sectors has become an increasing source of bitterness over recent years and this is particularly acute in the current economic crisis.

1.] The average private sector worker retires with a pension pot worth £25,100 - enough to pay them about £1,700 a year.

2.] The average public sector worker will retire with a pot of £427,275 - worth £17,091 a year.

Private sector workers pay £14billion a year into their own retirement funds, but contribute around £21billion through their taxes for the pensions of retired public sector workers.

The TaxPayers' Alliance discovered that 17,150 public sector workers have already retired with pension pots worth more than £1million by 2008.

They include 10,500 NHS workers, 3,680 civil servants, 1,800 teachers and 815 judges.

The total would be even higher but the BBC and the Parliamentary Pensions Fund refused to give figures.

The figures will outrage millions of people who have seen the value of their private pensions fall by a quarter in 2008, as the credit crunch hit, and face having to work until they are 68 to reach the retirement income they had expected.

The gaping difference between Figures 1 and 2 seem utterly insane.

Edited by Dan1

Figures 1 and 2 seem utterly insane.

2 things - the generation born between 1950 and 1970 (ish) were awful at investing for themselves; they puty all their money into properdie, and public sector pensions are so generous because they were there; private sector pensions for these people are so awful because they didn't bother. This is not entirely the fault of the public sector.

2nd thing - Osborne's rather delicious cuts to public sector pension benefits are a killer; later entrants to those schemes (born after 1960) will see their pensions decimated by CPI adjustment, and the unions appear to be too stupid and powerless to do much about it.

Yup, i remember my GP being astounded at the generousity of the pay deals they got.

Same with telling every one he's going to dump lots of gold onto the market before doing it.

He isnt the kind of man you'd put in charge of finance. Oh yeah, thats exactly what liebour did.

This folks is why I have absolutely no problem with tax avoidance OR evasion.

Ethically the ACCA and SOCPA says I'm supposed to report it....

But I can't think of any reason as to why I should.

Yup, i remember my GP being astounded at the generousity of the pay deals they got.

yep - healthcare investment, don't ya just love it. I understand that UK hospitals are under-equipped compared to european ones - I wonder where the money went???

I wish all you Tory boys and Colonel Blimps would stop all this ridiculous criticism of public sector employees.

People working in the so-called 'productive' sector include:

1) Footballers on £50K a week for kicking a ball about.

2) Cowboy builders who leave your house in a worse mess than before they started.

3) Farmers why plead poverty while keeping quiet about their big subsidies and the wife's new Mercedes.

4) Car mechanics who know little more about cars than their average customer.

5) Property speculators who still make money out of flipping properties, even in the current climate.

6) Last, but not least, bankers, who caused the financial pain in the first place.

Most people in the public sector work hard and conscientiously for modest pay - it's the exceptions that make the headlines in the rightist tabloids. We hear about local authority chief executives who earn £200K a year (I agree it's far too much) - but it's nothing compared to bank bosses - INCLUDING those now in the public sector - RBS and LLoyds HBOS.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

What average are they using for these figures? If they are including the top troughers in the figures your going to distort the lower paid wages as well as pensions.

Perhaps a like for like comparison would be better comparing the top public sector troughers alongside there private counterparts on similar wages, it would be interesting to see what someone on £200k in the private sector gets in pension entitlements comparted to the public.

The IFS isn't independent it's got it's own political views and agenda. Although clearly a lot of people at the top in the public sector aren't worth the money.

What average are they using for these figures? If they are including the top troughers in the figures your going to distort the lower paid wages as well as pensions.

Perhaps a like for like comparison would be better comparing the top public sector troughers alongside there private counterparts on similar wages, it would be interesting to see what someone on £200k in the private sector gets in pension entitlements comparted to the public.

The IFS isn't independent it's got it's own political views and agenda. Although clearly a lot of people at the top in the public sector aren't worth the money.

This isn't fair though.... because footballers and corporate executives I can choose not to support.

So I think Tesco boss is paid too much? I do not patronise tesco, nothing happens other than less things are labeled tesco value in my cupboards.

