House Price Crash Forum

Where Do I Stand- Garage Not Useable

HOLA441

Hi,

Not a huge issue, but moved into current property recently after searching for places with a garage. Found one, but turns out the door is broken, which was not mentioned by the agent. Now, I know these things may take several hundred quid to put right, so I'm not hell-bent on it being repaired, but at the same time it is an inconvenience as we have two cars and I would like to put one in it. We are now settled in so a quick move out is not an option.

I've raised these points with the agent, and am waiting for confirmation of whether the repair will be sanctioned by the owner. If the repair is refused, what can I reasonably ask for as recompense?

There are no additional costs incurred (the driveway accomodates both cars so no parking permit required) but at the same time I wanted a garage to use, and had I known that this one did not work, I honestly would not have viewed the property.

Edited by cheeznbreed

HOLA442

I think your landlord could reasonably be expected to have it fixed! You are renting something that is broken!

My garage is unusable as a garage becuse my car won't fit, but I can't blame the landlord for that! :huh:

HOLA443

Does your contract have a clause about rooms that are unusable, and the obligations of the LL or impacts on rent?

Ours does, but that doesn't really help you.

Whether it does or doesn't, if the LL does not sanction repairs, I would look to renegotiate the contract, counting up all the rooms in the house and counting the garage as a room, so typically 8, and taking 1/8th off of the rent. (or 1/9th if you have 9 rooms, etc)

Do this in a constructive and understanding way as possible. Doing it in an arsey and demanding way usually doesn't get anywhere.

HOLA444

Does your contract have a clause about rooms that are unusable, and the obligations of the LL or impacts on rent?

Ours does, but that doesn't really help you.

Whether it does or doesn't, if the LL does not sanction repairs, I would look to renegotiate the contract, counting up all the rooms in the house and counting the garage as a room, so typically 8, and taking 1/8th off of the rent. (or 1/9th if you have 9 rooms, etc)

Do this in a constructive and understanding way as possible. Doing it in an arsey and demanding way usually doesn't get anywhere.

Agreed, and thanks for (both) the replies.

Will update as and when I hear back regarding the landlord's position.

c'n'b

HOLA445

Personally i'd do it in floor space, IE if the garage makes up 10% of the total floor space of the house (useable rooms) then i'd knock 10% off the rent etc

HOLA446