House Price Crash Forum
Tired of Waiting

The Bbc's Negative Influence On Housing Gave Me An Idea

As many of us know, the BBC has failed to warn the nation regarding the credit/property bubble, and quite the opposite, even helped to inflate it, with property shows.

I was reading some interesting American news, where their Supreme Court will decide if their government has the right to force people to buy something - in their case, health insurance:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-03/virginia-to-ask-supreme-court-to-hear-health-law-case-update1-.html )

Opponents say the health plan is unlike anything the Supreme Court has ever approved because it would require people to take action: either buy health insurance or pay a fine. Hudson said no Supreme Court or appeals court ruling authorizes Congress to “compel an individual to involuntarily enter the stream of commerce” by buying something.

I am not a lawyer, I was just wondering what the EU Courts of Justice would say if a citizen/subject of a member country were to complain that his/her government was forcing him/her to pay an annual fee to the state propaganda department. :unsure:

:)

The said government could even try to say that the fee was not really to pay for the propaganda machine, that it was some general "TV license", and that it was just a coincidence that most of the collected money ended up in said state propaganda machine.

The said government could even try to say that the propaganda machine was a fully independent body, with full independence to set the editorial line that most pleases its highly educated "fonctionnaires".

I wonder if these defences would be convincing. :)

Edited by Tired of Waiting

I wondered if we could use the EU in some way.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=158405

Yes, I just read it. Good points there. I had though on similar lines before. Human Rights are always a matter of balance. One family's right to a shelter is obviously stronger that another's family right to know that their village is 8 miles from their neighbouring village, instead of 7.9 miles. Believe it or not, this argument has frequently been used. Bonkers. And evil, really.