So I think the council boss is paid too much? I withold extortion tax, what happens? Some thugs come round and break my legs.

THERE IS NO CHOICE in the matter ergo it is incomparable.

This isn't fair though.... because footballers and corporate executives I can choose not to support.

So I think Tesco boss is paid too much? I do not patronise tesco, nothing happens other than less things are labeled tesco value in my cupboards.

So I think the council boss is paid too much? I withold extortion tax, what happens? Some thugs come round and break my legs.

THERE IS NO CHOICE in the matter ergo it is incomparable.

You might like to think you can avoid paying the private sector but you can't, don't watch ITV you still support it each time you buy a product that's been advertised on it.

Similarly you might not buy something from tesco, but you go to your local shop for goods, you pay your money, the shop assistant who's wages you've contributed to then goes to shop in tesco, indirectly you've helped support that ceo's pay.

The entire system is interlinked you can't escaped paying.

2 things - the generation born between 1950 and 1970 (ish) were awful at investing for themselves; they puty all their money into properdie, and public sector pensions are so generous because they were there; private sector pensions for these people are so awful because they didn't bother. This is not entirely the fault of the public sector.

2nd thing - Osborne's rather delicious cuts to public sector pension benefits are a killer; later entrants to those schemes (born after 1960) will see their pensions decimated by CPI adjustment, and the unions appear to be too stupid and powerless to do much about it.

whether public or private, any generation born after 1960 has been right royally shafted at every turn, one way or another

Since all the other top bosses of Supermarkets are paid huge sums, there isn't much choice! You could go to a dreary small corner shop with a grumpy shopkeeper, but you'd still be buying items made buy big corporations whose bosses are paid huge sums.

I agree the top bosses of local authorities are paid too much. But this is often because they are required be law to be lawyers or accountants, depending on the post - so that drives the salary up, since people in such professions command high salaries.

Since all the other top bosses of Supermarkets are paid huge sums, there isn't much choice! You could go to a dreary small corner shop with a grumpy shopkeeper, but you'd still be buying items made buy big corporations whose bosses are paid huge sums.

not true, there are reasonable independent suppliers out there, thru indie supermarkets and even the co-op

however, despite lower paid execs, they always seem to cost more

I agree the top bosses of local authorities are paid too much. But this is often because they are required be law to be lawyers or accountants, depending on the post - so that drives the salary up.

got any examples backing this up?

Edited by Si1

Try telling that to Manchester United supporters. They don't like the Glazers or the way their club's going - changing to support another club is unthinkable to them. Not that I support any football club - I find it boring!

Also, if you don't like the huge sum paid to the chief executive of your local authority, you can always move to another county where the boss is paid less :lol:

Until recently it was a legal requirement for the chief executive of a local authority to be a qualified lawyer. I think that has changed now, but that historical inertia means that the high salaries continue.

Try telling that to Manchester United supporters. The don't like the Glazers or the way their club's going - changing to support another club is unthinkable to them. Not that I support any football club - I find it boring!

I'm a liverpool supporter, haven't been to a game or bought a shirt in over a decade, because too expensive, my choice

I wish all you Tory boys and Colonel Blimps would stop all this ridiculous criticism of public sector employees.

People working in the so-called 'productive' sector include:

1) Footballers on £50K a week for kicking a ball about.

2) Cowboy builders who leave your house in a worse mess than before they started.

3) Farmers why plead poverty while keeping quiet about their big subsidies and the wife's new Mercedes.

4) Car mechanics who know little more about cars than their average customer.

5) Property speculators who still make money out of flipping properties, even in the current climate.

6) Last, but not least, bankers, who caused the financial pain in the first place.

Most people in the public sector work hard and conscientiously for modest pay - it's the exceptions that make the headlines in the rightist tabloids. We hear about local authority chief executives who earn £200K a year (I agree it's far too much) - but it's nothing compared to bank bosses - INCLUDING those now in the public sector - RBS and LLoyds HBOS.

What are you saying?

None of the above happens under liebour?

Get real duck.

Not always there is a show on TVB right now about a man and a woman who swore never to buy from corporates ever again. One lives in Beijing one lives in Hong Kong. They even went so far as to not use public transport and bicycled everywhere. They managed it.

I agree the top bosses of local authorities are paid too much. But this is often because they are required be law to be lawyers or accountants, depending on the post - so that drives the salary up, since people in such professions command high salaries.

Not sure about this.... I think it is more old boys network of crooks tbh... most of the accountants I know (inc me) were annilated by outsourcers and automation. Have a look on reed London fully qualified folks salaries are 25-40K. In the regions it is not often over 18K!

Try telling that to Manchester United supporters. They don't like the Glazers or the way their club's going - changing to support another club is unthinkable to them.

Just because they are tribal and totally retarded doesn't mean they have no choice.

This folks is why I have absolutely no problem with tax avoidance OR evasion.

Ethically the ACCA and SOCPA says I'm supposed to report it....

But I can't think of any reason as to why I should.

Actually, I think you'll find that its the Money Laundering Regulations that say you must report it by law.

And in terms of reason: how does 2 years imprisonment sound.

I'm a liverpool supporter, haven't been to a game or bought a shirt in over a decade, because too expensive, my choice

I had a bit of luck the other day, I found a Liverpool season ticket nailed to a tree.

You can never have too many nails. :P

Actually, I think you'll find that its the Money Laundering Regulations that say you must report it by law.

And in terms of reason: how does 2 years imprisonment sound.

Are you really that silly? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The MLO is the one who gets it in the balls, and btw, if you have no official contract with the person who is doing the tax dodging there is no actual requirement to report. It is an extremely well tested principle in law. If this was not the case then tips in news papers could not exist.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Public-sector-pays-7-5pc-tele-1323681863.html?x=0

Public sector 'pays 7.5pc more'
Emma Rowley, 20:52, Wednesday 2 February 2011
The average public sector worker is paid 7.5pc more than his private sector rival when everything else is equal, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies, reinforcing the case for the state's pay freeze.

Pay freeze? They need a pay CUT so that they are 7.5% behind the productive sector. Look at the bint at Suffolk Council--£218k with a recent £70k pay rise. Disgusting waste of our money. :angry:

1. The title of this thread is meaningless and lacks clarity.

"Average Government Employee Earns More Than 7.5% Than Productive Sector"

Are doctors non-productive.... if they save a life?.

You have distorted the original press article with a silly title. Which actually compares the private vs public sectors.

2. public sector workers tend on average to be more educated than those in the private sector, given the numbers of health and education professionals who commands higher salaries.(quote from same article)

Thats like me creating a thread saying, average public sector is more intelligent than private sector and quoting the same article. Meaningless and just trying to make a silly point.

I've been in both private and public sector, there's waste and innovation in both. ... In but my incredibly tiny experience of 'the real world'

Things ebb and flow from private to public. No doubt public wages will be reduced to balance again, but calling them non-productive... Isnt that a bit insulting?

Edited by voidal

I've been in both private and public sector, there's waste and innovation in both. ... In but my incredibly tiny experience of 'the real world'

Things ebb and flow from private to public. No doubt public wages will be reduced to balance again, but calling them non-productive... Isnt that a bit insulting?

But that isn't the fundamental point which you have missed by a mile maybe 10 miles.

Private sector waste is fine, nobody forces you to use that company if they are inefficient and deliver poor value for money. Woolworths for example offered poor value for money as perceived by shoppers. It went bust because people chose not to patronise it.

The Public sector is a total absolute monopoly the kind of things Tesco bosses have wet dreams about. They can be as inefficient as they want as wasteful and as lavish on wages as they want they can bulldoze £20 notes into a fire if they want to...This is because they are a total absolute monopoly.

I cannot ignore them I cannot make them go bust like woolworths. If I choose to ignore them my legs get broken. To add insult to injury I get sent a bill for having my legs broken too.

Same with telling every one he's going to dump lots of gold onto the market before doing it.

He isnt the kind of man you'd put in charge of finance. Oh yeah, thats exactly what liebour did.

Wrong. It's the ConDems who want to put GP's in charge of finance with their proposed restructuring of the NHS!!